I Have Alot Of......

Decorating By hwnhulahands Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 10:00am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 16

loose recipes for cakes and frostings and alot of wilton magazines and lots of printed up tips, ideas, and tutorials. Is there any way or ideas on how to get these organized and easy to find?

15 replies
poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 16

I have mine in a 3 ring binder stuck in a plastic slip sheet (keeps them from getting messed up) when baking.

I also bought some of those tab dividers to keep everything seperated.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 16

I have mine in a 3 ring binder stuck inside a plastic sheet protector (keeps them from getting messed up) when baking. You could also cover them with clear contact paper to protect them.

I also bought some of those tab dividers to keep everything organized in its correct category (frostings, cakes, pies, tutitorials) etc..

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 16

I got a 3 ring binder with page protectors and dividers. I've separated it into recipes, gum paste and fondant, pictures of cakes that inspire me, instructions, and several other categories. As I try recipes, I'm making notes of when I made it and how well it was liked, etc. I'll probably do some more revising on my format but it's working pretty well for me right now since I don't have a huge amount of stuff.

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 16

Me too! That's how I do it. 3-ring binder and sheet protectors.

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 16

same here......just did mine yesterday!!!!!!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 16

Since I prefer to write out recipes on index cards (using my short hand and minimal directions) I bought 4x6 lined index cards and a hard cover photo album (easily cleaned). Its very compact for me and I have a couple, one for cakes etc. and then my other food recipes. One day I plan to sit down and make some charts with double, triple etc recipes and what sizes of cake needs how much batter. Like wiltons but for each of my recipes individually.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 16

Same here ! And Im getting soooo many binders, I find myself printing out more ,because Im afraid I might be working on something and CC will go down and then Im stuck . I have the kind of binders that you can add a picture on the outside cover, and on the side .I add a ipcture of whats in that binder ,so I just have to look on the top, or read the side ! Work well for me !

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 16

Do you have OneNote (MS Office 2007)? I've started saving mine directly from websites and not printing them until I need them. I've got tons of sections for recipe files, pictures, receipts etc. You can do a search for words like names or ingredients. it's very easy. When you select print from your browser or any other program you can print a page in OneNote by clicking a button.

I also have a binder with things I don't want to lose but it's very small now.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 16

Lorrieeg, Is the one note a separate program? I've scan mine from magazines etc and some from the web. But that still takes a lot of time. Thanks

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 8:06pm
post #11 of 16

Lorrieeg, Is the one note a separate program? I've scan mine from magazines etc and some from the web. But that still takes a lot of time. Thanks

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:05pm
post #12 of 16

I just printed "my recipe box" , all the recipes that I have saved yesterday.. I can't stand when the site is down, and I can't access anything. I also paste & copy articles from the forum to word and save it under cakes!!
I too have a binder with plastic sheets, that I can slip the recipes into.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:09pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshcakedesigns

I have mine in a 3 ring binder stuck in a plastic slip sheet (keeps them from getting messed up) when baking.

I also bought some of those tab dividers to keep everything seperated.

Exactly what I have done. I also have my directions for my character cakes in these plastic sleeves. I just put all of them in alphabetical order.

Diane

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:15am
post #14 of 16

I am pathetic when it comes to paper and keeping paper items neat and organized⦠I stopped printing anything as it ends up in a pile of mess (or worse, not even there!) in which nothing could ever be foundâ¦

So, in the last couple of years Iâve gone a little high-tech⦠I SCAN things I find interesting and keep in a single folder on my computer, or print webpages to PDF; most of my recipes are Word files. Everything is backed up to an external hard drive. A handful of recipes that I use all the time are on paper, housed in a kitchen drawer, everything else I take off the screen. I used to keep years and years of all kinds of magazines, but not anymore â most of them have their online equivalent, so the recipe or technique is there anyway at a click of a button. Makes me feel very âgreenâ too for not wasting all that paper â which in my case is in fact wasted; a nicely organized binder is a different storyâ¦I do still have a fairly large collection of cook books and cake decorating books, those are not going anywhere icon_smile.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:24am
post #15 of 16

fearlessbaker, onenote comes with microsoft office 2007. you can scan stuff and put it in it. It's really quite amazing. If you create new documents you can cut and paste from the net or documents and make your own pages that you can edit. I'm not sure if you can get it separately.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:00am
post #16 of 16

I'm FORCING myself to buy a clearbook and put all my recipes there. but i'm so lazy LOL in the meantime my recipes have chocolate on them haha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%