Duplicate Photos Are Not Allowed - Does Anyone Read This?

Decorating By KathysCC Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 12:10pm by KathysCC

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:20am
post #1 of 85

Here is a quote from the Cake Central Gallery Terms.

"Duplicate photos are not allowed.
You may upload 1 photo of a cake and choose the most appropriate photo gallery for that 1 photo. On occasion its OK to upload a different angle of your cake, but we prefer you only do that if it the other photo shows entirely different details of the cake, that are not visible at all in the other photo. Please try and limit any "different" angle photos to just 1, that way there are not more than 2 photos in the gallery of the 1 cake."

You click a button that says "I agree with the terms - Upload picture"

Does anyone read this????

I know this subject has been beat to death here in the forums but PLEASE! I have been browsing CC tonight for the first time in quite a while. The front page has been clogged several times with 2 and 3 pictures of ONE CAKE!

It is so unfair to everyone else uploading pictures and the viewers of the pictures and to the creators of this FREE website when the rules are totally disregarded.

Everytime I see this happen, I almost feel embarassed that our members are not respectful of the conditions of using this website. I also wonder how much database space would be freed up if everyone removed their duplicate pictures.

It just seems that we should be respectful of this site's creators and thankful that we can still use this site for free and help everyone by obeying a few simply rules.

Thanks for listening.

84 replies
meowkitty30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meowkitty30 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:32am
post #2 of 85

I agree 100%! Thank you for bringing it to everyones attention, yet again thumbs_up.gif

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:32am
post #3 of 85

Agreed.
And not just "a different angle" but a COMPLETELY different angle of the cake, not centimeters!, and only if its beneficial to the cake, showing some intense details of the cake that we can't see in the original.

I only ever pick one angle that shows the best part of my cakes.

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:36am
post #4 of 85

Sorry I am sooo guilty for not reading it, and someone a few weeks past pointed it out to me. Which makes sense becuase it takes up space. I apologize, I am going to delete my duplicates. SORRY!!!!!

Thanks for the reminder!!

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:36am
post #5 of 85

I second that. Threads like this are useful to remind people of the rules⦠While we may all be tempted to showcase the best of our âbabiesâ (ahm, cakes) and look for peer praise and admiration, one photo is enough! Well... except in rare cases of elaborate, exceptionally detailed work or completely different view that cannot be displayed on the main photo and many people can learn from. It is one of my pet peeves on this site as there are only so many angles of purple buttercream roses that can be taken pictures of!

And again, the subject of collages⦠They can be quite useful in this context! One image, multiple photos on it, 5 minutes of extra work on the computer, and everyoneâs happy!

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:43am
post #6 of 85

thanks for the info.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:47am
post #7 of 85

As a Gallery Supporter, I feel awful for some beautiful or first time cakes that have been shuttled away due to the multiple uploads. But really, those that this pertains to won't change. But it's nice that it still brings attention when brought up.

Or maybe we just all get carried away/excited about our new 'babies'.

I just personally hate to see all those great cakes in the uncommented pages.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:53am
post #8 of 85

KathysCC, while I agree with you, CC is not always the safe environement envisioned by Jackie & Heath.

Your reasonable restating of policy might result in your being flamed by members who don't feel they should be reminded of CC policies. (Ask me how I know.)

A safer alternative to dealing directly with this issue would be to report the photo/s using the "report photo" button.

Good luck. icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:21am
post #9 of 85

I'm glad I've seen this post. I have a some photos I have to upload (I just get so engrossed in all the info posted here that by the time I remember it is in the wee hours of the morning & I have too put it off for another day!)

Now that I am aware of this I'll definitely remember it for when I get around to posting my class picks!

Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

KathysCC Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Your reasonable restating of policy might result in your being flamed by members who don't feel they should be reminded of CC policies. (Ask me how I know.)
A safer alternative to dealing directly with this issue would be to report the photo/s using the "report photo" button.

Thanks JanH. Though I have seen heated discussions in the past on this subject and I have been flamed for joining in on them, it seems (so far) that this thread has been more informative than controversial. (thank goodness). I'm not afraid of being flamed. I do believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I am very proud of our members when they can keep a thread like this polite.

I do hate to report too many photos because I don't want to overload Jackie and Heath. I think it would help if we keep one another informed. I PM'ed someone last night who uploaded a photo of their customer holding a cake. (no pictures of people allowed rule) Sometimes people just need to be made aware.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:17pm
post #11 of 85

KathysCC,

If you report the photo(s), the mods will handle the report(s) icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone for keeping this on a positive side thumbs_up.gif

KathysCC Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:08pm
post #12 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

KathysCC,

Thanks Stephanie, I did not know that. icon_smile.gif

Can you give us all a quick course on what a gallery supporter member is and how to become one AND what a moderator is and how to become one? I did a search of the forums but could not find a description.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:19pm
post #13 of 85

You know... a great way to deal with some of this is... even if it IS a different view.. maybe post it a couple hours later.. that way others photos may be viewed instead of one persons cakes or cookies or cupcakes icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 5:24am
post #14 of 85

Where to sign up as gallery supporter:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forums-groupcp.html

Everything you ever wanted to know about being a gallery supporter:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-139751-.html

HTH

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:01am
post #15 of 85

Yikes, I just realized I am guilty of this too. I put up a second photo of a couple cakes to show detail or the back side of the cake.

