Manly Looking Basketweave

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 3:43pm by pjaycakes

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 9

I have a request for a 50th birthday cake for a man. They want basketweave on the sides and chocolate numbers on one side of the cake and some kind of division and "Happy Birthday" on the other side. Kind of like my 65th Birthday cake in my photos. No flowers, but the colors are turquoise and yellow. How am I suppose to make this combo manly looking. Any and all suggestions welcome.

8 replies
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 9

I would do it in brown or chocolate frosting, and do the basketweave with a star tip -- it's more rustic and manly looking.

pjaycakes Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:26am
post #3 of 9

I like the idea of the star tip; however, she said she wanted white for the basketweave. I guess if I made the turquoise very deep colored and the yellow very goldish it might look less like a Care Bear cake icon_wink.gif

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:20am
post #4 of 9

Have you seen the new Martha Stewart basketweave? There is a tutorial on this site somewhere, IMHO it looks less girly than the traditional basketweave.

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:23am
post #5 of 9

Have you seen the new Martha Stewart basketweave? There is a tutorial on this site somewhere, IMHO it looks less girly than the traditional basketweave.

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:30am
post #6 of 9

Some people should just not be allowed to make color and design requests!!! icon_smile.gif
Unfortunately I cannot be of much help since Iâve never done basket weave, just good luck with this order!

mrsbink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbink Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:40am
post #7 of 9

a friend of mine did a basketweave with a #12 round tip once. It looked really rustic, nice though. That might make it a bit more manly. Good luck with it! icon_confused.gif

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 9

Hmm, basketweave with a tip 12? I love that idea!

pjaycakes Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:43pm
post #9 of 9

I guess she had all night to mull over her choice and has now gone for a whole different look (totally). She sent me this picture (credit given to whomever did this cake, I don't know where she got the photo). She wants a 9" square with a 6" round on top and the colors to be white, black, turquoise and yellow. Much more doable. Thanks everyone for the great basketweaving tips I'll definitely keep them in mind.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%