Mixer "died" Can I Mix With Hand Mixer?

Decorating By sjmoral Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 3:41am by stsapph

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:56am
post #1 of 6

Anyone had their mixer "die"in the middle of doing a cake?? Mine started smelling funny and then made a loud noise and it stopped working. Right now I'm calm but that means my stampin'night is ruined tomorrow ; (
Can I use a hand mixer for cakes? How about for icing? I think the answer is no for the icing but who knows...
I had a Sunbeam... cheap me who didn't get a Kitchenaid in the first place!

5 replies
busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:02am
post #2 of 6

I have never tried to use a hand mixer for icing but the Wilton teacher who taught our class said you can use a hand mixer you just have to take your time and don't overwork you mixer. I guess it can get hot I don't know. Good Luck!

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:10am
post #3 of 6

You will need a good hand mixer and you can only mix in small batches. It will not handle the large batches......I mix 3 cups of icing at a time when using the hand mixer.......

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:12am
post #4 of 6

I have used both KA and hand mixers for cakes and icings and haven't had an issue. It just takes a little longer and a little more work with the hand mixer, but it can be done. Heck, I have made a cake once without a mixer at all, just a large wooden spoon (back in my college days!). People have been making cakes and icings far longer than we have had mixers, but I would never give mine up! Good luck and hopefully your KA will be fixed soon.

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:36am
post #5 of 6

Thanks! I WISH I had a kitchenaid (I will say this loud to see if my dh hears me LOL)
I''ll just go to sleep and make it tomorrow. Maybe I can use my friend's mixer for a day...
Thanks again!

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:41am
post #6 of 6

Well in that case, good luck and hopefully your DH will buy you a KA!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%