How To Make The Plaques/scrolls With The Wording On Them?

Decorating By ANicole Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 6:19pm by ANicole

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:29am
post #1 of 11

You've all seen them. Some people put decorative little scroll type things or plaques, I guess, in front of or on top of their cake and put the name or wording on that instead of directly piping onto the cake. How do I do that? How do you all get the typing so perfect? Seeing as it's most likely gumpaste or something hard, can I just type it on non-edible paper?

If someone has detailed instructions for me, I would so appreciate it!

Thanks!
Amber

10 replies
CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:48am
post #2 of 11

BUMPING for response...

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:18am
post #3 of 11

There are several ways to make these plaques. Most of them are gumpaste so they harden. For the words, you can print out the message on your computer using a font you like. Then you place the paper over the plaque and using a pin, poke holes to mark the letters and then pipe over the marks.

Alternatively, transfer the message onto a piece of tracing paper and on using a pencil, trace over the letters on the reverse side of the paper. Then, place the tracing paper on your plaque and trace over the letters on the correct side. This will leave an pencile outline on the plaque and you can pipe following the outlines.

Hope this explaination makes sense.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:41am
post #4 of 11

The ones that I have done were fondant. I painted them freehand with paste food color and then let them harden. You can't use the paintbrushes that wilton sells...you need a script liner brush which you can buy at a craft store (don't use one that you've used with any paint).

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 11

i make the plaque out of GP, then using my projector and an edible food marker pen, write the message on the plaque.

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 11

I make my plaques out of gumpaste then use a tappit cutter to make the words. These are great little cutters that come in capital or small letters. If you look at my grooms cakes, you will see what the letters look like.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy1

I make my plaques out of gumpaste then use a tappit cutter to make the words. These are great little cutters that come in capital or small letters. If you look at my grooms cakes, you will see what the letters look like.

I use gumpaste/and or fondant and the tappits too.. I love them, give a very professional look I think.. Several in my photos..

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 11

I love the idea of using a projector! My daughter has a Disney Princess projector that she HAD to have, and now has abandoned....I wonder if I can sneakily swipe it??? <evil thoughts flowing>

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:07pm
post #9 of 11

My husband calls that liberating it!!!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:38pm
post #10 of 11

Oooh, that's a much better way of rationalizing it!! lol

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:19pm
post #11 of 11

So do you guys hand mold your plaques? How do you get them to look so nice?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%