How Much Do You Fill Your Pans? I'm Confused

Decorating By yummymummy Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 9:57am by yummymummy

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 7

I was looking at the cake serving chart in the article section, and it said that 3" deep pans should be filled only half way, but 2" pans 2/3 of the way. Why the difference?
Also, the chart says a 10" round 3"deep pan serves 38. Is that just a one layer cake torted and filled? icon_confused.gif
I feel like an idiot asking what is probably a very obvious question! icon_cry.gificon_redface.gif

6 replies
CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 7

Almost all my pans are 3" and I always fill to 2/3. Now why would you get a pan 1" deeper but not fill it to make a deeper cake?? That makes no sense.
As for the 10" cake, all my round cakes are two layer, and most are tort and filled. So far they have all been wedge cut, so I'm not sure how many party servings they'd yield without looking at a chart. Sorry, that part doesn't help you.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 7

I like to fill my pans 2/3 full no matter the size. I have never had a problem with any of them.

yummymummy Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 7

Well, that's what I thought! icon_rolleyes.gif I've been doing the same thing...2/3 full no matter what. Thanks for the info on the double layer. I want that nice tall look, but wasn't sure about the serving changes. I would think they would just double?

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 7

I use the Wilton chart. I've never been real good with "eyeballing it", so going by how many cups has always worked out best for me.

http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/index.cfm

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:45am
post #6 of 7

ditto to lanibird. The Wilton chart hasn't failed me yeticon_smile.gif

Paula

yummymummy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:57am
post #7 of 7

Okay...maybe I'll try the cup thing! Tahnks!icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%