Florida License Q's

Decorating By deld Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 7:37pm by kwalsh4

deld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deld Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:18am
post #1 of 12

Hello floridians,
I seem to be getting more and more orders, Im pretty new to decorating but for some reason people seem to like my cakes which of course makes me very happy! I havent advertised or anything, its just a friend of a friend of a friend....

My questions are:
1- how far can you go without a license, what can you do and cant do as far as advertising, etc?
2- how do I go about getting my license here in FL, where do I get it, etc.

TIA for your advice, everyone here at cc is so very helpful all the time!!
D

11 replies
grace4boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grace4boys Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:29am
post #2 of 12

Good question. I live in FL also and have the same questions/dilemma. Hope things work in your favor.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:34am
post #3 of 12

I'm sorry I don't live in Florida anymore so I'm not sure the regulations. I know in Georgia, to get started I just called my secretary of state corporations division and they gave me the phone number from there to get started. I was told by my health inspector that once I was licensed I could advertise as much and wherever I wanted, like car magnets, business cards, etc. I hope this helps even though I'm not in your state.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:36am
post #4 of 12

You aren't supposed to advertise although I know a few people that do. I guess it depends on if you want to take the risk or not.

Here's where to start. http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/fs/foodsafe.html

Do you want to open your own shop or build a commercial kitchen on your own property? or have you thought about renting a kitchen from another business?

The state allows you to convert a garage but you can't have any access to your house from the garage once converted. Then you need to make sure your city zoning will allow it in your area.

I just spent the day calling the Dept of Agr. my city, fire inspector blah blah.... it's daunting. Whatever they tell you make sure you talk to a supervisor, because you'll get different answers from different people.

Good Luck with everything!

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:16am
post #5 of 12

I didn't think you could build or have a separate kitchen in Florida unless you get a zoning variance? I live in Florida and had to go storefront before I could even sell cake number 1.

Can't bake from home, unlic kitchen.

It's not really too hard to get the permits if all you are doing is custom cakes and not a full on bakery.

Good luck.

deld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deld Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:54am
post #6 of 12

thanks everyone! I dont want a full on bakery, I just want to do a few custom cakes per request per week. I have agreed to turn our garage into a kitchen but I need to call the city snd see what the regulationd are. icon_smile.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 5:16am
post #7 of 12

Well, hope you get some answers ... I'm in Jacksonville, FL and it is HARD! Unless you have like extra 30K in your bank account OR if you can find a kitchen where they want to rent you a space, I haven't been THAT lucky!

And not only they want a commercial space but all commercial grade appliances! Expensive!

Good luck and would love to hear what you find out!

Ohh, and converting your garage, can only be done if zoning in you area allows it! Mine is residential ONLY! No business, even if I agree not to recieve customers at my house, only bake and deliver!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:45am
post #8 of 12

We converted a separate building at our home into my cake shop. It wasn't as hard or as expensive as I thought it would be. We bought a lot of equipment at auctions and saved lots of $$$.

The state is very strict on food rules. You can not advertise in any way, or you could face a fine. The state rules are set and very strict. On top of that each county may have additional rules. What part of the state are you in?

You may want to search through the business forum. There is a lot of information on this subject there.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

We converted a separate building at our home into my cake shop. It wasn't as hard or as expensive as I thought it would be. We bought a lot of equipment at auctions and saved lots of $$$.

The state is very strict on food rules. You can not advertise in any way, or you could face a fine. The state rules are set and very strict. On top of that each county my have additional rules. What part of the state are you in?

You may want to search through the business forum. There is a lot of information on this subject there.

Not to highjack the thread, but your website and cakes are stupendous.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:27pm
post #10 of 12

it sounds much like AL laws..... however I do have a separate kitchen in my detached garage, but I had to go before the zoning committee and get a variance... it wasn't too hard. I hope you get the answers you need, you will find your biz boom even more when you advertise... I have had people say I saw your ad in the eagle at Christmas (and they are just now calling!!!) must have snipped and clipped it.... good luck.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:34pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButterWench

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

The state is very strict on food rules. You can not advertise in any way, or you could face a fine. The state rules are set and very strict. On top of that each county my have additional rules. What part of the state are you in?

Not to highjack the thread, but your website and cakes are stupendous.

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_lol.gif Thanks so much. I finished my website a month or two ago. I did it myself, so there are still things I want to improve on. As for my cakes, I've been a member here on CC for years and learned so much here. My cakes wouldn't be half as good if I had not found CC! thumbs_up.gif

kwalsh4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwalsh4 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 12

I have checked this out already. In Florida you have to bake out of a certified kitchen. This means the kitchen you bake out of has to be licensed and then they will come out and license you after they inspect the kitchen. You cannot work out of your own kitchen.
I have looked into renting kitchen space and might have a lead.

Let me know what part of Florida you are in.
You can pm me.

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%