Pin Up Girl Cake

Decorating By redhare Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 6:22pm by sweettoothmom

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 13

Ok I'm REALLY early on planning this cake BUT I need to know so that I know what supplies I need to purchase in advance...

Last night while on cc someone recommended pinkcakebox.com for cake ideas for someone else. Anyway, I saw this cake and thought OMG I LOVE the Martini Glass idea.
http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/195-2006-12-15.htm

I'm having a vintage 40/50's pin up girl party for my dh on his next bday. SO I LOVE the martini glass idea not sure if I should add anything to it, like a pin up girl or something but I was also thinking an add'l cake to sit w/ it any ideas for that? I want the 'classy' pin up girls the ones w/ clothes on and such. Am I making ANY sense?

12 replies
Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daveilg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daveilg Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:39am
post #3 of 13

First, Wally world has the martini glasses for about 4.00 a pair. Next why not an edible image or just carve another cake into a pin up girl? Try MMF or Fondant girls in the glasses just like the pix amia1024 showed you. If you need some more pix or inspiration try this link, I turned on moderate safe search so all should be what you want:

http://images.google.com/images?q=pin+up+girls&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USicon_surprised.giffficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Good luck and scream if you need anything!!

Dave

redhare Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 13

thanks ~ I have done a ton of searches and found a decent number of pin ups that I really like So I can use those.
Thanks for the tip about Walmart's martini glasses.

I'd have to see if any place around here can print edible images for me - i don't have the eqiupment needed...

I had thought about making fondant girls for the martini glasses but I'm afraid that since I'm not that good at molding yet that i wouldn't do them justice.

daveilg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daveilg Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 13

Since you have time, make up a batch of fondant and practice. If you don't color it and don't let it harden you can use it over and over until you get it right. Remember to keep it in an air tight container and you can use it for at least a week. As far as the edible images, ck with Wally world and see if they will print them. If not send me a PM and I might be able to help!

Dave

redhare Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 13

thanks for your help Dave. I'll have to practice (pratice makes perfect so they say maybe I can hit mediocure).

Keep the ideas coming though so I can maybe get my creative brain cells flowin'

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:59am
post #7 of 13

I know this is older post, but I'm wondering if the cake ever got done? What did you decide to do?

I really like pin up art and am curious what your final cake looked like.

redhare Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 13

no, the cake hasn't been done yet I still have LOTS of time but since it was something really new for me I wanted to give myself time to practice (plus I'm a planner icon_biggrin.gif)

I did go to a dollar store and found martini glasses for a dollar each so I am doing the cup cake things.
I have been practicing on making pin up girls out of mmf but so far not so much luck.
I had an idea of making a vodka bottle and having a tie around the base of the board (like the tie was thrown and went around the bottle type thing) and maybe have a bra hanging on the bottle w/ the martini cupcakes all around it. Not sure still flirting w/ ideas....

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:34am
post #10 of 13

I collect pinup girls so you must post this when its done. I cant wait to see it !! It's gonna be great.

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhare

thanks ~ I have done a ton of searches and found a decent number of pin ups that I really like So I can use those.
Thanks for the tip about Walmart's martini glasses.

I'd have to see if any place around here can print edible images for me - i don't have the eqiupment needed...

I had thought about making fondant girls for the martini glasses but I'm afraid that since I'm not that good at molding yet that i wouldn't do them justice.

Redhare,
Just a thought 4 u.
Y not make a silouhette of a pin up girl to go on the glasses. If you did them in black you could adhere them to the outside or inside of the glass. The silouhettes like you see on a trucks mudflaps etc......

redhare Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:01pm
post #12 of 13

that's a good Idea I'll ahve to think on what would be the best way to tackle that... HMMM but that's a good one to ponder.

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:22pm
post #13 of 13

You could use fun foam instead of fondant. Since it is on the outside of the glass no problem with it being confused with something edible. It cuts easily with a zacto knife.

I think I have even seen decals you could use. Checkout a car/truck parts store. If your artsy try using glass paint and paint them on. Make sure your glasses are ok to be heated first though. Most glass paint has to be heat cured to be permanent.

Could be a great piece of memorabilia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%