Questions About Satin Ice Fondant

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 1 May 2008 , 2:56pm by SLK

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 36

I just bought some to use on a large cake next weekend. Who has had experience with this product? Please tell me it has a good taste - I didn't want to make 5 batches of MMF, and 3 of them chocolate at that, so that is why I bought the fondant. How thick do you think I should roll it - am thinking about 3/16th of an inch as 1/4 seems way too thick, but 1/8 seems too thin. I also have to make a large loop bow with it.........how long does it take to dry? Let's hope this stuff comes by Wednesday at the latest!

icon_eek.gif Can you tell I am getting nervous?! This will be my first PAID big cake job!

deb

35 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 36

The kids at my DD's birthday wanted to take the SI dots home from the cake LOL That is how well kids like it....depending on how thick your buttercream is but I roll it just a hair thinner then 1/4 inch..

You don't want it to become to dry ...

The SI seems to melt into the taste of the cake I think... I have had no problems with people and the taste of it!!! Good luck icon_smile.gif

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 36

Satin Ice tastes great. I use Fondx at the shop because that's what the boss gets us and it taste good too. But mmmmmm Satin ice tastes like yummy sugary marshmallows. And it works wonderfully!!! I've never had a complaint out of myself when I'm using it!!!! LOL! I do like to knead in a little shortening when working with it instead of powdered sugar, seems to work better!!!
LaLa

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 36

I think you will enjoy working with Satin Ice fondant. I have never used/made MMF so I can't help with a comparison with that. Satin Ice has a real nice flavor; not bland.
I roll it out the same thickness as I do any other fondant (Pettinice; FondX; etc.) and it works well for me.

For your bow, I would allow it to dry overnight with paper towel pieces in the loops. You might could get away with making it early in the day and placing it on the cake that evening. Might still be soft so you could leave the paper pieces in it overnight.

Good Luck!! thumbs_up.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 36

I love Satin Ice. It's easy to work with and IMO tastes like a vanilla tootsie roll. It smells good too icon_smile.gif Everyone who has had it on their cake (as accents only, so far) have loved it. With the Wilton (which I would NEVER use again, now that I've found the SI), they'd just peel off the accents and throw away icon_lol.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:26am
post #6 of 36

SI is AWESOME!!! It smells so good, has a nice mellow vanilla scent and the taste?? OMG... it doesn't even compare to MMF. I like MMF, taste is good, easy to make, not to much of a pain to work with and if I'm making a small cake, I do with that. My hubby says MMF still tastes too much like marshmellows, so he doesn't like it. But SI, to me just has a more professional look to it. MY hubby and boys are always trying to sneak little pinches of it when I'm working with it. It's smooth and super easy to work with. Did I mention the taste?? OMG.. just wait until you get it and open up that tub the first time and get a good whiff of it. You'll know before tasting it that it will be good... mmmm Ok, I'm drooling all over my keyboard now.. think I might need to go sneak pinch of SI outta my bucket! LOL

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:26am
post #7 of 36

I used Satin Ice on my last cake...I also made a large loop bow as well for the top but I added a bit of Gum-tex to the fondant for the bow so the loops would dry harder/faster...

The taste is definitely quite good..I personally prefer the tast of McCalls (Canada) but I think Satin Ice is really good to work with..no probs at all
I roll it just a hair less than 1/4"..you'll have a nice smooth finish if you do that. I also put pretty well a full coating of SMBC under it (put that in the fridge till hard) and then you have a nice stable cake without squishy icing underneath...
I do all my fondant cakes that way..
HTH

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 36

a girl in my cake decorating class used it and said it was great. it tasted like vanilla icing. especially after using wilton fondant.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 36

I think I'm the only one who doesn't like SI, but I've never tried their white. Compared to MMF it has a waxier finish that makes it a little harder to adhere embellishments (especially if it dries), it dries with a harder finish than MMF, tears easier, the red and black end up with a matte finish that I've had to coat with Crisco to make it more appealing, and I prefer the taste of my MMF.

