Whoever Has Fmm-Tappits, How Do You Like Them??

Decorating By chikie Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 12:56am by crazy4sugar

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 7:07am
post #1 of 16

I'm going to purchase some FMM-Tappits Cutters, How do you like them?

Thanks,
Tiffany

15 replies
crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:31am
post #2 of 16

I absolutely love them, especially the script letters!

Here's the trick: mix a 50/50 of fondant gumpaste and roll it thin, preferably in a pasta machine. Let it dry for about 3 minutes and brush on luster dust if you wish.

Then place the cutter on the paste (which is on a hard, smooth surface like the kitchen counter or plastic board) and push down firmly in a circular motion.

The design should come out if you "tap it" (get it? Tappit? lol) on the counter. I usually take the point of a toothpick and flip it out of the mold.

Try not to touch them for another 5 minutes so that you don't distort the shapes. When they're firm you can pick them up and place them on the cake. !Viola...perfect lettering!
LL

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:13am
post #3 of 16

I also make extras and keep them in a plastic screw keeper.

It's a big plastic box with a lot of little draws.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:34am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4sugar

I absolutely love them, especially the script letters!

Here's the trick: mix a 50/50 of fondant gumpaste and roll it thin, preferably in a pasta machine. Let it dry for about 3 minutes and brush on if you wish.

Then place the cutter on the paste (which is on a hard, smooth surface like the kitchen counter or plastic board) and push down firmly in a circular motion.

The design should come out if you "tap it" (get it? Tappit? lol) on the counter. I usually take the point of a toothpick and flip it out of the mold.

Try not to touch them for another 5 minutes so that you don't distort the shapes. When they're firm you can pick them up and place them on the cake. !Viola...perfect lettering!

Ditto except I use a needle or pin to coax them out.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:21am
post #5 of 16

I looked into one of the molds, not sure if it was from FMM, could you please tell me where you are ordering yours? The problem I saw is that they are SO expensive from England, I think. Thanks!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:06am
post #6 of 16

Love them...I have the Funky letters and another couple of scripts! I use them all the time.

crazy4sugar Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:00am
post #7 of 16

I got mine from global sugar art.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 16

thanks, crazy4sugar, I'll check into them!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 16

i like them too! It does take a little practice to get them out, but you were given good advice about rolling it out and letting it sit for awhile. Sometimes I need to do more than just "tap" them out. Sometimes I am really smacking the thing, but they usually do come out!

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 16

Love 'em! Merissa is right...sometimes it takes a pretty hard "tap" on the counter to dislodge them. I have both letters and some of the theme tappits (e.g. Xmas). The letters seem to come out more easily.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 16

I am pretty new at this, so this probably sounds dumb. I just got the script letters from Global and I am not sure how to proceed even with the instructions you all gave. Are you cutting the letters apart before you press them into the fondant? Do you end up with a border of fondant around each letter that you have to trim off? I appreciate any help you can give me.
Lily

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:08pm
post #12 of 16

I have several of the tappits they are great I really enjoy mine. I got them at Global sugar art and I have also bought some from Nicholas Lodge site.

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:17pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikie

I'm going to purchase some FMM-Tappits Cutters, How do you like them?

Thanks,
Tiffany

I say go for it,I love mine!!!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:27pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybird

I am pretty new at this, so this probably sounds dumb. I just got the script letters from Global and I am not sure how to proceed even with the instructions you all gave. Are you cutting the letters apart before you press them into the fondant? Do you end up with a border of fondant around each letter that you have to trim off? I appreciate any help you can give me.
Lily

If I am understanding your question...No you dont cut the letters apart. They stay on the strip. Some of mine came with a strip cutter. You cut a strip of fondant and then lay the letter you want across the strip. You shouldnt have any fondant that you have to trim. Sometimes they dont come out perfectly clean, but if done well they should be nice and clean

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:37pm
post #15 of 16

I love my tappits..I made this cake with the script letters!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1199713

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

crazy4sugar Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:56am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybird

Lily

Just give 'em a try and you'll see what we mean.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%