Piroutte Wafer Cookies

Decorating By ljdills Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 11:57pm by cariage

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:34am
post #1 of 9

I have seen several cakes using piroutte wafer cookies and I have always wanted to do one. Normally the cookies are very expensive, however they were on sale recently at CVS and I bought a couple tins. My question is what flavor cake and icing work well taste wise with these cookies?

Leslie

8 replies
JEM530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JEM530 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:18am
post #2 of 9

I made one recently that was devil's food cake, with chocolate cream cheese frosting, raspberry filling and fresh raspberries on top. It was a huge hit!!!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:55am
post #3 of 9

I made a tiramisu cake with hazelnut pirouettes around the sides of the cake, then a ribbon tied around.

I cemented them on with the leftover marscapone mousse that I had filled the cake with, and I found they did get a bit soft. Next time I try it, I'll use buttercream.

JEM530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JEM530 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 9

My cookies did get soft after being on the cake for awhile. icon_sad.gif I don't really know if that can be avoided. If you find a way definitely let me know!!!!

Also, the cake I did is in my pictures. icon_smile.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 9

I've done two - one was with lemon raspberry regular (American) buttercream and another was using IMBC. People who ate them said they really liked them.

I made them both the night before and the cookies got just slightly soft (not mushy, but just enough to not be super crunchy) on the side that was touching the icing but it was not very noticeable.

I think chocolate icing would work great also.

I have noticed that drugstores carry them at much lower prices (like CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreen's) than the Pepperidge Farm brand ones at the regular grocery store and I think they taste just as good. I've read other threads saying that some people can even find them at dollar stores from time to time.

shadow79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadow79 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 9

When I did mine, I did something simple like a butter recipe and white chocolate icing (my grandmother's request). I can't recall if the cookies got soft or not because I was so nervous if everyone would like the cake or not...hahhaha.
I spent too much $$$ on the pepperidge farm ones and won't do that again! I have seen them much cheaper at places like SAM's warehouse.

My cake is in my pics. I did a double layer and filled the space with fresh roses.

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone !
BTW I looked at all of your pictures. You guys have made some spectacular cakes !
I look forward to trying out some of these ideas.

Leslie

Niserise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niserise Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 9

I used hazelnut pirouettes on a dark chocolate cake (in the recipes section), with peanut butter cream cheese filling, and a chocolate ganache frosting (both recipes on CC). I put the cookies around the cake while the ganache was still wet, then tied a ribbon around the whole cake. Beautiful cake that tasted amazing. It is my most asked for cake for parties.

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 9

just a tip...I saw these at the dollar tree yesterday and they were.......$1.00/box. I am sure not every dollar tree has them, but its worth a shot! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%