Suspicious Email- Please Read

Business By Lenette Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 4:14pm by donnajoy

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 6:11pm
post #31 of 56

Craigslist has a warning for emails like that. I received so many of them when I had some items listed on Craigslist...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 6:11pm
post #32 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

I swear, people work so hard at defrauding people. Why don't they just get a real job!!! Every time you turn around, there is a new version of the Nigerian scam.

If they'd only use their powers for good instead of evil! icon_biggrin.gif

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 6:12pm
post #33 of 56

I received my email beginning of April - mine was almost exactly as what you received. The only difference this time around was that they supposedly wanted to come pick it up.

Who in the heck wants to pick up a wedding cake for 250 guests, not to mention who would LET a customer pick up a cake for 250 guests? I simply replied back I was booked and wished them luck...lol

I just looked in the mirror and nope I didn't find it, no I'm a Sucker written anywhere on my forehead!!!

Alicia

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:29am
post #34 of 56

I got this and spent a lot of time. He was in Washington state. I even asked him if that was the wording he wanted, and he confirmed it.

The scary part was he was willing to pay me over $1,000 for the cake and shipping. He said he had gotten the shipper and the shipper would come to my house, but he wanted me to pay the shipper. All the alarms went off, and I promptly told him no. also, he would never call me on the phone, which I would never fill an order via email only.

indydebi Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:56am
post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzybee

also, he would never call me on the phone, which I would never fill an order via email only.

maybe he was nervous about hearing his (insert name of any foreign country involved in this scam) accent.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:06am
post #36 of 56

I got quite a few e-mails from someone on craigslist like this. The spelling was wrong and the English was kind of broken on all of them. It just didn't make sense. They wanted to buy our vehicle we listed for sale, but give us a check for $3000.00 more than what we were asking and then give the extra money to some other person who would come to pick it up. We did not do it of course. But was a little unnerving since we thought at first we had a buyer. This is why I don't list anything on craigslist any more. Definitely don't reply back. Sounds suspicious to me.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:31am
post #37 of 56

Ok this is sad but my mom worked with a man who fell hook line and sinker for one of these scams.

One day he came in to the office (to quit his job) telling everyone how he was going to be a millionaire very shortly.
Turns out he received an email from a widow some where in Africa, she had 50 million dollars of her husbands money that she needed to get out of the country due to some bogus reason. So if he could give her all his personal info, SS#, bank account #, cell phone, home address, mothers maiden name, all that important stuff you arenât supposed to share with people then she would simply transfer 50 million into his account and he would then transfer the money into another account for her and he could keep 25 million of it.

So he gives this "widow" all his info and she cleans him out of all his money, savings, checking, you name it, who ever this person was even got credit cards in his name and everything.
There was nothing the law could do, they couldnât trace this person, and they couldnât get his money back, in the end he lost almost 30,000$.
It was so sad, and he really believed he was helping someone and he was going to make some money!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:04am
post #38 of 56

WOW how sad...

I think I was the first one who they got in touch with here...and I must admit, they had me going for a couple of days, i even bought special boxes to ship the cakes in.....they posed as a local handicapped girl who had my cake at a party, and was needing one to be shipped to where she was marrying in canada....

i thought she was deaf and handicapped, i'm such a dufus i offered to make phone calls for her to help with any other arrangements she needed to make.

well it started getting complicated, and i started to feel like in my gut something was wrong.....it was all over when i told "her" i'd need a western union money transfer.

i felt dumb, but i think we all want to help people in need...that's what thru me off too....then i noticed the cadence of speech was more of a foreign person than a handicapped one..(i thought she had trouble typing) duh.

well i was only out about 100 bucks on boxes, and i've used half of them since then.

pairsk8ermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pairsk8ermom Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 3:51pm
post #39 of 56

Cake Central is awesome! I received the same scam e-mail from "Happy Married Life", immediate felt that something was not quite right about this "groom". Thanks to Cake Central and all those who posted, I have avoided this bad dude and company. Thanks to all those who shared this!! You have saved me time, money, and emotional aggravation.

