Fondant Revival Needed Here - Whats Your Fave/best Fondant?

Decorating By wrightway777 Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 7:11pm by SMcDonald

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:07am
post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

bobhope- Whoa! Titanium and gum arabic...where in the world do you get those? I've never seen a recipe with Titanium in it.

i got this recipe from my fondant class. the school here sells titanium, & gum arabic.i believe they got it from the US..sorry, i couldn't be of more help.. i tried this recipe again last sunday, kneading it w/ cornstarch instead of powdered sugar (as what i was in taught in class) & covered a dummy cake,& lo & behold it is still ok until now. it has been pretty humid here for the last 4 days & the fondant still looks great. unlike before, a slight change in the weather makes a big change in the fondant.. i think i finally found the solution to the problem icon_biggrin.gif

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:44pm
post #62 of 79

bobhope - I think the reason you are seeing that is b/c powdered sugar wicks moisture from the air. Thats why I changed my "dusting pouch" (really is the foot of a new knee high stocking - works great) to be 1/2 PS and the other half cornstarch. On really humid days I will just use cornstarch (the other knee high). icon_wink.gif

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:58pm
post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

bobhope - I think the reason you are seeing that is b/c powdered sugar wicks moisture from the air. Thats why I changed my "dusting pouch" (really is the foot of a new knee high stocking - works great) to be 1/2 PS and the other half cornstarch. On really humid days I will just use cornstarch (the other knee high). icon_wink.gif

yup wrightway, you're right indeed, more sugar, more moisture..thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:19pm
post #64 of 79

I use Satin Ice but have problems with it. I also use Wilton for sculpting and decorations that won't be eaten. The Satin Ice is soft and stretchy and it wrinkles. Anyone else have these problems?
I have tried several MMF but I don't like how they don't mold as nice as wilton.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:24pm
post #65 of 79

I'm a Satin Ice fan all the way. Never had a problem with it. I am experimenting with mixing it with Pettinice fondant which is softer -- will keep you posted on the results! icon_biggrin.gif

dadams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dadams Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:43pm
post #66 of 79

saving this thread for information on fondant
trying to decide to make or buy my first batch

JensAddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JensAddiction Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:22pm
post #67 of 79

I haven't branched out yet from the yucky Wilton fondant, but definitely plan to on my next project. Which kind do you guys think holds up best to heat/humidity? Would I be better off with SI or something similar, or should I try one of the MMF recipes?

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:48am
post #68 of 79

I thought I would continue with my fondant reviews...

I enjoy the flavor of Cal Java, tastes similar to choco-pan, but I found the consistency to be better and less sticky overall.

Used pettinice to cover a cake today, the flavor is a tad better than satin ice in my opinion. I think it's better than satin ice, but for the price difference, it's not THAT much better.

What else should I try??

I've done Satin Ice, choco-pan, pettinice, cal-java and ML.

My price to quality and workability and durability puts Satin Ice in the lead so far.

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 2 May 2008 , 6:00pm
post #69 of 79

Newbie, here. I made my first fondant cake last night and I wish I'd read this thread BEFORE I'd made it! I used Wilton fondant, because I didn't know any better. I thought I was losing my mind...I thought, "This fondant takes awful!" And I've already given my friend the advice to eat around it...so embarrassing!

I've ordered some Satin Ice and will experiment from there.

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:07am
post #70 of 79

Can Michele Foster's fondant recipe be turned into chocolate fondant?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:36pm
post #71 of 79

i just ordered 10 lbs of satin ice. i can't wait to try it. i'm also going to try michele foster's recipe because i've heard so many good things about it.

MMF worked for me 2/3 times. it's not consistent and with the crazy weather here it just doesn't cooperate at times. i hope michele's recipe will fare better.

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:45pm
post #72 of 79

can someone pm or email me the address of the site where the satin ice and cocopan is on sale, please

mjarvis78@gm ail.com

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:08pm
post #73 of 79

thanks for the great tips, everyone!
i've only used mmf, but i do agree that it takes me a really long time to make all the batches i need and to color it (esp. red and black!). i'm def going to try satin ice and choco-pan.

i'm a little confused as to how expensive it will be because I never used lb measurements. Does anyone know about how much it would be to cover a three tiered cake in satin ice? what about choco-pan?
thanks!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:48pm
post #74 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegut

Can Michele Foster's fondant recipe be turned into chocolate fondant?

Yes, I usually just add about 1 cup of chocolate chips to the batch. If you want it darker brown, then just add some brown food coloring. Adding a bit more glycerin and/or butter will help make the chocolate softer. The chocolate is definitely stiffer than the regular. You could also reduce the amount of powdered sugar to help with this. When mixing, just watch it closely to see when it is the right consistency. It should be sticking to the dough hook without drooping, but it shouldn't be slapping around the bowl. icon_smile.gif

Michele

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 May 2008 , 6:57am
post #75 of 79

how much does one batch of michele foster's recipe make?

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:01pm
post #76 of 79

It makes about 4-5 pounds. This is just a guesstimate because I've never weighed it. I just used the weight of the ingredients to come to this conclusion.

Michele

Emmerdoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmerdoo Posted 7 May 2008 , 9:02pm
post #77 of 79

Ok, let's be completely honest, shoe leather tastes better than Wilton fondant. That said, I like Satin Ice for the price and Choco-pan for the taste. Is it bad to say that I will eat Choco-pan by itself?

HTH,
Happy Caking,
Em

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:28pm
post #78 of 79

i hope it's alright to revive this...

just made my first ever batch of Michele Foster's Fondant. I love it. It's easy to work with, tastes amazing!

I haven't tried to cover a cake with it yet but i'm already excited to do that. icon_smile.gif

Thanks Michele for sharing this with us and for always answering questions.

SMcDonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMcDonald Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:11pm
post #79 of 79

I must second the huge thank you to Michelle Foster for your wonderful Fondant!!! I was seriously discouraged by the taste, cost and need to preorder any decent tasting Fondant until I tried yours. It did take a couple times making it to get the hang of it, but now it is so easy. Thank you!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%