Unsupportive Hubby

Business By GeminiRJ Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 1:11pm by lanibird

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 35

So I'm almost ready to launch my 3D cookie kit business, all without any help or support from my husband. (He disapproves of my getting the cutters from overseas, and hates that if I actually make money at this, it will mean it's a taxable event). My next step, I think, is to get a web site. I'm hopeless at anything computer (if it's not related to my job) so I know I will need help with this. Where would you start? Also, while he is not supportive, my MIL is ready to give me money if I need it. Do I take her up on her offer, knowing my husband will frown on that as well? If the cutters are as nice as I think they will be, I will need to order more. ($$$) I have tons of questions I need answers to, but these are the most pressing!

34 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 35

Ummh, why is he not supportive? Does he think it will fail or is he afraid of you making a big business out of it and consequently have less time for him?
Great that your MIL believes in you though, stick with her, she might still be able to help with your husband. A website would be great , you could start off with a small do it yourself website and later get someone to design a better one for you. I have no computerskille whatsoever, but if i can make one, you can too. But before you do that, see to it that you set up a paypal account, so that I can get cutters as well

GeminiRJ Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 35

He isn't worried about the time thing. If anything, I'm on my own too much, as he is very involved with our kids in scouts. He just doesn't believe in taking risks, and he firmly believes I took a huge one in going overseas for the cutters. He thinks I'm out the money and will never see the cutters. It's very difficult to be so excited about something, and have the most important person in your life not want to have anything to do with it or hear about it!

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 35

there's just as much of a risk staying state side as it is going overseas. you should let him see how many people on cc are already putting their order in. and having to deal with taxes could be a good thing. that means you're making money. That really stinks that he's not more supportive. i'm behind you, but i don't sit across the dinner table from you. sorry..(((hugs)))

GeminiRJ Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 35

Everyone's support here is what keeps it all worth while! I have a hard time taking the initiative, which is what I'm having to do now. I guess it'll just make me stronger, but it sure isn't good for the stress level.

Another question: How many kits do you think I should have stock-piled before starting up a web site?

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 35

I don't know much about starting a business but I would talk to an account, a lawyer and do research about starting a business. Also google SBA, Women and SBA and other sites for women starting their business. I would ask you DH what his concerns are. If they are valid I would listen to them and modify my plans. I would not give up. You have to believe in yourself even when the one who is supposed to support you doesn't. If his reasons are not valid, ask yourseslf why is he being negative. YOU MUST BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. (SAY THAT 3 TIMES AND MEAN IT) I am not just saying this because I want your cutters. I have been reading alot about women who have started their own business. You have to believe. I just picked up this book at the Library. "Birthing the Elephant" (The woman's go-for-it! guide to overcoming the big challanges of launching a business)I by Karin Abarbanel and Bruce Freeman. It has great information and great resources in the back of the book. Go to the Library and check it out. Remember to copy down the list of resources there are over 30 in there.

I know it is long. I just don't like it when someone tells me that so and so said it will be hard, not easy or impossible. The only way you will know if it is really true is to find out for yourself. Just because it is hard for some one else does not mean it will be the same for you. All the best in your new journey and {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Ursula40 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 35

Stockpile? I think it depends on whether the next order you make will take just as much time as the first. If your manufacturer thinks that he will need less time then you wont need that much and just first see how fast you can sell your first batch, How many did you have to order? How long does it take to sell that many and what is the lead time to the next delivery? Approach stores who sell baking stuff, schools, I don't know, what you can do in the states to promote your business but I am sure you can find out. i sell Glass Platters on the side a friend of mine in Beijing makes. I only sell them from home, but can't do much more, cause it takes ages for delivery, I never can order as much as I like. It's ok though, I have a big sale twice a year and people come and get whatever they can and need other times of the year, if and when I have some. I am the sole supplier in Shanghai, which is great.

GeminiRJ Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 35

If the cutters are ready to ship when I was told they would be, it will be almost exactly 3 months from when I placed the order. I ordered the minimum 500 cutters per design. At last count, I am up to just over 60 CC members expressing an interest in a kit when they become available. Some want more than one kit. I'm also sending some to Boston for my sister to peddle to her friends! I have no clue how the kits will sell to the general public. Maybe they won't generate a lot of interest. Maybe I'll sell out in a short time, and then have to shut down the website for 3 months waiting for the next order. Maybe I re-order once the original order is paid off. I just don't know.

P.S.-Ursula, I am trying to think of a way to get the kit to you! Maybe I'll have my nephew use his paypal account to make it happen...is that possible?

peardream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peardream Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 35

when you are ready to sell, why don't you try to set up an ebay store? i don't think it costs much. that way you can sell and use paypal...

GeminiRJ Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:03pm
post #10 of 35

I will check into that! Thank you peardream.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 35

I would wait until you have sold about 80% of your current stock before thinking about placing and order.

Look at how long it took to sell that first 80% and that will give you a better time schedule to work with.

How are these being shipped to you? you will need to have an idea of how long it will take you to receive them.
have you determined if you will have to pay import taxes on them??
(Im working on my import/export license so its something I always think about)

you said you had to order a minimum of 500 units per design- how many designs did you order??

I agree with the ebay store
you will also want to look at going to local mom and pop craft stores, bakeries etc and present them your product.
Also look at local craft fairs as a possible place to sell your cutters.