Thank you!!!!
Teri
Cakes Unlimited
www.cvillecakes.com
thumbs_up.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 6:31pm
post #40 of 56

pairsk8ermom...your strawberry cake looks YUMMY!...and those white chocolate curls look cool too....do you use almond bark, or real chocolate?

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 6:58pm
post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

Ok this is sad but my mom worked with a man who fell hook line and sinker for one of these scams.

One day he came in to the office (to quit his job) telling everyone how he was going to be a millionaire very shortly.
Turns out he received an email from a widow some where in Africa, she had 50 million dollars of her husbands money that she needed to get out of the country due to some bogus reason. So if he could give her all his personal info, SS#, bank account #, cell phone, home address, mothers maiden name, all that important stuff you arenât supposed to share with people then she would simply transfer 50 million into his account and he would then transfer the money into another account for her and he could keep 25 million of it.

So he gives this "widow" all his info and she cleans him out of all his money, savings, checking, you name it, who ever this person was even got credit cards in his name and everything.
There was nothing the law could do, they couldnât trace this person, and they couldnât get his money back, in the end he lost almost 30,000$.
It was so sad, and he really believed he was helping someone and he was going to make some money!

I can see someone getting taken in by the cake scam, although most people should know better. But, holy cow ... for this guy to think that some stranger is going to give him $25 million for 15 minutes work .... I just can't believe that he fell for that. I do feel sorry for him, but what was he thinking!?!?!

indydebi Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 8:13pm
post #42 of 56

Martha, I saw this happen about 10 years ago. I worked for a mfg'r company and the man who was a distributor of our product passed away and his wife was now running the distributorship. She called and was talking to our chairman of the board to tell him she was probably going to retire because somebody in Nigeria was going to set her up with millions. Our chairman tried to caution her about this kind of deal and yet he was trying to be diplomatic (didn't want to just come out and tell a 70 year old lady "Don't be stupid!"). I never heard if she went forward or if she heeded our chairman's advice but she was ready to jump in with both feet.

Sad.

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 11:10pm
post #43 of 56

And yet, she was on the ball enough to run a distributorship! It just blows my mind. It's very, very sad because tends to be older people that are preyed upon and they often end up losing life savings. The maddening part is that they can never arrest these guys in Nigera!

indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:19pm
post #44 of 56

Hey! Congratulate me! I just got an email telling me I've won a million Great Britain pounds! In cash, of course! My ticket number won!

Didnt' know I even HAD a ticket number!

Guess I can retire now! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:33pm
post #45 of 56

You know what they say...
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

adamt01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamt01 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:33pm
post #46 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

How are they finding all of you who they are contacting? Do you all have websites?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I can't help but mention that when someone comes on here with something that has to be sent by e-mail....then 200+ people post their e-mail addresses on this forum...

This is bait for these types of people. While the original person who starts the e-mail "list" is usually innocent, anybody can come on here and get these addresses.

This is usually the exact reason why everybody is getting everyone's e-mail addresses. Remember, even the bad guys can easily navigate the internet. icon_smile.gif

Edited for typos icon_smile.gif

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:46pm
post #47 of 56

BOTH OF THOSE HAPPENED TO ME TOO!!!!!!! icon_surprised.gif
THE "HAPPY MARRIED LIFE" JUST DID IT FOR ME THOUGH! AND THE MILLIONS I WAS GETTING WERE FROM SOMEONE IN EGYPT icon_rolleyes.gif
IT MAKES ME SO MAD THAT PEOPLE THINK LIKE THAT AND GET AWAY WITH IT TOO. icon_mad.gificon_evil.gif
LIKE USCHI1 SAID, IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT SURE IS......... icon_lol.gif

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:34pm
post #48 of 56

I got a really sketchy email recently too that wasn't exactly like this but similar in the way it also had poor grammar and had the same tone.