I add glycerine to MMF to make it more pliable, a teaspoon of salt to cut back on the sweetness of MMF, and I use equal parts butter flavoring (LoRann) and chocolate extract (Nielsen Massey) for a fabulous taste.

I've made so many batches of MMF that is a piece of cake (no pun intended - and not that making cake is easy!). Ever since I learned here to add cocoa powder to MMF when making brown or black I will never buy another SI.

aliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:03pm
post #10 of 36

Can't help with pricing.
Just wanted to say your cakes are beautiful! icon_smile.gif

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 36

I don't care for SI either. I think it tastes like sweetened Play Dough. I made Michelle Foster's Delicious Fondant which was quite easy to make and to work with, and it tasted waaaay better IMO. Anyway, just my 2 cents.HTH.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:14pm
post #12 of 36

I love SI. Love the product, the taste, the ease of use. Love the precolored SI. I made MMF once. What a hassle.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:15pm
post #13 of 36

I agree with JaneK, SI taste ok but McCalls is so much better. Choco-pan is also delicious (very much like McCalls) and Global Sugar Art has it on sale right now.

lh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lh Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:29pm
post #14 of 36

i think satin ice tastes and works very similarly to mmf, however the price of it doesnt justify purchasing it (at least not to me). i can make 3 batches of mmf for the price of a small tub of satin ice. yes, it's a hassle to make mmf icon_sad.gif if satin ice was cheaper i'd certainly would purchase it.

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:14pm
post #15 of 36

I didn't care for it...I bought some when it was on sale a few months ago...I still have some of it. That is how little I use it I ONLY use it for decor that is going to be dried and not eaten since it is so old now...I will say though that is very easy to work with. So far I haven't found ANY fondant that I like the taste of, MMF is way to sweet; Wiltons well I won't say what it reminds me of and; SI smells good but still has a weird after taste to me. I just prefer BC I guess

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:16pm
post #16 of 36

I love SI, it's all I use. I tried RBC and MMF and neither one worked at all for me, too greasy and sticky for me. I'll gladly pay, in this case, for the convenience of having it already made. I got a great deal at IntoTheOven.com too. Cheaper than my local deco shop with shipping too!

luvmykidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmykidz Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:57pm
post #17 of 36

Hi!
I'm new (I'm also new at cake making)and I was trying to find the thread about buying fondant but couldn't find it. icon_cry.gif
where can I buy it? I love it and I want to make a 3 tier cake for my daughters birthday......thanks

luvmykidz Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:15pm
post #18 of 36

Thank you so much. I went on that website and it looks great. as i said, i'm new to cake making and i mean "real" cake making. I usually used "the box".....
i'm making an orange cake so do you thing a 2lb bucket is enough for a 3 tier?

luvmykidz Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:28pm
post #19 of 36

i just posted a picture of the cake i want to make.....it's gorgeous. do i make the flowers and leaves out of fondant too?

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:38pm
post #20 of 36

I made my own MMF for 2 years. It was cheep and tasted good - but it was fickle when it came to humidity, heat, etc. I then tried Toba Garrett fondant and it tasted great- but again - I had problems when I made it on humid and/or hot days. I live in Missouri and we have lot's of extreme weather.

I had to do a wedding cake that would have required 5 batches of MMF - so I started to look at my time to make it - the inconsistency from batch to batch - and the cost of buying Satin Ice.

I found a thread about IntoToTheOven.com and checked out their prices - now that is all that I order. Intotheoven prices for Satin Ice are very reasonable and the company is sooooo fast and shipping it out. I actually ordered one morning at 8 a.m. and the fondant arrived on my doorstep the next day at noon!!!! I was blown away.

I usually buy a 20 lb container at a time and the price comes up to under $3 per lb - and that includes shipping. I've ordered the white, chocolate, black and red.

MichelleM77 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:03pm
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykidz

i'm making an orange cake so do you thing a 2lb bucket is enough for a 3 tier?

