Sweetex Shef Life

Decorating By mkolmar Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 12:28am by christeena

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:13am
post #1 of 9

How long does Sweetex stay good for once open?

8 replies
busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:35am
post #2 of 9

I will be watching for the answer.......I hope it has a decent shelf life since it is similar to crisco.

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:35am
post #3 of 9

I was talking to a Sweetex Rep last week and talking about buying in bulk. She mentioned that it only has a one year shelf life.

mkolmar Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks. I can handle a one year shelf life. I have a #50 bucket I've been using and I think I'll freeze half of it in containers and leave the other half at room temp just in case. I don't think I can use that much up that fast. Chocolate on the other hand I fly threw with orders.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 9

Good to know - I've had some for a few months and was wondering the same thing.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 9

I looked at sams club and they don't sell any shortening like crisco. I heard that sweetex was better but don't know where to get it. where do you all get it at?

mkolmar Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #7 of 9

I bought my sweetex from Gordon Foods that's based in Ohio (but I live near it). I know some people get sweetex from their suppliers, cash and carries and other places like that. Try calling around your local area first before looking online because shipping charges can get high.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:50am
post #8 of 9

You can go to the warehouse (like a Gordons foods or another wholesale retailer), if you buy through a business...

A local restaurant orders for me and I just go to the shipping dock and pay and pick up icon_smile.gif OR I have ordered it from www.intotheoven.com icon_smile.gif

Shipping is bad on stuff like that but what are ya going to do if you need it? UGGHH

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:28am
post #9 of 9

I just ordered a 50# box of Sweetex from GFS and it had gone up over $20 since I got my first box 2 years ago!! I don't make but 2-4 cakes a month (some months, none) so what I do is put it in 2 gallon ice cream buckets and pop it in the freezer. I have 2 large freezers so that works for me. I thaw in the fridge for a couple of days and then bring to room temperature, take what I need and back in the fridge it goes. Works great for me!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%