I noticed the email address was from the UK so I deleted it. It sounds pretty sketchy.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:46pm
post #49 of 56

OI!!!! I GOT ANOTHER ONE SAYING THAT SOMEONE WANTED TO INVEST A MILLION DOLLARS IN THE US THROUGH ME..................................... NOT THAT DUMB I AM icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
OH YEAH! AND I'M SCREAMING........... icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:20pm
post #50 of 56

Here is the newest one I've received.

Quote:
Quote:

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:53:58 +0100
Subject: wedding plan

Hello,
Greetings to you. My name is Harris Comb [MD] of fish and wild life
research institute. I am looking for a professional wedding
coordinator who can plan and handle a civil wedding
ceremony/arrangements for me in your country. I need to know what
you can offer? I have a budget of about 20,000pounds. This amount
includes funds for every arrangement that we might approve for you to
provide for us.These items includes;
Venue,video,photography,make-up/hair artist,food and drinks,fireworks
if affordable.etc.The wedding will taking within the 3rd week of
June,2008.and we are expecting a total of 60 guests which includes 7
VIP's and the bridesmaid.
Kindly get back to me if you are interested by a return mail via this
email or call for more details.
[MD]
Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
Greenburn Road ,
Aberdeen AB21 9SB
Scotland , UK .
Phone;+447031945704

Not specific to cake, and no HAPPY MARRIAGE LIFE, but still wedding related. As I've posted before, my business e-mail has NEVER been posted on CC nor Craigslist. They found me via reciprocal links I've done with other cake sites and wedding vendors. I linked with anything wedding related I could find in order to get more traffic and a good Google ranking. It worked. My Google ranking is great for my area, but the down side is the hundreds of garbage e-mails I have to sort through that gets past my spam filters.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:32pm
post #51 of 56

Why in the world would the email include that they are with fish and wildlife research institute?!?! How is that and wedding plans related?LOL

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:45pm
post #52 of 56

I deal with a lot of clients that I never talk with on the phone. We do everything through email. I require the check be in 2 weeks prior to the event, if a check bounces, the order is cancelled.

A couple months ago I got one very similar and they tried to make it seem like it was such a big budget, but really $1,000 doesnt come close to covering a 250 serving fondant covered cake with gumpaste flowers on it.

Mine said something like that his boss already wrote the check and then went travelling so I could cash the $1,000 and then refund the remaining amount.

pattyasken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattyasken Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:54pm
post #53 of 56

Received the exact same email...watch out, they are trying it everywhere. Saw a posting on the Wilton forum page also!

donnajoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajoy Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:45pm
post #54 of 56

How sad my company reiceved email. We reseached them. Asked them for more information. All a scam. Sad they do this.

dipali13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dipali13 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:27pm
post #55 of 56

I wish I would have seen the other posts and not replied. I had a gut feeling it was a hoax too. I don't know why people get a kick out of doing this...it's just not polite. So, if anyone gets this similar email...simply DELETE!

Sincerely,
Dipali

Read Email Below:

Hello,

My name is Alex Bryant, I would like to know if you bake wedding cake, I need a cake that can serve approximately 270 guests or more, I would like you to bake me a cake and decorated it with roses, i want the cake be in Fondant or Butter cream. Below is the cake information:

Cake Flavor: White Chocolate Butter and Vanilla.

Cake Filling: Raspberry and Chocolate Mint or Strawberry

I want an inscription be writing on one of the cake as (Alex wed Tina) and I want you to pack the cake in different boxes when it's ready for pick up. And I want you to have the cake to be ready for pick-up on 26th of March 2010, 11:00 o'clock A.M. Kindly let me know if you can fulfill the date, once i have your reply i will forward all the details and the picture sample of the cake.

I await your reply soon.

Best Regards.
Alex Bryant.

donnajoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajoy Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:14pm
post #56 of 56

Yes it the same. Don't reply.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%