Help What Are Best Brands For Cake Shop Business Equipment.

Business By Mommaskip Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 3:47pm by DesignerCakes

Mommaskip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommaskip Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 10

im very new to this and i was doing some research online about cake shops and starting a business. what are the best brands for equipment and what equipment should one have in their cake shop. thanks so much. also if you have any pictures to share of your cake business i would love to see layouts as well. thanks again.

9 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 10

Hobart is the gold standard for mixers.

I have a Southbend oven, and love it, but there are alot of different brands, i been reading a lot of people here have been buying deluxe ovens.

good luck

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 10

I agree with littlecake on the Hobart mixer. I have a Blodgett oven, but am very intrigued by the Deluxe. My refrigerator and freezer are McCall- I'm probably not the world's foremost authority on commercial refrigeration however- but the price was right on these and they work, lol.

I also have a 7 qt. Viking mixer. And that's pretty much all of the major equipment I have (other than my vent hood and sink), as far as the kitchen goes.

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 10

I have a Univex 20 qt mixer (bought it based on the recommendation from a fellow baker) and I just purchased a Deluxe oven which I now have a love affair with! The Univex mixer cost me $2100 and what I love about it is that you can also use it with an optional 10 qt bowl for smaller batches.

The Deluxe oven has heating elements above and below each rack for optimum results. I got the one with the 7 1.2" crowns since I bake in 3" high pans. It heats up in no time flat. I just love it.

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 10

hmm, i'm feeling like my kitchen aide (artisan) is not working so well for me and i want to purchase another mixer. it needs to be a mixer that i can pick up and move out of the way or put on a cart and rolled out of the way since i'm working from my home kitchen. any suggestions? should i skip over the kitchen aide 600 and go for something more commercial???

thanks!

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 10

Not to sound too stupid here but what is a "deluxe" oven? Is that a brand name or type?
I'm working up the costs for equipment to remodel my basement into my shop and this is the first I've heard of that type of oven.

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 10

I agree with the hobart mixer, mine is on a stand with wheels so it can moved. I have a True cooler which is wonderful and as mentioned before, a Deluxe oven is the BEST !!!

DesignerCakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 10

Deluxe is the brand name for this specialty oven. They are based in Florida. It's an oven specifically designed for baking cakes.

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:03pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerCakes

The Deluxe oven has heating elements above and below each rack for optimum results. I got the one with the 7 1.2" crowns since I bake in 3" high pans. It heats up in no time flat. I just love it.

I've been wondering about spacing on the Deluxe oven. I bake lots of cheesecakes in 3" pans. Would the Deluxe oven spacing being so close to the cake cause them to get very brown on top with a 2 hour cook time? How many full size sheet pans can you fit in yours? Any thoughts appreciated.

DesignerCakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 10

You can bake 3 full size sheet cakes, or 6 half sheet sizes in the CR 2-3 model. I use 3" pans and that is why I chose the model with the 7" crowns. If you are a member of ICES, you get a big discount on the oven (about $1000).

www.deluxeovens.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%