Torte Keeps Oozing

Decorating By Dawanka Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 5:20am by JanH

Dawanka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawanka Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 6

Every time I have torted a cake it keeps oozing out the side. I have made the BC thick and used it as a damn but it still keeps coming out. I don't know what to do. Anyone have any ideas?

5 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 6

How thick is your filling? Maybe you're making it too thick. Also, a trick with the dam, don't run it around the edge of your cake. Make it about a 1/4" inside the cake edge so when you put the next layer on top, you can squeeze it slighty and it won't squish out.

Also, I wonder if your icing still might not be the right consistency? Your dam needs to be really stiff.

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 6

You may be using too much filling. What size cake were you doing? If you PM me I'll send you the chart tonight when I get home from work.

I used to have this problem. I put a thin layer of icing down first, then make super stiff icing and build the dam making sure to kind of squish it together where the ends meet to ensure that it wouldn't leak from that point. I put the filling in smooth it out so it's as level as it can be. If my filling looks like it's really close to the top of the dam, i do a second layer of the dam. I put the top cake on and press down a bit. I take more of the super stiff icing and seal the seam on the outside of the cake. I then let it sit for a bit just in case it wants to start I can catch it and stop it before any icing is put on but I haven't had any problems to this point.

hope it helps
alicia

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 6

Agree with the other poster, stiffen up that dam. Also, the filling should not come above the dam. I usually use a #12 tip to pipe my dam. I've never had the problem of the filling coming out.

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 6

I had gotten advice from IndyDebi on the dam issue. She had said she didn't use a tip, just put a coupler in the bag and used that. I tried it and yup no problems

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:20am
post #6 of 6

Sleeved pastry filling requirements by cake layer size:

http://tinyurl.com/2gay6n

Wilton tiered cake making & decorating help links:

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/makecake/index.cfm
(Has illustrated torting & filling help links.)

I also use the large coupler and med/stiff frosting to make pretty substantial dams. icon_smile.gif

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%