I don't think that will be enough, but I've never made a 3-tier cake. If you go the SatinFineFoods.com website (makers of SI), they have a chart on there for how much you need. Wilton has one too, but I can't remember the link offhand.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:24pm
post #22 of 36

2 lb is definately not enough for 3 tiers - it might cover one tier.

I guess with MMF you just have to get used to making it--the feel of it--to know how much PS to use. It's all I make since it costs under $3 for 2 lb PS and 16 oz MM (Wal Mart brand). I'm not sure what the breakdown is for a T of glycerine and 2 t flavoring. I do prefer Great Value because C&H seems to make it stickier--there must be more corn starch in Great Value.

Oh, and FORGET about Jet-Puffed MMs! It makes MMF come out really weird (IMO, compared to GV).

I also like the ease of coloring MMF (just stir it into the melted MM's) and the variety of flavors you can use to complement the cake--especially lemon and strawberry. Adding that teaspoon of salt really does make a big difference in the sweetness.

luvmykidz Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:41am
post #23 of 36

WOw! you guys are awesome! thank you so much for all the info. I'm going to order the fondant. I have to make this cake at my mother's (its a surprise for my daughter). I have 3 weeks til the party so I'm going to practice on a small cake with the fondant. thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!

biancas_mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #24 of 36

not to hijack your thread, but i had a question about satin ice, too...i'm looking at it at intotheoven and the little product description spiel says that you can put the finished cake in the fridge or freezer after you've covered it with satin ice. but i always thought you couldn't chill a cake covered in fondant because of condensation issues. does anybody know why the website says that and if it's true? do you ever refrigerate your cake with satin ice on it?

MichelleM77 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:10am
post #25 of 36

I put SI cakes in the fridge (in a closed box) and had no problems. It might have done it's sweating thing in the box after I took it out, but didn't see it, kept the lid closed.

luvmykidz Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:18pm
post #26 of 36

michelle,
how much do i buy for a 3 tier cake? and some extra cause I want to make a small practice cake.
and also, what is MMF?
Soly

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:13am
post #27 of 36

For black and red fondant I like the sweet insperations brand from cal-java. I might be a tad biased. I'd rather eat my dogs woobie than make black or red fondant!!!!!! Nice texture and pretty good taste.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:51am
post #28 of 36

Once I got a couple of bigger (for me) orders, I thought "I've arrived. I'm not making any more MMF." LOL...seriously, I hate making it. So, I bought a 20# bucket. I was disappointed that the $96 bucket (I didn't know any better...bought it at a local shop) only lasted through six cakes and figured that I'd go back to cost-effective MMF. Well, I used the SI to make the wine crate cake on my blog for my girlfriend. This is the same friend that ordered the computer cake in my pics. She called me the next day and said "I have to give you some feedback. Everyone loved the fondant. I don't know what you put in it, but it tastes ten times better than the fondant on my mon's cake and I didn't think that was bad." Given that these cakes were about 9 months apart and she recognized that she liked the fondant that much, I figured I'd better stick with SI from now on.

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:29am
post #29 of 36

luvmykidz,
according to Wilton 5lbs of fondant will cover a 2-layer 6in, 8in and 10 in round tiered cake. Plus have some left for decorations. This is according to the Wilton website I have never actually made a 3 tier cake. So you would probably want to go with a 10lb tub to have enough for 3 tiers plus another cake.

MMF is Marshmellow fondant, you make it yourself. They have a couple of recipes for it here on CC. I made it once and liked the taste but I didn't enjoy making it and thought it was to sticky and hard to work with. A lot of other people love it though. Just my oppinion.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:22pm
post #30 of 36

Just opened and rolled out the SI dark chocolate fondant...........tastes like a soft tootsie roll...........and wow is it dark! Only made the loops for the bow right now, tomorrow nite I cover the whole cake. So far, so good.......was easy to roll. Will keep you all posted!

deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%