Price For Cake

Decorating By chas21 Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 1:54pm by chas21

chas21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chas21 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 6

What wouls a typical price for a basic wedding cake that served 75 people be. It's just going to be buttercream frosting and few decorations. icon_eek.gif

5 replies
mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 6

I guess it would depend on your level of expertise. Are you a beginner or will it look like a professional did it? I am a beginner and cannot produce the cakes that I see others do on this website. I personally would charge $125.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 6

It really depends on where you are. I can tell you that I charge $4/servings for buttercream, but it may be different for you. I woldn't do a cake for less than $3/serving though.. it's just not worth it. icon_smile.gif

Make sure that you use an appropriate serving chart too. I use a hybrid of a few and found out it's pretty much what Collette Peters uses. Most people use the Wilton wedding chart.

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 6

It does depend on your location, but my prices start at $2/slice for buttercream. I'd add a little for the decorations and don't forget about delivery and setting up the cake(s). Also if you need to provide a cake riser, I usually give that to the client at my rental cost unless one is provided by the location. If you have to go back after the reception to pick anything up, I'd include a small amount for that in the delivery charge.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 6

I'd say if you can't produce a professional looking cake.. you shouldn't be making wedding cakes. Party cakes are fine, but wedding cakes should be left to those who can give a bride exactly what she wants. Not to sound mean at all.. it's just that wedding cakes are that special once in a lifetime cake that can be THAT important. icon_smile.gif

chas21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chas21 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 6

Luckily my two wedding cakes that I have done have been for family and friends. I have not had any complaints so far (knock on wood). I let them know that it's my what ever number in wedding cakes. I have been doing cakes off and on for over a year now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%