My First Big Event Tonight!

Decorating By MichelleM77 Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 3:39pm by mkolmar

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 8

I'm so nervous. icon_cry.gif I'm participating in the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's Wine Opener fundraiser tonight. 400 people have paid to come and sample wines and foods from local restaurants, and I was asked to bring cookies for their dessert option (there is a fruit lady there for dessert too). I'm soooo nervous! 400 people will be sampling my cookies! I also donated a gift certificate and a small basket of cookies for their auction.

I also made a batch of cake balls/truffles, but they look rediculous. I don't know how you guys get them so nice looking. I had no problem getting them round, but dipping them made them look so sloppy, even after swirling some pink across the top of them. Oh well. They taste good though! (chocolate cake, raspberry jam)

Cross your fingers for me that I'm not a nervous wreck and that I can relax enough to enjoy the night!

Michelle

7 replies
lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 8

Congrats on your first big event! I'll send some good ju-ju your way! They wouldn't have asked you to bring your cookies if they weren't good! Take solace in that, and relax, so you can par-tay! party.gifthumbs_up.gif

I'm with you on the cake balls, I can never get them looking as nice as others I have seen here.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 8

Stop, breath and just imagine that Wentworth Miller is holding your hand through it all! (sigh....) Er, wait, would that make you even more nervous icon_wink.gif

In all seriously, you'll be fine!!!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 8

Hey I used to work at the CCF in Memphis and we had a Wine Opener. That brings back memories from a few years ago. I am sure your crowd in Akron will love your work! That was extremely nice to bring a basket for auction. It will be exciting to see how much it will bring in!

Kudos to you and good luck with the Wine Opener. I am sure the CFF folks are very glad to have you and are very thankful for all your goodies! icon_biggrin.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 8

It was a great time. There were a few different rooms set up, so didn't get around to see what all was there (I was by myself due to a death in the family and my MIL needed to be at the funeral home). Met a lot of really, really nice people. Lots of interest, many wondered why I didn't have a retail location, but were happy when I said I delivered (That might have to change!). A few caterers and a winery are interested in working with me as well.

My ugly little cake truffles went over like crazy! I got a lot of those "rolling eyes closed I'm eating chocolate and it's so good" looks. I had one girl kept coming back, said they were heaven. A few comments that they went really well with the black raspberry wine from the next time (i had chocolate cake/raspberry jam cake truffles). Had a few serious inquiries about ordering them. yikes! I don't know how to price those puppies. Said I just had them as a tester to see how they are accepted and guess I better figure that part out! icon_smile.gif

I didn't find out what my basket went for, but a lady stopped to see me because she said she was currently the highest bidder. I am curious to find out though!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 8

Congrats on a job well done! I don't know if this will help you out since your pricing and food prices are more than likely different than mine. The kitchen I rent is in Toledo, Ohio so at least we are in somewhat the same area for logistic reasons. My cake balls sell for $10.50 a dozen.
Congrats again!

MichelleM77 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 8

mkolmar, thank you so much! I've read from $3 dozen to $8 dozen on here and can't figure it out. I really need to sit down and figure costs too (I always do things backwards!).

I'm anxious to hear how much the event brought in. They sold out on tickets this year and with the auction I'm sure it was a hit! I can't wait until next year and hope I'm invited again. I was nervous, but it was sooo much fun. Everyone was mingling, drinking, talking, raising money for a good cause. What a night!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 8

Mine are $10.50 once I figured out food costs, time and delivery. I also wanted to start out with a good price and try not to raise the price of them later on. I started out selling them at $8 and it took only 3x of making them to figure out that I wasn't making enough to continue for that little money. (I use a good quality dipping chocolate and other ingredients so my food cost is slightly higher than the average.) It was then I decided to sit down and figure out my food cost. Yep, I did it backwards too. I wasn't making the profit I wanted on them for the time involved so I raised the price to $9.50. Once gas prices raised (and I have to deliver all of my products) I raised the price to $10.50 a dozen. I figured it out and I can get 4 dozen balls usually out of one cake recipe. (Unless I have scraps on hand and then it really save on the food cost). I sell my cakes starting at $32 if it's covered in ganache. So I actually make almost the same amount by selling 3 dozen cake balls. (I usually get orders for at least 3 dozen at a time from one shoe store I do business with.) It's just .50 cents less, and actually when using food scraps I make even more because of the amount I saved on food cost. This then leaves me with some left over to take to someone else as a sample of my work which I can then right off of taxes and hopefully gain new customers. Usually though I just take them to my kids teachers or someone I know who likes them as a special treat.
I do have to deliver and with gas prices the way they are (as well as eggs and flour) I'm tying to hold off on raising prices again. Don't get me wrong I have no problems raising prices but I just hate the thought of figuring out food costs again since all items cost more. I plan on doing it though in May once I get time to sit down and crunch numbers.
Once you figure out your food cost, electricity and such you'll have a better idea of what you want and should be charging.
I'm sure you'll get lots of orders from this event! It sounds as if it went well and I'm sure they will remember you and your treats. Just get ready for lots of calls and inquires, because you are going to have them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%