I Froze My Fondant Covered Cake And Lived To Tell About It!!

Decorating By maggiev777 Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 11:39am by maggiev777

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 7

I just wanted to post about this in case anyone ever searches for posts about freezing cakes with fondant on them. I had a baby shower cake to do a few weeks ago, and after I covered the cake with fondant, I got a call that the baby was born early and we had to postpone the shower! I was soooo bummed and sure the fondant would never freeze/thaw well on the cake. But I tried it anyway. It was WASC with raspberry filling, IMBC, and Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant. I had covered it with fondant but had not yet put on the fondant decorations. All I did was wrap it up (rather tightly, but not tight enough to dent the fondant) in about three layers of Saran wrap, and put it in the freezer. It was frozen about a week. The day before the shower I set it out on the counter, unwrapped it, and let it thaw and dry completely. Then I finished decorating.

It turned out beautifully and honestly you could NOT tell that it had even been frozen. I was worried the fondant would get dry or slimy or spotty or who knows what... but honestly it was just like fresh! I don't know if other fondants would do as well, but I just wanted to give a plug for Michele Foster's recipe and let everyone know how wonderfully it had turned out for me. It is the blue baby feet cake in my photos. icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 7

did you taste the cake too?? Did you notice if it changed the flavor/texture of the fondant, icing, or anything?? By the way that cake is gorgeous....I just did a cake myself with those little converse on them (those things were such a pain to make........I don't know why I had so many issues) I wish mine had been so flawless as yours!! Did you have any problems making those??? For some reason my gumpaste kept drying and cracking on me...it was aweful! I made a couple that were perfect and then I couldn't get them off of the dough shoes!!! Drove me nuts!! Then my son (once I had two I was happy with) "accidentally" (according to him) stepped on one of the shoes( not sure how it got on the floor from the high shelf I had them drying on...but okay) so I had to make another the night before the cake was due ugh! I don't ever wanna make another converse...I must have made about 10 in the last week or so!!

maggiev777 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 7

Yes, I tasted it too and it tasted fine. Yippee!!!

And Ugh! I'm sorry you had such trouble with the Converse sneakers. They are kind of a pain. I cheated a little and used 50/50 fondant and gumpaste so they wouldn't dry so fast. Also I used a fondnat mold inside which I left inside (it was about 1.5" shorter than the top of the shoe, so not terribly visible unless you were really looking into the shoe). I did see yours though and thought they looked great!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 7

thanks.........it drives me nuts when something doesn't come out as neatly as I wanted it to. I don't even wanna think about making them again....but I know as soon as I have some extra gumpaste around I'll be trying it! lol....I can't stand not being able to do something ; )

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 7

Really? This just might give me the confidence to make my cakes in advance and freeze them, instead of killing myself at 3:00 in the morning! Thanks for the info!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:34am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for posting this!! I've seen the question asked many times and usually the answer is "It shouldn't be a problem" but not many people have actually DONE it. Refrigerated, yes; freeze, not as often. Yay for you and yay for your report back. I'll totally keep this in mind icon_smile.gif

maggiev777 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:39am
post #7 of 7

So glad to help! Just do keep in mind that I was using Michele Foster's recipe - so I can't vouch for other kinds freezing well. But I'm thrilled that hers does, since I use it all the time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%