Betty Crocker Vs Duncan Hines

Decorating By vickster Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 4:45am by plbennett_8

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:21am
post #31 of 52

I use Betey Crocker and Pillsbury. Every time I have tried Duncan Hinze I have had trouble with it. It crumbles too much and sometimes it sticks in the pan. And I can get BC & Pills most of the time for .88 each. But I think you have to use whatever you prefer.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:49am
post #32 of 52

Here's the info for Kroger's sale:

Betty Crocker Cake Mix
50¢* each
Selected Varieties 18-18.4 oz

SAVE WITH CARD FINAL COST EACH WHEN YOU PURCHASE TEN. *Sale Price $1.00. Buy 10, Get $5.00 Instant Rebate.

Expires 04/08/2008

msdmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msdmom Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:04pm
post #33 of 52

I baked the yellow, white and chocolate cakes for both and had my hubby take to work and had the guys decide (also a way to send in some treats for his buddies) dh won hands down and that is actully what I prefer anyway..

MeNameJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeNameJane Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:28am
post #34 of 52

Wow... I find this very interesting. Some prefer DH some prefer BC and it seems that each group will only use that one brand.

I personally have never found DH to be dry. Every time I use a mix I always reach for DH. Their "butter recipe golden" for the longest time was the only mix my mom would use. So I learned from her and have always chosen DH. I don't know why but I've always considered BC and Pillsbury to be substandard but never actually tried them side by side.

My office only has 12 people so if I made 3 different cakes to compare them there is no way we would be able to eat them in a week...

Also, Classycakes said that she cut the cake to see orange blobs (mix that didn't dissolve) in the middle... That has happened to me before. The one time I did buy BC I saw the blobs. I guess I'll have to make the cakes side by side to see.

Msdmom: When you made the 3 cakes and sent them with your husband to work did you ice them? If you did I'm assuming you iced them all the same... Did you use an extender recipe or just make it straight like the back of the box says?

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:04am
post #35 of 52

My preference is DH. I've had issues with BC, when I use them I always have to sift b/c they're SOOOO lumpy! However, that being said, I always use BC chocolate fudge or milk chocolate for my chocolate cake, because I can only find devil's food (bleh) in DH.

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:06am
post #36 of 52

Yellobutterfly, DH does make this absolutely wonderful Chocolate Fudge mix. It's a deep chocolate, black looking rather than brown if you know what I mean - like a Black Forest cake. It's awesome! You should ask your supermarket if they can get some in for you. Many stores will do that. It's definitely worth a try because it's sooo delicious. thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:28pm
post #37 of 52

BC makes a dark chocolate cake that is unbelievably chocolatey! It's hard to find, so when I do find it it's rarely a sale price but I stock up anyway--it is hands down the best chocolate cake.

I use the WASC recipe http://www.recipezaar.com/69630 and it suggests to use BC or PB. I found out why when I used DH once: it spilled over the pan when rising! Perhaps it was a fluke or worsened because I used the banana cake, but it was weird.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:41pm
post #38 of 52

thanks classycakes and macs mom, I'll have to look for them.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:59pm
post #39 of 52

I used to use DH because my Wilton instructor said it was the best but I recently tried a BC because it generally runs cheaper here and fell in love with the difference! I think DH has a chemical aftertaste in some of their mixes and BC's chocolate fudge mix is to die for!!! It beats out any other chocolate I've ever tried.

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:02pm
post #40 of 52

The Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Mixes are so good....Their White and French Vanilla are very tasty! I also love their butter receipt version. Very delicious....

The White, in particular, is so good as WASC.

Good Luck!

DFND Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DFND Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:03pm
post #41 of 52

I read the directions for the WASC, and when it says 8 large egg white, does it mean eggs whites with no yolks... I probably sound stupid....

lori_d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lori_d Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:13pm
post #42 of 52

Well, if you use yolks the white cake won't be so white. That's all. I make my WASC with the whole eggs all the time, and it comes out fine.

Lori

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:14pm
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFND

I read the directions for the WASC, and when it says 8 large egg white, does it mean eggs whites with no yolks... I probably sound stupid....

Yes, you understood correctly...No Yolks. No, you don't sound stupid.

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:15pm
post #44 of 52

I'm a Pillsbury gal. But I got brave this week and swooped up the Betty Crocker deal at Kroger.

Every single box of BC was lumpy as all get out. I suspect the mfg is trying to dump all the old boxes before they have to raise their prices on the new stuff.

Ugh.

Barbend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbend Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:22pm
post #45 of 52

I purchased 30 boxes yesterday. I checked the expiration dates to make sure this was not the reason they were on sale. All the dates were fine. I had purchased BC a few weeks ago and loved it. I had always used DH in the past because it was recommended by wilton instructor. I think I will stay with BC now. I might even go back and purchase more!!! GREAT DEAL!!!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:36pm
post #46 of 52

i just bought a bunch and found that I do not like the White mix. It tastes funny. But the Tripple Chocolate and Yellow are fine. I am waiting for them to restock so I can get some more.

They seemed to bake fine (I use the extender mix) They were a bit lumpy though. I did notice that!

I usually only use DH, but for 50 cents, I can't pass it up! I will deal with the lumps. I just passed the mix through a mesh sleeve.

Stephanie

Nette2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nette2007 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:42pm
post #47 of 52

Fry's was also having this sale this past week!

MeNameJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeNameJane Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:12pm
post #48 of 52

I'm not familiar with Fry's. I'm in Alabama and I've never seen one. Where are you located?

If there are any sales like that on DH I'll be all over it. Unfortunately most of the Kroger's here have closed.

klynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klynne Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:42pm
post #49 of 52

My personal favorite and favorite of everyone I've baked for is Pillsbury. I have tried the others and without a doubt I get the best results and taste with Pillsbury. Walmart usually has these for 88 cents and sometimes local groceries will have them 5 fpr $5.

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:58am
post #50 of 52

Duncan Hines hands down. I've tried Pillsbury and Betty Crocker, but I just love DH.

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:11am
post #51 of 52

I use the Duncan Hines and Pillsbury when I am not using a scratch recipe. People always comment on how moist they are. Whenever I have to get the Betty Crocker, it crumbles a lot.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:45am
post #52 of 52

Ok... I may get stoned for this one...chuckle... icon_razz.gif But with the rising prices, those Wal-Mart brand cake mixes keep catching my eye...lol I was wondering if anyone had ever tried one. I always use the extender or WASC... I have always been a DH gal...

The Kroger website is not showing any stores in the Baton Rouge area, but I know they used to be here...maybe they are all Walgreens now...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%