Can You Freeze Filled Cake?

Decorating By LeckieAnne Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 9:22pm by LeckieAnne

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 4

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked before - but I can't find it. Can find many topics about freezing cake - but not about fillings.

Can you freeze cake already filled? I'm making a friend's baby's 1st birthday cake - six 4" fabric looking baby blocks. I work full time - and icing and covering with fondant and decorating all six is going to take me quite some time. I know I can freeze the cake, I've done that many times. But... I thought it would really help me if I could bake, carve them, and stack and fill the six cakes and freeze them. Then all I have to do is frost them and decorate the day before.

If it matters - 3 will be WASC filled with buttercream mixed with strawberry jam. 3 will be WASC with choc chips and chocolate buttercream filling.

3 replies
SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 4

Sure can, do it all the time. Just make sure it is completely defrosted before you start decorating. 24 hours under refrigeration usually does the trick for me.

LeckieAnne Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 4

Oh - thank you!! I was trying to figure out my timeline -- and I think if I couldn't -- I'd basically have to eliminate a couple of days of sleep to make it work! icon_smile.gif

LeckieAnne Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 4

Ok - one more question -- do I let them come to room temperature before I frost them? Or do it while they're cold right out of the refidgerator?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%