Does Anyone Know If It's Okay To Use Egg Beaters Egg Whites?

Business By terrig007 Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 12:31am by itsacake

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 9

Hi All,
I was making my grocery list and was wondering if it's okay to use Egg Beaters Egg Whites (or some other brand) for SMBC/IMBC? I was just wondering because we don't eat eggs (unless it's in something like a cake icon_biggrin.gif ) in our house. I find that I am constantly wasting the yolks and was just wondering if buying the stuff at the grocery store in the egg white section would work.
thanks,
terri

8 replies
jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 9

I always use the egg whites that come in the cartons. As long as it says 100% egg whites it has worked when I make SMBC. I don't know if the same applies to IMBC.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 9

There were some posts about this before the "crash" and people were pretty split on the decision ...but anyway, I tried a carton of egg whites and it just didn't work for me to make IMBC. So I stick to the real thing.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 9

Your best bet would be to try it once and see. I use the Just Whites for my SMBC and it comes out fine.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

OT - awolf, I fear if Jack was my doctor, I'd have some crazy high medical bills. icon_lol.gif Oh, I sneezed, I need to see my doctor! icon_twisted.gif

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 9

I read an orticle conparing egg ehite powder and egg white liquid. They concluded that for meringues (on pies and merignue cookies) the liquid whites did not work. but the powdered ones were a pain.

Also on the liguid whites faq page is says not to use for whipping. So last week when I was making those smores cupcakes from martha, I did not use the liquid whites.

Let us know if you try them

HTH Julia

Dee4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee4 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 9

I have tried several times to use the egg whites in the carton for my IMBC and it does not whip to meringue stage. What I do though is to use 1/4 egg whites in carton to 3/4 fresh whites. works and saves a bit on yolks.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:13am
post #7 of 9

Holy moley...could I have made more errors on that previois post...can you even read it? Sorry About that!

Also, that is a very interesting idea for the part egg/part liquid egg...

Does anyone know if the egg whites are the Just whites in the baking section? For some reason i always thought that was like meringue powder, but now I am thinking I was wrong...

JUlia

coldtropics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coldtropics Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:09am
post #8 of 9

yes you can. whips up just fine... has a bit of a weird chemical odor so i would only use when making a flavored imbc/smbc.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:31am
post #9 of 9

Many egg whites in cartons in the grocery store have been treated with heat and won't whip to meringue stage. Some pasteurized in the shell eggs don't whip up well either. It usually says this on the package. On the other hand, for making icings that are not heated sufficiently to kill salmonella, you do probably want to use pasteurized egg whites. There are some brands that will whip. If you have a Whole Foods nearby, they often carry jars of Eggology in their case with the eggs. These say on the label that they are pasteurized and that they will whip. For economy's sake, I usually do use pasteurized dried whites and don't have any trouble reconstituting and whipping them. You have to stir for awhile, and if you let them sit for awhile before you stir so the powder can absorb the liquid it works even better, but I wouldn't call it a hassle. It may just depend on what you are used to and what is available where you are.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%