Help! Blades Of Grass Made Out Of Fondant

Decorating By millertyme Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 5:27am by shisharka

millertyme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millertyme Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:54am
post #1 of 11

I need to cover a groom's cake with blades of grass in different shades of green and in different lengths.... besides hand cutting each blade anyone have any other ideas that may go faster since I am doing a 14inch and a 10 inch.... thanks for any help

10 replies
ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 11

Not having any ideas for a "good tool" for this, I would probably roll out very thin fondant and use a pizza cutter and a ruler to cut long, very thin strips. Then I would just randomly cut the long strips into shorter blades. Do this for your different shades of green and stick them to the cake.

Good luck...waiting to hear how you end up making the grass.

somerset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
somerset Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 11

This may sound crazy but this is what i use sometimes "Sculpey Clay Extruder"

Here's the link:
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog_old.jsp?CATID=82448&PRODID=180659&rId=GOBASECI&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=BEA%20N%20156366

or u might want to buy a playdough clay barber shop kit that the kids play with using clay dough. It has the same type of disk in it. You can use the disk that has the holes in it to do grass.

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

yellot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellot Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 11

If you have a hand crank pasta machine I think the wider noodle stting would work.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 11

I use an herb slicer - it's like a pizza cutter with several small blades.

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 11

The clay extruder doesn't sound crazy at all. I have one that I use for other details but hadn't thought of it for grass...I guess my mind was thinking paper thin flat blades of grass, which it doesn't necessarily have to be.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 11

I find that the kids play-doh toys work really well for making various things that are a pain to cut by hand. Also consider scissors. I use scissors for a lot of projects, you just keep trimming until you get the shape that you want.

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:36pm
post #8 of 11

I have the crank pasta maker, used the spagetti one to make the grass.

millertyme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millertyme Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:57am
post #9 of 11

thanks for all the advice.........i will try all the ideas and will let everyone know how it came out.........thanks again

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:10am
post #10 of 11

i use the garlic press. i mix several shades of green . grease the press. put the fondant or fondant/gumpaste mix in. extrude the paste. then i pull the dough off. and use the thinner ends . just cut to where you want it. it comes off in different lengths. it looks like real grass. when you cut it .... it makes it fall pretty. also the cutting cortirizes it. hope i am making sense. then glue where you want it . i have placed it all around the edge of my cakes for the botton border.. had lots of compliments on it that way.

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:27am
post #11 of 11

I used my sonâs play-doh extruder (thoroughly washed, lol) for some grass effects, unfortunately donât have a picture of the cake posted⦠The grass was not super fine, but very passable.

An easy way to do varying grass texture is to roughly marble 3-4 shades of green and do whichever of the suggested above approaches. Marbling would create some more natural look of the grass and save you a lot of work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%