Fresh Strawberry Filling

Decorating By Nette2007 Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 1:23pm by cakerygirl

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:11am
post #31 of 67

cake angel, I can only giggle when I see your avatar and then read your posts about the vodka and g.m.
How much of this is actually going into the jam? tee-hee!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:50pm
post #32 of 67

LOL!!! You are too funny. You know I am not sure why the bottle keeps getting empty. Just kidding!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:00pm
post #33 of 67

I know this is getting off topic, but cake angel, I just keep laughing!!
This is the biggest joke with my boys! Everyone that comes over and may have cake or whatever, they tell them about the 'supposedly' vodka adhering the fondant pieces together, 'or so Mom says'. And then they always add "but we haven't had a cake in months!" Ha, ha. And to a NON decorating person, they really wonder!
Now to add Kirsch to that counter! ha, ha.

cake-angel Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:09pm
post #34 of 67

LOL!!! I totally know what you mean. My everclear bottle seems to get empty really fast from painting with lustre dust. I also have a collection of liquers for baking with. My husband is always joking that we sure have a lot of alcohol for people who rarely drink!! The secret flavoring for my buttercream is Butterscotch Schnapps!! I have Kirsch too for black forest cakes!

Gatorfan01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gatorfan01 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:27pm
post #35 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake-angel

The secret flavoring for my buttercream is Butterscotch Schnapps!!

I am SO going to have to try this. I love Butterscotch Schnapps (mmmmm).

Wish you had posted this yesterday before I made my buttercream for my class.

Do you use the BS in place of the water?

cake-angel Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #36 of 67

I will use it to replace some of the water.

Here is my recipe:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 pound of icing sugar (by weight)
1 tsp Vanilla
2 tbsp Butterscotch Schnapps
1 Tbsp Water
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp meringue powder (I don't use this as often now except in really warm weather)
****The key to avoid a gritty or overly greasy texture is to really cream the butter and shortening together until there are absolutely no lumpy or granular bits at all. It should be a consistant color and very creamy looking. At this stage add the liquids and mix until they are completely absorbed. Then add the icing sugar, salt and meringue powder (if using) and mix until completely blended. I will then add the extra liquid a 1 Tbsp at a time until I reach the consistancy I am looking for.

This recipe in the amounts written in the ingredient list makes a stiff consistancy buttercream. At this stage I taste it. If I feel it needs more I add more - If I am happy with the flavor I just switch to water to get to the consistancy I want.

bethmck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethmck Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:57pm
post #37 of 67

Back to strawberry fillings for just a second...I tried two CC strawberry filling recipes the other day. They are basically the same except one uses frozen unsweetened strawberries and a pat of butter. The other one (Cake-Angels) uses fresh strawberries and Grand Marnier. The results were worth sharing.

I am sure that the second one would have been the very best choice IF I had access to fresh picked, local strawberries but in Oregon, this time of year, the strawberries are from warmer southern climates far far away and though they looked perfect, the berries were not able to sweeten and develop flavor on the vine. The frozen ones were picked at the peak of flavor perfection and had less seeds. In the Cake Bible, Rose Levy Beranbaum advocates frozen berries for that very reason plus you get more juice. I like the idea of fresh, in the summer, but will be using frozen ones in the winter.

Also, that pat of butter made the frozen berry filling a little creamier which I liked. I wonder if we can add butter to Cake Angel's fresh strawberry filling?

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:13pm
post #38 of 67

I would like to try cake-angel's strawberry filling recipe. Would someone be kind enough to post it? Please. Thank you.... icon_smile.gif

cake-angel Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:19pm
post #39 of 67

I don't see why you couldn't. It is more of a flavoring when you add that small amount. I haven't actually tried my recipe with frozen berries and have only made it in summer but I don't see why a person couldn't (I use the same basic method when I do raspberry filling with frozen raspberries.). You just wouldn't really have the slices in there as frozen berries tend to deflate when defrosted. With frozen berries you would pretty much have to cook all of them. (or add a few slices of fresh to the cooked frozen ones right before filling the cake.) Just thinking out loud here!

cake-angel Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:41pm
post #40 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

I would like to try cake-angel's strawberry filling recipe. Would someone be kind enough to post it? Please. Thank you.... icon_smile.gif

Hi -- Sorry I haven't PMed you yet but I don't actually have the recipe written out as I used the one linked earlier in the thread as a base and then changed things. I tried to explain what I changed but I know it is not clear to some people. I will try to write it all out with measurements next time I make it but this is not great strawberry season here yet. I suppose I could try sometime this week using the imported berries that are around but I think the amount of cornstarch will still have to be adjusted everytime a recipe is made as the amount of moisture in the berries themselves can vary alot during a season.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:49pm
post #41 of 67

Cake angel, your's sounds great.

