Sturdy Drinking Straws

Decorating By travelingcakeplate Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 4:45am by DecoratingDingbat

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 4

Hi--

The last two stacked cakes I did were HIDEOUS! and one fell completetly apart in the car during delivery! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I had to fly to TARGET and have them scape the picture off a premade cake that was on the shelf. I was so discouraged and sad I still feel like crying.

I think I have just lost my touch with dowel rods.

My am going to try my luck with drinking straws on the next cake I stack next weekend. However, I need to know where I can get some nice sturdy drinking straws. The ones at walmart seem so flemsy. Any ideas?

TIA

tcp

3 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 4

I've always used regular drinking straws and have had no problems.

One option would be bubble tea straws - they can be found online or you could even try looking for them at an Asian market in your city.

Another option - which I probably shouldn't advocate since it's technically stealing - is AFTER you order your food from McDonald's grab a handful of their straws. They are stronger than the average one.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 4

You really need to try out Bakery Craft SPS Single Plate System, Global Sugar Art now sells the components. Very sturdy, no dowel or straw cutting. I have traveled over 3 hours with 3tier stacked cakes successfully.

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:45am
post #4 of 4

I always use the bubble straws and never had any trouble - not once. If I can't find them at the Asian market (ocassionally they don't have them), I go to the 7-11 stores and check the 'slurpee' straws. Once I even asked if I could buy the box - they said "that would be the manager's decision and he's not here, but you can take what you need for now"
So .... for the price of a small slurpee for DD, I took a 3/4 full box of the large straws. icon_redface.gif I took what I needed - why'd she I asked to purchase a box, because I only needed 2 of them?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%