Wilton 3-D Giant Cupcake Pan

Decorating By anku Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 6:26pm by norma20

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 17

I have to do a big 3-d cupcake and was thinking of buying the 3-d wilton cupcake pan.
What's the review among cc'ers who have used it? Is it easy to use or difficult? Any tips?
How many people will it serve? I have to do a filling....how should I go about doing it??

Thanks so much in advance.

16 replies
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:23am
post #2 of 17

Its ok. I dont hate it, but its kinda a pain in the butt to use. Knowing what I know now about it, I probably would have bought it, but made sure that it was on clearance instead of paying $20 for it.

First of all, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT fill both sides and bake at the same time. Fill one side, and bake, depan it, and then fill the other side and bake it. The two separate sides have different bake times, the top bakes much quicker than the bottom part and if you do it together the top ends up burnt.

If you are planning on covering with frosting, you arent going to be able to cut the bottom in half and then fill. It makes the bottom look funny. You will have to fill only between the top and the bottom, which doesnt leave much for filling.

Make sure that you level and then level again, because if you dont get it just right, the top ends up looking lopsided.

Good luck finding someplace to store it! Its so big and such a funky shape that its hard to find a decent place to store it in your kitchen.

anku Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:24am
post #3 of 17

Wow! Thanks so much for the tips Jayde. Now, I'm thinking...is there other way making 3-d giant cupcake other than buying this pan????
Any idea how many will it feed? It need 25 serving. If it doesn't then I'm surely not buying it!

Please let me know.
Thanks for all the help.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 17

The bottom is about a 5 inch round, so I would just say that one is somewhere between 6 and 8 servings. I cut mine in pie slices, but thinner than usual, because its so tall. Still you will get less than 10 servings from one.

Now, if you wanted to get really creative, and you arent too scared of basic carving, try and make your own large cupcake, if that is what you are going for.

Take a 8-inch round level and stack 3 2-inch layers filled and leveled. Bake another 3 2-inch layers in a 10-inch size. Level, fill and stack. Visualize a cone shape for the 10 inch stack, carve your cone shape by shaving off bits of cake until you get the cone shape that you desire. Once you place the top onto the bottom and do the swirl of icing, you wouldnt ever know that you didnt use the pan, but your is bigger!

Just a couple of things to keep in mind:

Make sure that you put supports in your cake of some kind, because it will be top-heavy. Place a 10-inch cardboard round under the top before you place it on the cake. This will make deconstruct easier, cutting easier, and it will help you to place your cake so that you can readjust so you get it in the exact center.

Good Luck!

I want to see a picture when its done!

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:02am
post #5 of 17

I baked botton and top at the same time.

The botton was torted, moistened, filled with a little chocolate ganache and went to the fridge to firm up. Later it was turned upside down, crumbcoated with a thin layer of buttercream and covered with chocolate ganache.

The top part was also torted, moistened and filled with chocolate ganache. Top and botton parts were "glued' together with more ganache.

With a big round tip and a pastry bag I made a swirl of ganache on the top.

Only problem is that I could't find a place to hide that pan. It's in my bedroom now.
LL

norma20 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #6 of 17

Sorry, after looking at the picture I noticed that I used another tip for the swirl, not the big round one. icon_redface.gif

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 11:56am
post #7 of 17

I baked both at the same time too. I just baked at a lower temp. Had no problems at all. I didn't torte it, just a nice layer of b/c between top & bottom. The lady I made it for loved it!
LL

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 17

I am another one who baked the top and bottom separately. I tried to do both at the same time and ended up with a burnt top. Love the chocolate bottom on your cupcake, Norma 20!

norma20 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 17

Thank you busymom, the birthday girl was really happy with her cake. Next time I will put a birthday candle on top, instead of a cherry.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:03pm
post #10 of 17

I also have a giant cupcake pic in my photos, I think on the 2nd page ! I gave it a different look.If anyone wants to take a peak ! I love the pan , had no problems baking both parts at once !

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:07pm
post #11 of 17

How does is bake though? I'm not a fan of the darker cake/cookie pans because it tends to bake things faster and dries them out. I have't bought it for that reason. Now if it were a nice silver matte pan, I'd have dropped the $30 for it.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:13pm
post #12 of 17

Well, this pan came out after I bought a large brioche pan to make a giant cupcake, so I didn't buy it.

I just used the brioche pan for the bottom and half of the sports ball pan for the top. The picture is in my photos. It wasn't my best work, but, the birthday boy loved it!

Beth in KY

norma20 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:16pm
post #13 of 17

The cakes baked very well, not dry.

The recipe that I used was Chocolate Sour Cream Marble Cake from a book called Passion for Baking (borrowed from the library).

The cake itself, without filling or frosting weighted 2 lb (5kg 300g).

norma20 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:19pm
post #14 of 17

My big cupcake pan was bought at Michaels with 50% discount coupon.

Bethola, what a great idea, I do have a brioche pan too.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:31pm
post #15 of 17

I find it to be just as moist as my other cakes ! I do bake at 325 though. I also just bought the same look pan only for reg size cupcakes ! so looks just like the giant cupcake only reg cupcake size ! Havent tried it yet just got it 2 days ago !

anku Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:28pm
post #16 of 17

Thank you so much for all your responses! Just 10 servings.....maybe I'll have to so something else!
Actually, this is the link that my client sent and wants me to do a big cupcake to feed 25 people.
http://www.celebrateexpress.com/celebration/Pages/Products/Product_BD.aspx?sku=E2286

Apart from carving, what are my other options?
Also, If i do carve, how much should I charge??

Thanks in advance.

norma20 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:26pm
post #17 of 17

Anku, you are right, if it weights 2 lb (1k), it will give around 10 servings.
Well, 3 big cupcakes on the table will look beautiful and will feed 30 kids.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%