Gelatin Help??

Decorating By Oobla Updated 7 Apr 2008 , 1:04am by rozben

Oobla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oobla Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 4

I want to make my dad an air plane [crop duster, to be exact] birthday cake. I want to make the plane as realistic as possible. I've seen people on TV use a gelatin type substance as glass, and I was hoping to use that to make the cockpit. The only problem is, I can't find a recipe for the substance anywhere! Does anyone here know how to make it?

Any other suggestions on how to make an airplane cake are very welcome, too! I've never made one before =)

3 replies
peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 4

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?s=bd24e55c2156222bd71fd3360e16167b&showtopic=69493&st=0

The link above will take you to a nice tutorial on making an airplane using pastillage.

Oobla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oobla Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:19am
post #3 of 4

Thank you! That's extremely helpful.

rozben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozben Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:04am
post #4 of 4

Here you go Oobla,
Combine one packet of plain gelatine with ¼ cup water let stand for 15 minutes. Heat till melted, do not stir as it will create bubbles.
(Do not let the mix boil)
Gently melt until completely dissolved. I found using an acetate sheet works great for spreading the mixture onto it to cool and set completely
(about 24-48 hours). depending on how thick it is spread

When it's ready, it'll slowly start to peel itself away from the acetate ~ you can peel it off slowly, once you're sure it's completely set. Can be cut to shape with scissors, Perfect for windows and wings,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%