Flower Makers....help!

Decorating By smab109 Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 3:12pm by scgriffiths

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 2

Anyone have any idea the correct way to make a Thistle? It is the national flower of Scotland... I am doing a "Brigadoon" themed cake.... no idea where to even begin.....

Here is a picture of a thistle....
http://www.solarnet.org/Travel/SCO/GAThistle.jpg

I am thinking of a 3tier cake....bottom layer being the "rolling hills" with flowers... middle layer will have little cottages painted on the sides and the top tier...well, I'm not there yet..... it is a last minute order, due this upcoming Thursday and to say I am spazzing is an understatement..... I have to start working fast, especially if those flowers are to be done.....can anyone help? Please??

1 reply
scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 2

I've made thistle before, but can't remember where I got the instructions from. The purple bits were made from cotton. Just wrap it round a couple of fingers several times, then take off your fingers, put a piece of wire through the middle and twist to hold it all together. Wrap cotton around the bottom of it several times to hold it all together, then snip at the top and even up with your scissors. The bottom bit is a bit of icing, rounded, and make the spiky bits by cutting all around with a small sharp pair of scissors. Make a hole in the top and poke the wire through. Hope this makes sense!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%