Royal Icing Flowers & Colour Flow - Total Drying Time

Decorating By xstitcher Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 9:48pm by xstitcher

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 10:54am
post #1 of 11

Hi All,

I asked this question in an old post that I found but I just realized that it was under the heading "cake disasters" This is not really a disaster more of a general ? so I thought I would post it here. I hope that this is okay.

Here's the ?:

My Wilton instructor told us that it takes at least a couple of weeks for RI to dry? Is this correct? The reason I ask is that my 4 year old accidentally knocked some of my RI flowers and my colour flow birds for my class II final cake. If I make more today (both the RI flowers and the colourflow) will they be dry by the time I need them for class on Tuesday or will they breakdown from the BC?

Thanks! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

10 replies
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 11:15am
post #2 of 11

You can speed the drying time of RI by placing them in a drying chamber (use silica gel, but never let it get near anything edible), or, I usually take a cookie sheet, place a cooling rack on it, lay down 1 paper towel on the rack, and then a sheet of waxed paper with the flowers. The paper towel "wicks" moisture away, and the cooling rack allows air to circulate under the flowers. I can often get flowers ready in 1 day -- smaller ones are rock hard.

I'm guessing Alberta has low humidity now...so I hope this might work. Would also help your color flow dry quickly as well.

But in high humidity...yes, it'd take longer. icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 12:29pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks Petit-four,

I'll try that out this afternoon!

Have a great weekend!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 11

A couple of WEEKS?? Well, yeah... if you live in the Amazon rain forest! In high humidity, it will take maybe 3-4 days for RI to dry. Under normal conditions, 24-36 hours - depending on how thick you RI is. When I make royal hibiscus, it's pretty thick at the base and still only takes 2 days to dry.

Petit-four gave great advice. If your items are too small to place on a cooling rack, you can also place them on a foam sponge which will allow air to circulate all around. Make sure the surface is dry so they don't stick, of course.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 11

I always get annoyed when people are given out wrong information. Your WMI was wrong. The small flowers you do in Lesson two will actually dry in less than 24 hours, usually over night. The larger flowers will take atleast 24 hours and maybe a little longer if it is very humid. The flowers done with the Lily nail in course 3 could take 2 days or more to completely dry because they are deeper.

I always tell my students for color flow you want to give it atlast 48 hours to dry depending on the size of the piece. If you want to spend up the drying time of the flowers or color flow pieces you can place them in the oven with just the oven light on. Always put a note on the knob to remind you or anyone else not to turn it on. I have had great luck drying things over night this way, even an 8in piece of color flow.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 12:57am
post #6 of 11

You're welcome, xstitcher!

And thanks for the ideas about the sponge and oven methods...always enjoy learning new things! icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 3:35am
post #7 of 11

Diane, TexasSugar & Petit-four,

Many thanks to all 3 of you! You have put my mind at ease and given me 3 great methods to use to dry my flowers!

Hope the rest of your weekend is great!

Cheers from Snowy Calgary (We've had it non-stop since yesterday and it's gone from 78F last week to the negatives this week! I sure miss Houston!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 3:38am
post #8 of 11

and for the truly impatient....

oven at 250 for 30-45 min.

don't ask me how i know icon_rolleyes.gif

xstitcher Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 4:29am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Really Doug? Know I definitely have to ask......Um...how do you know?????

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a bash for the flowers I'm not so enamored with. I'm having a heck of a time with the daisy!

P.S. Do you put the RI flowers on wax paper/cookie sheet then into oven or directly onto cookie sheet? Also, could I put the colour flow birds in as well?

Thanks again Doug!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Really Doug? Know I definitely have to ask......Um...how do you know?????

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a bash for the flowers I'm not so enamored with. I'm having a heck of a time with the daisy!

P.S. Do you put the RI flowers on wax paper/cookie sheet then into oven or directly onto cookie sheet? Also, could I put the colour flow birds in as well?

Thanks again Doug!

I once was in a rush and needed 30 some lilies ----

so... made them in the aluminum foil as suggested.

put them right onto the oven racks -- base hanging down between the wires (the wires on my racks are just the perfect distance to hold them this way. pushed in racks, turned oven on, 30 min later...tah dip -- they were dry as dry could be -- even all the way to the bottom.

-- no better here on daisies -- i avoid them too.

--- wax paper on cookie sheet makes it easiest to handle them.

just keep that temp at no more than 200 - 250

and very small thin flowers will dry even faster than those foil wrapped lilies.

xstitcher Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 9:48pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks Doug!

All the info is much appreciated!

Cheers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%