How Do I Do This...?

Decorating By maggles Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 11:46pm by maggles

maggles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggles Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:32am
post #1 of 13

Can anyone tell me how to achieve the effect on this cake? Or something similar to it?

I can't tell if the designs are piped on, if they're some sort of impression..? Any ideas, hints, tips, tricks would be appreciated! icon_smile.gif

Maggles
LL

12 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:39am
post #2 of 13

I can't tell for sure, but to me it looks like someone used a patchwork cutter and applied the cutout to the cake.

It could be piped, though, it's a little far away to tell for sure. Unless one of you eagle eyes out there can see it better than I can...

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 10:35am
post #3 of 13

I was thinking about maybe the lace molds or the patchwork cutters also... could also be brush embroidery icon_sad.gif

I dunno.. I'm sorry I am of no help.. but I can't really see the pic to good either..

enchantedmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedmoments Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 10:52am
post #4 of 13

I'm thinking brush embroidery too

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:04am
post #5 of 13

I really think that is a silicone lace mold although now I am looking at it again and it really does look like brush embroidery....HMMMMM...we are all stumped...that usually doesn't happen...I am sticking with the mold though...I keep going back to it and the more I look at it the moreI think it is a mold....

wgoat5 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:06am
post #6 of 13

it does look like a mold... I wish we could see a closer pic.. I even tried to save it and bring it in but it just got fuzzy icon_sad.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:44am
post #7 of 13

The picture is so difficult to see.

Can you give us the source for this pic? Was it on a website?

I increased the pic to 125% on MSPaint, and this is the conclusion I came to:

It reminds me of an embossing rolling pin, because of the edges of the features. The edges remind me of the edges of the cornelli lace embossing rolling pin that I have. It's hard to explain, except to say that when you look at a feature made from by an embossing rolling pin, you can see that it is the same material as the background. The edge is very soft, and blends into the fondant behind it.

If you look at the center of the second tier, on the bottom of the raised feature, there is no seam like you would get from a mold. If it is a pin, my best guess is that the feature is about 4 inches wide, and the pin is 6-8 inches long.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:46am
post #8 of 13

Theresa you are soooo full of information!! Start a class my friend!!!!

BTW LOVE the avatar today icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:56am
post #9 of 13

Thanks, Christi.

The avatar is dedicated to my boy, Taz, who is now gone from us. He was one of my best friends, my protector, adn my best food critic. He was also the smartest dog I ever knew.

And yes, I will be teaching classes after I move into, and have organized, my new home.

By the way, Christi - I'm now waiting to hear from the sellers, to see if the FHA-required repairs will be done by closing date, which has been pushed to April 29. If they are not done by then, we will have to move closing to May 23, so I do not have to spend a lot in pre-paid interest, etc.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

maggles Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:11pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks for all the ideas! The picture was sent to me by a friend; it's what she wants on her wedding cake. No idea where she got it, though.

I, too, struggled with the fact that it was taken from a distance and therefore hard to see the details. So I thought someone on here might recognize the technique and be able to tell how it was done. I don't have as much experience as many of you, so haven't seen nearly as many cakes or techniques!

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I'll probably start playing around with some of the ideas and see if I can come up with something that looks similar.

-Maggles

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:14pm
post #11 of 13

you can get that effect with raised plaster stencils as well

playingwithsugar Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:15pm
post #12 of 13

Hold it, Newbie!

You have to promise that when you figure it out, you will let us know, ok?

We want to see who was right!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

And welcome to the forum!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

maggles Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:46pm
post #13 of 13

I promise I'll come back and let you know which of you was right. Hmm...maybe we should start a pool... icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%