How Long Will Fondant Letter Cut Outs Remain Pliable?

Decorating By tracey1970 Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 10:43am by janbabe

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 7

I was thinking of cutting out some fondant letters today (using the Wilton letter cut out set) to use on a cake for next Saturday. I don't think I'll have time to do it this week or next weekend. I am planning to use just plain fondant (no gumpaste in it).

I wouldn't even be hesitating to do it if the letters were going to be laid flat on the top of the cake, but I want to place them around the side of a 10" round cake. I am concerned that if I cut them out too soon and dry them flat, they won't be pliable enough by next Saturday to go around a round cake.

Could I cover the cutouts with something to keep them somewhat pliable? I was also thinking about cutting them out and letting them dry by placing them on the outside of the empty pan just to try and help them dry sort of in the shape of the pan. Would they stick to teh pan if I laid it flat on the counter? Would I have to turn the pan edge side up, meaning I could only get letters around a small portion of the pan side? The letters I am cutting out will go all the way around the cake. I'd have to use several pans to dry them that way. I think using flower formers for drying them might make them too curved.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 7

I've never done this, but I think you could use some of that Glad press-n-seal. Do you have that in Canada? Or lay some plastic wrap in an air tight container and lightly coat with crisco - lay on the letters, and cover with more plastic wrap. it's the air that dries it out; i think for a week, you could keep the letters pliable.

tracey1970 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 7

Yes, we can get press and seal here. I'll give that a try. Thanks so much for your help.

foots2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foots2 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 7

I have cut out fondant shapes earlier than I needed them and they were still pliacle a week later. I would suggest the sealing cling also. I did use the regular too, and it was fine. Just put them on a flat surface after wrapping them. Make sure to push out all the air, or as much as you can

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 7

You can freeze fondant shapes and then let them warm up a little before you use them and they'll still be pliable.

tracey1970 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 7

Perfect! I know what I'm doing this afternoon! Thanks, everyone.

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:43am
post #7 of 7

If its just fondant you are using to cut out your numbers, if you store them in a sealed container they will not set hard. Fondant only firms up when left in the air.
I've done fondant bits and bobs to go on cakes a while in advance, store in an airtight container and you will be fine.

If you use a mix of fondant and gumpaste, this holds the shape of the lettering better, but will set off quite firm within an hour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%