Preventative Cake Layer Bulging Question!

Decorating By lserafin Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 3:04pm by FromScratch

lserafin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lserafin Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 2

Hello! I only bake cakes for family parties and so I am not as seasoned as you pros out there. Here is my question.

My sister's birthday party is on Sunday (today is Friday). Yesterday I baked the cakes and let them sit overnight. Today I was going to fill the layers and crumb coat it. I have read a lot about making the dam for the filling but here is my question...

If I do all of that this afternoon, should I put it in the fridge overnight until I cover it tomorrow? I have read that I should let it sit for a while to see if the layers bulge a bit, and then to correct it before covering it, but if I don't plan on covering it until tomorrow should I refrigerate it or leave it out on the counter? If I refrigerate it, won't it just harden up and I wouldn't know if it was sturdy or not? But if I don't put it in the fridge, isn't it a bad idea to leave out a buttercream frosting and a chocolate truffle filling for that many days? I was planning on refrigerating it but now I am having second thoughts.

Anyways, that was my plan. Let me know if I should be doing something else! Thank you thank you!

1 reply
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 2

WHat I do is.. fill and crumb coat the cake.. let it sit out for an hour to settle and then pop it in the fridge if I am not going to frost it right away. Wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and let it come to temp before frosting it. icon_smile.gif

What's in your truffle filling? is it just ganache? If so then it's fine to leave it out and you wouldn't have to put it in the fridge, but I probably would. Usually I don't bake until 2 days before the event.. but an extra day won't ruin your cake. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%