Mickey Mouse Cake

Decorating By Boofycakes Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 2:10am by Molly2

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 9

Help! What is the best way to make this Mickey Mouse? A customer of mine found this cake online and I'm not sure how they did it. It looks to me like they used a Mickey Mouse cake pan as a giant chocolate mold and then decorated it with Royal Icing. But I'm not sure. I dont have a Mickey Mouse pan, and I cant find one at the store. I dont think I have enough time to order one. Any suggestions? And the arms look like PVC pipe or dowel rods, and the hands look like chocolate again. Any good idea on how to keep these parts from sagging or moving? I'm worried most about the weight of the head. Thanks!

http://www.susystastebuds.com/images/Birthday_Mickey_Mouse_Nicholas.jpg

8 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 9

Cute Cake I would use rice-crispies and dowels

Molly2

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 9

Isn't the image flat?

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 9

There's a cake similar to this one in the Wilton Yearbook, except it's of Elmo. That's exactly how the directions say to make it; to fill the pan with color coordinating chocolates and let harden and take out. Hope that helps. As for the Mickey pan I haven't seen that one but maybe check ebay? Or you could print out a picture of Mickey and make a edible image instead using Chocolates or Royal Icing. Royal Icing would probably be more stable though. Just my opinion I'm sure others might have better suggestions for ya. icon_smile.gif

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 9

You cannot really tell exactly what size it is, it kinda looks like the mouse head is a large cookie that is iced with buttercream stars and either royal icing or colorflow.

The arms look like large (very large) dowels with drawn hands, but you may be able to make those out of cookies, too. The hat is just an ice cream cone covered in fondant.

I would go with Molly on this and maybe try to make the head with rice crispies and use fondant for the face. Having a cake sitting up stright like that sounds like a receipe for disaster to me!

It's a very cute cake.

kels_bells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kels_bells Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 9

So cute! It looks like Mickey and his hands are color flow/royal. Maybe with card under? I can't see it being cake. His arms look like dowels covered in fondant.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 9

I'm pretty sure we have the same or very similar cake in the gallery. Maybe the original decorator could help you.

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the ideas! I think rice crispies sound like a good idea... I've never tried it before. Do you just grease up your hands real well and then shape it by hand? I dont have the pan, or else I'd try greasing that and pressing it in. Then do you just let it set? (I've never made rice crispies believe it or not, I'm vegetarian, I make a different kind with corn syrup, but I dont think they will work for this)

Thanks everyone!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:10am
post #9 of 9

I made a baby cradle out of rice crispy and I just used the reg recipe after mixing I shaped it I did this a week ahead of time and after I let it sit for a couple of days I kept looking at it and didn't like the shape so all I had to do was put my shape in a plastic bag put it in the microwave for a few seconds and reshape it and it came out even better the rice crispy seem to hold it shape. so even if you make a mistake you can warm them and reshape them Good Luck!

Molly2 icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%