When I have an order for fresh strawberries, I just take them and slice them, sprinkle a fair amount of sugar on them and then add about a teaspoon of vanilla, and just about 1/2 tsp of almond emulsion. I stir it all together and let the berries sweat out. Now I myself and my clients like the berries right on the cake with no buttercream, then the syrup seeps in and makes the cake super moist and yummy. I only do this one the morning of the party. So I'll have it all ready to go, bows or other decs made, cake baked and cooled. Make the berries and have them sit for about 30 mins while I make bc and such, and then assemble the cake. Not sure how long it would last out, so I don't take any chances. If someone is picking up the day before, I let them know it has to be refrigerated.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:49pm
post #42 of 67

The filling sounds yummy!! Let us know how everyone likes these 'wonderfully filled' wedding cakes!

Jopalis Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:51pm
post #43 of 67

Oh...thank you. When you get around to it, is fine. I tried the other one on here that has the liquor in it and honestly it turned into a mess. Thick at first but after adding cut strawberries it wasn't thick anymore. I planned 3 cakes for a party and this made me one less cake. I wonder if anyone uses gelatin instead of cornstarch?

Jopalis Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:56pm
post #44 of 67

The one ladyonzlake posted about is the one I used and I or it failed miserably.... Not sure what I did wrong. I followed the directions. It was nice at first but after a while it was soupy.... I didn't trust it in a cake...

idali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idali Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:56pm
post #45 of 67

This recipe sounds amazing. Thank you so much.

IC

cake-angel Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:14pm
post #46 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

Oh...thank you. When you get around to it, is fine. I tried the other one on here that has the liquor in it and honestly it turned into a mess. Thick at first but after adding cut strawberries it wasn't thick anymore. I planned 3 cakes for a party and this made me one less cake. I wonder if anyone uses gelatin instead of cornstarch?

Thank you for being patient with me. I didn't realize this topic was going to end up so popular. The recipe you mentioned was the base recipe I started with but I do find I need to add up to double the cornstarch to get the thickness I like to start with (again this depends on the berries in the first place.) Also I make sure the cooked portion is covered in plastic wrap that is touching the filling and completely cooled -- (usually make the night before, cool and refrigerate overnight.) I keep the fresh berries in the fridge as well. When it is time to put the cake together I pull out the cooked filling and the fresh berries, wash them in cold water, pat dry on paper towels and slice and add to filling. I then immediately fill and assemble the cake. I find that it stays pretty good that way. The leftovers I put in the fridge do get a little less firm after a day or two but still thick enough I would be able to fill a cake with -- usually my leftovers end up on my morning toast!

As for gelatin -- I am sure you could use it -- the only reason I don't is that I have never thickened anything other than Jello with gelatin and have no idea how to go about using it in a cooked filling. I am definately willing to be taught if anyone wants to share the method of using gelatin as a thickening agent and how it holds up when it is brought back to room temperature.

mamajan61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamajan61 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:41pm
post #47 of 67

The method that my mama taught me uses the fruit pectin that you get in the canning department. The pectin has always held up for us much better than the gelatin method... but maybe it has to do with the climate... I'm in the Mississippi heat, so the pectin has proven itself over and over with me.

Good luck with whichever method you use. I'm sure it will be wonderful!

Jopalis Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:30pm
post #48 of 67

I have used pectin for making jams.... Makes sense that it would work. Does it just say on it how much to use? I don't quite like the color and consistency with cornstarch.

mamajan61 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:36pm
post #49 of 67

I use the pectin to make my peach preserve fillings, my raspberry fillings, strawberry, everything. It holds up fantastic. You can use the directions on the box. My mama modified hers to taste more like the fresh fruit, but either way, it works for me... it worked for her for YEARS...

cake-angel Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:08pm
post #50 of 67

Hmmmm...... Interesting. I think I will have to try that out and see how it compares to how I already make fillings. Note to self .... add pectin and strawberries to the shopping list. I wonder if any of my neighbors would like a free cake??

mamajan61 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:37pm
post #51 of 67

Honestly, it is absolutely the biggest hit with my cakes. I have seen people arguing over the last piece of cake with strawberry filling at weddings. It's hilarious, but at the same time, very complimentary... My mama knew what she was doing!!! Let me know how it works out for you.

cake-angel Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:42pm
post #52 of 67

I like the idea of pectin as Gelatin seems to me like it might start to melt at room temp. I know what you mean -- The cakes I get the most compliments on are the ones with a good homemade fruit filling!

mamajan61 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:50pm
post #53 of 67

I haven't had any problems at all with it melting, and I'm in the heat of Mississippi... my mama was in Florida and she never had any problems. I can't wait to hear the results when you try it... I just always make sure to put a thin thin layer of buttercream on the top of the cake I'm putting the strawberries on... it kind of holds everything in place.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:54pm
post #54 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajan61

I don't know if this will help, but many years ago, my mama started making cakes with strawberry filling. Refrigeration was not a real popular thing in the south... You really had to have a lot of money if you wanted a refrigerator or television for that matter... But, living in Florida, the strawberries were plentiful.

