Epicurious Double Layer Chocolate Cake Recipe-Cocoa Powder ?

Decorating By monizcel Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 2:16am by JanH

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 7

I have been reading another thread on CC about this recipe.

It calls for unsweetened cocoa (not Dutch Processed). Which cocoa powder did you use if you have made this recipe.

I know that Hershey's is okay (not Dutch Process) but have you used a higher quality chocolate?

6 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 7

I've used Hershey's most of the time. When I can find it, I use Gheridelli (sp???). I do notice a difference, but the cake is still excellent even with the Hershey's.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:56am
post #3 of 7

Hershey's is the primary brand that you'll find in grocery stores. They are now making Hershey's Special Dark cocoa, which is a blend of natural and Dutched cocoa and is actually pretty good.

In general, I'm not a fan of Ghiardelli's or regular Hershey's. Not enough chocolate "punch" to it.

Places like Williams-Sonoma, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods usually have natural cocoas that are more "upscale". TJ's own brand of organic is very good, and Whole Foods usually carries 2-3 brands. Williams-Sonoma will carry top notch (and top price) brands.

Shopping online for premium cocoa is still probably your best bet. While the quality of available chocolates has surged and is far more easily available, it's still not overly easy finding high quality unsweetened cocoa.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:21am
post #4 of 7

i use a local brand and this recipe is good even with that.

i might make this today.

psanders76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psanders76 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:41am
post #5 of 7

Ive used Hershey's and it turns out fine. Havent had any complaints yet.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:44am
post #6 of 7

as far as availability at my local grocery store, i like ghiradelli alot. i also prefer the hersheys special dark much more than the plain hersheys cocoa. i love the dark rich color it adds to cake and cookies.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:16am
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%