GeminiRJ Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 7:26pm
post #12 of 35

I was told that this particular item does not need an import/export tax. I ordered 5 designs to make a complete kit, even though I figure many people will already have a round cutter needed for the base. This will just make it easier for those who don't do a lot of cookie baking. I will find out soon how long it takes to ship...hoping it isn't too long!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:57pm
post #13 of 35

there was a thread on here a couple years ago where a single cutter on ebay sold for over 100.00...do any of ya'll remember that?

i think you are really smart to find a supplier overseas....that's the only way you can have enough mark up.

there was a show on HGTV, where a couple saved a fortune buying their home improvement stuff from hong kong and shipping it here.

if you don't mind me asking , how did you go about finding a source overseas?.....i'm looking to find a source for fancy cookie boxes.

btw...i think your idea is great!....there are sites where you can use their template to make a website....some of the smarter internet savvy people can tell you where the sites are.

Ursula40 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:23am
post #14 of 35

Tell the truth I don't care as long as you get the money and I get the sets, just let me know how where and when

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:40am
post #15 of 35

Do you have any friends who are good at websites, etc that will help you create one? Starting any kind of new business is hard and costs money up front...but if there is a market for it, and it sounds like there is... go go go go go go go!

bitofsnshn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bitofsnshn Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:58am
post #16 of 35

Wow love you 3d cookies what a fantastic idea. very creative and haven't seen anything like it before.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:04am
post #17 of 35

If you need any help packaging the kits let me know. I'm local and would love to help you out. I agree with ebay and would also check out the craft show at the Qwest Center. They have so much traffic there it's insane. There's one this weekend if you want to check it out and there should be another one this fall before Christmas. I think you could sell several hundred there.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:08am
post #18 of 35

I think i would also considering advertising in american cake decorating. Another thing would be to get booths at some of the cake conventions. Those are great places to sell them...

tilly41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tilly41 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:14am
post #19 of 35

www.networksolutions.com has different packages for websites that you can choose from, depending on what you want. You can sign up for a free test period (I think it's 30 days) to play around and actually build a site before deciding if you want to purchase. Definitely worth a look!

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:29am
post #20 of 35

Count me in as #61 to purchase a kit when they are ready. 1) because I love to make cookies and 2) I'll support anyone who is trying to do something on their own and 3) I'll support any woman who can finally tell their DH "I told you so"....all said in love and funicon_smile.gif

Paula

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:31am
post #21 of 35

PS...I mistyped...I need 2 sets...my BFF now wants a set for her birthday and she'll wait as long as it takes!

GeminiRJ Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:43am
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I agree with ebay and would also check out the craft show at the Qwest Center. They have so much traffic there it's insane. There's one this weekend if you want to check it out and there should be another one this fall before Christmas. I think you could sell several hundred there.

Yes, I've been to those craft shows (when they were at the Civic). The crush of people is truly amazing! I think the booth rental is astronaumical, as well. Plus, they only let in a certain number of sellers and they have to be approved by a panel. I'm wondering if a magazine like Mailbox News would publish a "how-to" article on the cookies...I've done a few cake articles for them in the past. I'm definitely going to have to check into an ebay store.

GeminiRJ Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:48am
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

if you don't mind me asking , how did you go about finding a source overseas?.....i'm looking to find a source for fancy cookie boxes.

I did a lot of internet surfing during my lunch hour! If you want to see what they have to offer, I'm getting the cutters from "Khan Arts" (I think that's the name! Blond moment!) Mr. Khalid Khan was very helpful, and they have a variety of products that they offer, many of them custom. One of the only places in the U.S. I found to do the cutters would've required an order of 20,000 per design! No way could I afford to buy 100,000 cutters!

Everyone has been wonderful with their ideas and suggestions. I truly appreciate all the input!

Susan

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:59am
post #24 of 35

There are lots of website-building tools on the internet, many of them free. They have 'pre-packaged' items, where you're guided through the entire process and just choose from options for each section. Super easy, just follow the steps. Also, an eBay store is an excellent idea (as others have suggested) and they're easy to set up as well. A PayPal account is a must and PayPal is owned by eBay so they go hand in hand. PayPal will allow you to accept credit cards and also gives you lots of other tools as a seller. If you're not familiar with eBay or PayPal there are tutorials that will teach you how to use everything.

Your cookie cutter business sounds awesome! I would definitely be interested in a set of them for myself.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:07pm
post #25 of 35

First, please get a patent for the idea. I would hate to see some jerk take the idea and license it to Betty Crocker, like those cake decorating kits they have.

Next, consider selling one theme, perhaps Christmas, on eBay, with a link on your eBay page to your online store. They have plenty of assistants who will help you design your eBay page and link everything up to your account.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cupsncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupsncakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:10pm
post #26 of 35

I think your idea is fantastic, stick with it! I started my business at a local market and it has taken off quite nicely just since November. Now even my husband says that I need a shop of my own, even though he questioned my choice to give up teaching in the beginning. If you believe it will work, it will. He'll soon see.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:13pm
post #27 of 35

you have a great idea.......yes there are 3-D cutters out there but I've never seen ones like yours. You need to send in some photos to the Martha Stewart Show (i think she'd love something like that), definitely set up an ebay account, a website, get your name out there!! As for how many to stock, all the suggestions so far are great.....but also..why don't you set up to have people preorder for like 2 dollars less per set and see how many orders you get.....that will give you an initial idea of the interest?

kneadacookie Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:35pm
post #28 of 35

ooooh love the preorder idea. and if martha doesn't bite, what about rachel ray. i think this thing could get as huge as you want it. we are all behind you!!!
and when you're picking out your new BMW, you can let your husband hold your purse....lol

GeminiRJ Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:36pm
post #29 of 35

[quote="KHalstead"]You need to send in some photos to the Martha Stewart Show (i think she'd love something like that)quote]

This got my attention! Any idea how to go about doing this?

P.S.-I'm up to 68 interested people!

kneadacookie Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:37pm
post #30 of 35

now that you've taken count, you should start taking $$$$.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%