Sugarshack Videos And Some Other Newby Thoughts

Decorating By Taigen Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 8:04pm by Petit-four

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I don't get to decorate and post here as much as I would like but I just had to post about the sugarshack videos I ordered. I am pretty new to decorating and decided to order them. Well I have to say how pleased I am, there were hints and tips all through the videos and they were very easy to watch, not boring or "dry" at all. Sharon is very comfortable and welcoming in them. Both the buttercream and fondant videos had lots of info for I'm sure all levels of decorators but I can only speak from my novice level. I am really pleased that I ordered them and that I pre-ordered the stacking one. Sharon is very friendly and eager to help with any questions.
On another note I also ordered some books and cutters recently from Global Sugar and the books from a Canadian online service.
While Global Sugar is wonderful and very freindly to deal with, Canadians should be warned that our customs did charge extra on top of the shipping charges to allow it into Canada. That being said some of the items I ordered I simply could not get here or the regular price here was prohibitive. I would certainly order from them again but now knowing our customs office will charge us extra.
The books I ordered were Toba Garretts "the well decorated cake" and "professional cake decorating"....to be honest in my opinion they are basically the same book but with considerable price differences. The second book is more like a study text and cost just under $50. in Canada while the first is soft cover plain reading and was just under $20. Both books had almost the exact same content. Needless to say the more expensive one was returned.
I also got a couple of other books about gumpaste that when I thought were pretty good...Nicholas Lodge and Scott Clark Wooley.
Anyway...these are just thoughts from a newbie in this field but I am looking to expand my knowledge base from a hobby perspective and thought these recent purchases were helpful to me.
Taigen

5 replies
sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 6

Thank you for sharing your input on these videos and books. I certainly appreciate it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:27am
post #3 of 6

I think Sharon's DVDs are the best money I ever spent. She explains everything step by step and there is no guesswork.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:34am
post #4 of 6

I have her videos also they are great. Sharon does a wonderful job and I have been pleased with her videos also

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 6

I wish she had a value pack so to speak where she sold all her videos in one set. Does she do this? I am excited to see them after reading all these great posts on her.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:04pm
post #6 of 6

Taigen --

thanks for sharing your findings on Toba's two books -- I was thinking of getting the larger one, and now I won't. I especially enjoy discussions about cake decorating books, and look forward to reading more of your reviews. thumbs_up.gif

Petit-four

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%