Icing Slid Off My Cupcake Bouquets

Decorating By just_desserts Updated 6 May 2008 , 2:43pm by Emmerdoo

just_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_desserts Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:52am
post #1 of 5

I made my first CCB today & they came out alright for a first try. icon_smile.gif I iced with BC, medium consistency. I let them set 30 minutes, then attached to base. So far, so good. Came back 30 minutes later & two of them had no icing icon_redface.gif it was laying on the counter. Replaced those two with new CC then I'm at my party 4 hours later & someone says "Your icing has fallen off!" icon_cry.gif What am I doing wrong? I'm to give a demonstration to our church ladies in two weeks. HELP!

4 replies
dttcb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dttcb Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 5:29am
post #2 of 5

I always construct my bouquet first, then add the UN-frosted cupcakes! Make sure they are nice and secure, THEN I add the frosting. I think the less they are moved while frosted, the better!

Also, make sure your cupcakes are as flat as possible- now is not the time for pretty domes on your cupcakes! I put a cookie sheet on top of my cupcakes (while still in the pan) while they cool. I haven't ever had icing fall off!

Good Luck! HTH!!

Debbie thumbs_up.gif

just_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_desserts Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks, Debbie! I still have some un-iced cupcakes left, I'll try icing them while on the base and now that I think of it I believe the ones that fell off were larger CC. None of mine had a dome, but some were fuller than others. I'm also going to try making them with a little stiffer icing also.

Your CCB are beautiful!

Thanks again,
LaWanda

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 5

try using a BC with a tad bit more shortening... my icing fell off when the BC was more on the dry side. It needs to be really creamy so it sticks while it is crusting.

and I agree with Debbie - stick them on first, then ice. (I use either RI or piping gel on the bottom of my cupcake (on the paper part that is right against my celephane covered ball), then I use long bamboo skewers through the cupcake into the styrofoam and let that set for at least 30 minutes. Then I use the pruning shears to cut off the excess skewer.

Oh - it also helps to use day old cupcakes. The fresher they are, they more likely they are to rip right through your supports.

I make several of these a week now - these are just a few of the things that I have discovered through trial and error.

Hope it helps!

Emmerdoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmerdoo Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 5

I am so glad for this posting! I have gotten several orders for Mom's Day CCBs and I have been worrying about this exact scenario. I mean this is Mother's Day, other than her birthday what holiday is devoted to Mom?

Thanks again for the suggestions,

Happy Caking,
Em

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%