"natural " Coloring

Decorating By kwalsh4 Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 2:51pm by kwalsh4

kwalsh4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwalsh4 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone use or know of any color dyes that I can use that are natural? I have a client who is allergic to regular food coloring and I have seen some natural food colorings but have read that they can have a strange flavor.
I wanted to see if anyone has used one of these who can tell me about the taste.
Thanks!

7 replies
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 8

I don't know the extent of the color range you are looking for, but some strawberry juice can make butter-cream a nice light pink (don't use any other liquid). Also, try chocolate (brown) and vanilla (ivory). If it was a wedding cake, you could make a quite elegant cake without needing to use any other coloring, but I don't know what you had in mind. icon_smile.gif

Wilton also states that it's Daffodil Yellow is an "all natural color...does not contain yellow #5." You might want to give their customer service a call to be sure.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 8

Were you speaking of commercial coloring, or from your own materials?
Natural colorings can have a taste. Pastels are easiest, as there is not so much coloring added. Is there a particular color you have in mind?
I make pale yellow by using all butter in my buttercream; for Ivory I add double the amount required of Mexican vanilla. Other pastels can be made by adding fruit purees or jelly. These will all have a flavor that needs to be taken into account.
I hope this helped a little.

Glory77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Glory77 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 8

Hi there! The cakes I make are 100% natural, organic and so I have used natural food dyes in my recipes. Here's the link to the company who sells them www.indiatree.com (they also sell natural sprinkles & sanding sugars!) You can search on their site what the closest retail store is to your location...Hope this helps! thumbs_up.gif

funtomake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtomake Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 8

i dont know what you colors you are going for, but how about blueberry juice, pomegranet juice. ive never tried it, but it seems it wouldnt take a lot to make a great color. these are just 2 i can think of right now.

Glory77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Glory77 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 8

sorry...here's the link to their natural line..just so you're not confused, as they do have a normal artificial line as well!
http://www.indiatree.com/products/decorative/natures_colors/index.html

funtomake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtomake Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 8

p.s from blueberry and pomegranite juice idea. i would use the fresh fruit. not the juice concentrate.

kwalsh4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwalsh4 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the tips.
Glory77--Have you used the colorings from India Tree and if so did you find any taste to them? The cake that is wanted is based on Super Mario so it will need dark colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%