Question About Petit Fours With Poured Fondant

Decorating By brink317 Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 3:24am by dandelion56602

brink317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brink317 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 9

I made petit fours this past weekend. They turned out excellent, but I have a question about pouring the fondant on them. Should the whole side of the cake be covered? I had icing flowing down the sides, but the whole side didnt get covered. Didnt know if there was a petit four "standard" for how they should look. Thank you!

8 replies
dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 9

Not sure on a standard, but I think they are suppose to be. Ones I've seen are & I make sure mine are. I like to use a 1 oz ladle to help pour. Learned that from the lady on the Martha Stewart show. It really helped me.

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:44am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Not sure on a standard, but I think they are suppose to be. Ones I've seen are & I make sure mine are. I like to use a 1 oz ladle to help pour. Learned that from the lady on the Martha Stewart show. It really helped me.

Do u have a link to see it? I looked on the martha sewart's website, but I couldnt find it.

dandelion56602 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:53am
post #4 of 9

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=46b4e608ce2b1110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&lastnavigatedchannel=d23a2798cf2ee010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&rsc=taxonomylist

I think squares must be harder to cover the sides. I have to "concentrate" on the corners when pouring. Plus mine are 1 1/2 x 1 1/2", that may make a difference

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:34am
post #5 of 9

I've had terrible results with poured fonatn myself. I guess I just don't "get" it. the first time I did mine, was just cake, and they were gloopy and not covered. Then I read "buttercream, THEN poured fondant" yeaaahh... another step! And a hard one! well they didn't turn out much better, and I used a piping bag so as I could get to the unattended spots on the side.
Well they were garbaged. HOW do they get the petit's fours so wonderful? I've read also about dipping them, but am far too discouraged to try it, as the icing is pretty thick in general. MAybe I just need a better recipe haha.
I know I've been no help myself, but perhaps someone in the know could shed some light!

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 9

I think they turn out better if you dip them in chocolate..... Add a Tablespoon or 2 of crisco to the coating and it stays softer also do them frozen for less crumbs.

dandelion56602 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 9

Found the website that I did it like. It really did work! My most time consuming was the pouring of the poured fondant.

http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/2008/01/lisas-easy-petits-fours.html

brink317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brink317 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:22am
post #8 of 9

dandelion,
I too followed that same website recipe, but I used the WASC recipe for the cake and they turned out wonderfully! Im gonna try to find a small ladle, like they show on Martha Stewart to see if I cant get the sides covered more. I have an order for these and figure if I can get the sides covered all the way, the cake wont dry out as fast. I may try to find a tall round cutter as well, it definitely looks like the sides cover better when they are round!

Thanks for your help.
cute name btw!

dandelion56602 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:24am
post #9 of 9

Thanks. Yes I believe something w/ rounded edges would be easier to cover. I just had dang problems getting the bottom of the corners to cover. I actually poured a little away from the top edge, but down the side focusing on the corners, in a slow stream & that seemed to help. I'll be making some again tomorrow. You wouldn't believe how moist the actually stay. I was totally surprised. Even 3 days later! I too need to find taller cutters. I have 1 taller round cutter I may see if I can cut the squares that are in the freezer now. if not, oh well, next time.

Oh, I found my small ladle at the local Food Wholesale Supplier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%