After she got her refrigerator/freezer, she would make "Strawberry Freezer Jam" and keep it until someone ordered one of her strawberry filled cakes.

To this day... I still use her recipe. When the strawberries are plentiful I make SEVERAL batches of freezer jam and keep it in the freezer until the order comes in for strawberry filling. I thaw the strawberry jam out... put a thin thin layer of buttercream between the layers... make my dam on the side with the butter cream and fill it up with the strawberry jam. Everybody loves it. I've had brides tell me they wish they would have had every tier filled with the strawberry jam due to the fact that people were almost fighting over the cake.

Freezer jam is the simplest way for me as long as you have freezer space to keep it. Florida strawberries are not plentiful year round like they are from California, so I usually make enough to last me a year, then I'm ready for the next season.

Hope this helps....

could i get a copy of this recipe? I have a strawberry cake with strawberry filling and cream cheese icing to do on the 24th. Thanks, it sounds wonderful.

catbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catbakes Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:16pm
post #55 of 67

mamajan61 could you also send me your recipe, it sounds too good to miss out on!! I have a cake order next week and they want strawberry filling and I'm a little nervous about it, I've never used filling before.

marie92001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marie92001 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:13am
post #56 of 67

Hi,
I am new to baking and doing another "practice" cake for a friends mothers birthday next weekend and she would like a white cake with strawberry filling. Can someone please send me an easy recipe ( that i cant screw up) hahaha
(sorry not sure how the pming thing works on here yet)
Thank you!
Donna

cake-angel Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:05pm
post #57 of 67

Okay Everyone!!!!

Here is the Recipe you have all been asking me for. I had a cake order just this past week wanting fresh strawberry filling and so I measured everything as I made it and came up with a recipe for you with measurements!

Cindy's Fresh Strawberry Filling

2 pounds washed sliced strawberries (weighed after slicing) - to puree
1 pound strawberries (to add to filling before putting in cake)
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp Grand Marnier
2 Tbsp cold water
5 and 1/2 Tbsp Cornstarch leveled

1) Puree the 2 pounds of strawberries in the blender. I do not strain as I like everything in my filling except for the green leafy tops.

2)Mix lemon juice, liquer, cold water and cornstarch in a mixing cup with a fork or small wisk.

3) Place puree in a large sauce pan and add sugar. Cook on medium heat stirring occasionally until it just starts to boil.

4)Give the cornstarch mixture a quick mix and gradually pour into berrie puree while stirring. It is very important to keep stirring during the addition of the cornstarch so that it doesn't form clumps.

5) Once the cornstarch is added boil for two minutes while stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

6) Pour into a container and place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the filling. Let cool to room temperature and then refridgerate overnight.

7) When you are ready to fill your cake - wash and slice the 1 pound of berries and stir into the filling. Fill cake and enjoy!

*****Hints and Tips*****
To check if the mixture is thick enough after the two minutes of boiling after adding the cornstarch you should be able to drop filling off of a spoon and it won't completely disappear back into the mixture. It should coat the back of a spoon quite thickly.

You could substitute orange juice for the grande marnier but I think the flavor would change a bit and it may take some experimenting to be sure it is not to much orange at 2 tbsp. I have not tried this so I cannot say how it will effect the flavor. If anyone does try this please post what you thought.

I mixed the berries into the cooked part on Friday and the leftovers have been kept in the fridge (did I mention this is good on toast -- LOL) It is still thick and perfect for filling a cake. I will be putting some in the freezer to see what happens but I am confident it should be fine.
The little cake I made looked great cut and the filling did not turn my white cake pink.

Okay there it is!!! I would love feedback on the recipe.

Cindy

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:40pm
post #58 of 67

Please let people know when using alcohol in a cake. The alcohol does not all cook out. Especially if you are just adding it to the icing for flavor! http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/AlcoholEvap.htm My DH father is an alcoholic and has been sober for 25 years. He is very proud of this and would be devastated it he ate a piece of cake that ruined it. I think you should treat it like a food allergy and let people know what it is not non-alcoholic when you give it to them.

cake-angel Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:37pm
post #59 of 67

I can see your point. I make cakes for my immediate family so I don't generally worry too much about wheather there is a tiny aount of alcohol used for flavoring -- especially since my vanilla extract says it contains 45% alcohol. Also if no one mentions a food allergy to me I don't worry about it. If they don't tell me there is an allergy how am I supposed to know it is a problem.
Anyway-- I am just posting the recipe for those that are interested in it.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:43pm
post #60 of 67

I didn't mean it directed at you. I'm sorry if it seemed that way. icon_redface.gif I would actually like to try your recipe. That's why I clicked on the link. I've not had much luck with strawberries. I just meant, that everyone who puts alcohol in their cakes should let the recipients know that it contains alcohol. What they do with that information is up to them. JMO. icon_smile.gif

~Mindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%