Thank you for the reminder. I won't do it again.

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 10:37pm
post #16 of 85

Thanks for the post, KathysCC, I completely agree with you.... It's good to know the moderators will address that! Now if you can just get people to put to put a self-explanatory subject on the "Subject:" line, all my pet peeves will go away. icon_smile.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:09am
post #17 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

KathysCC,

Thanks Stephanie, I did not know that. icon_smile.gif

Can you give us all a quick course on what a gallery supporter member is and how to become one AND what a moderator is and how to become one? I did a search of the forums but could not find a description.

Hi KathysCC,

Our wonderful JanH has posted links on becoming a Gallery Supporter ...THANKS JANH...YOU'RE A DOLL icon_biggrin.gif

As for becoming a moderator, Jackie and Heath makes that decision. The mods monitor the forums and try to keep the peace when threads become heated icon_smile.gif Make sure that threads are placed in the correct forum(s), answer pm's from the members, take care of reported posts and pictures...other duties as necessary to help Jackie and Heath maintain the forums.
thumbs_up.gif

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:58am
post #18 of 85

Thanks for the reminder. thumbs_up.gif

I like to think that those who post 3 or 4 pics of the same cake just don't know about overloading the system and bumping off other cakes.

JanH Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:40am
post #19 of 85

You're very welcome, stephanie214. icon_biggrin.gif

But it was nothing compared with all the services you and the other moderators perform on our behalf. tapedshut.gif

So THANK YOU, stephanie214, you're an unsung CC HERO. thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:01am
post #20 of 85

Jan you don't scare me so much anymore (avatar)

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:34am
post #21 of 85

I would love to be able to upload one photo, let alone two. Been trying for about 4 days now and keep getting an error. Never had troubles before. icon_cry.gif

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:46am
post #22 of 85

I agree... lately, it seems that I see one picture of a great cake, but by the time I finish reading forums, that cake is gone, to be replaced with one cake and four pictures of close-ups of the characters on the cake.

I like the collage thing. I've done one of them. icon_smile.gif It's really very simple to do, if you have Paint on your computer (and if you have windows, you have Paint, as far as I know!) I think it took me all of ten minutes to make my last collage and post it. icon_razz.gif Use that, if you want to upload lots of pics of the same cake. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the reminder! I think I have two duplicates that were put up before the rules on the photo page changed. I'll take care of that very shortly. icon_smile.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:57am
post #23 of 85

I'm going to go see if I'm guilty, I know I have some pictures of the bow on top of the cake does that count? I don't want to break any rules either. Thanks for posting this. icon_biggrin.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:02am
post #24 of 85

Thank you thank you for bringing this up! I love to see all the new cakes on cc but have a hard time getting through the galleries because of so many dup's.

I hate doing a 'report this photo' because I dont want anyone to feel bad.

How is it explained to the person with the duplicate? Do they get a 'nice' email stating the issue?

Toniprev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toniprev Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:09am
post #25 of 85

I think what everyone agrees on, is 2 photos max.... if the 2 photos show completely different angles of the cake.. i.e. front and back.. or top & bottom. I hate it when there are 4 or 5 photos of the same cake... same angle.. just close ups... BIG waste of space!

Getting back to moderators stopping threads becoming nasty....... I think many times threads are not locked quick enough... we have all read many threads involving pages and pages of nastiness.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:11am
post #26 of 85

I would just like to post ANY pictures..... since the "change", I haven't been able to post anything..... sighhhhhhh

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:23am
post #27 of 85

Completely agree! I just looked at the last uploads, and in the last 4 pages alone 9 members are guilty of unnecessary duplicate pictures! I wouldn't mind if the rules didn't come up every time you upload a photo. but it does! It especially peeves me when, as a PP said, gorgeous cakes end up barely seen because of such selfishness - sorry, rant over!

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:24am
post #28 of 85

I definitely didn't know this when I was new. I went to delete the duplicates yesterday and some couldn't be deleted because they were in a few people's favorites. Otherwise, I deleted the duplicates and won't do that again. Sorry.

In my defense, I honestly don't remember that notice being up when I first joined and started adding pictures.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:22pm
post #29 of 85

i don't think some people do read it...that's why there's multiple photos uploaded. once you upload you can't delete it. i think everyone needs to know that so they can be careful not to upload more than one picture.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:46pm
post #30 of 85

Actually you can delete it. Just go into 'my photos', click on the picture you want to delete, and click 'delete picture' under it. It will ask you to confirm. I did this for several of my duplicates this morning. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%