Which Brand Of Cake Pans Are The Best To Buy?

Decorating By xstitcher Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 12:07pm by HerBoudoir

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:48am
post #1 of 21

Hi everyone,

I've just started my journey into baking/decorating and have purchased some cake pans from Walmart to get me started. I didn't want to buy too much just in case I did not like baking and decorating but I'm hooked!
I am looking to get some good cake pans but am not sure which brands are the best to buy for a decent price. If someone could give me some feedback as to what type of pans they use and the quality that would be great!

Thanks!

20 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:31am
post #2 of 21

How often you bake and the size of your wallet are two important considerations. icon_smile.gif

If you're leaning toward an eventual business, a commerical line such as Magic Line would be a worthwhile expense.

If you're an enthusiastic homebaker then the Wilton Peformance Pans & Decorator Preferred lines will work just fine (if you know what to look for).

The Wilton pans are a good value (especially using 40% off coupons) which allows you to purchase complete pan sets or multiples of popular sizes without breaking the bank.

FYI, the Wilton sheet cake pans with the SQUARE corners are the Decorator Preferred line:

http://www.shopbakersnook.com/116.html
(For illustrative purposes only.)

The pan sets all work well (but be aware, the square set has rounded corners) :

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?id=3E304E04-475A-BAC0-50BE3F6943544E76&fid=3E305AA7-475A-BAC0-56E271ECC35D2026

Also, Wilton offers a tremendous amount of customer support:

www.wilton.com

HTH

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:24am
post #3 of 21

I use the Wilton pans right now, as well, though I'm slowly replacing my most-used sizes and shapes with Magic Line pans as I'm able. I haven't had a problem with the Wilton, like others have seemed to, and as long as they work for what I need 'em for, I won't sweat getting the others. icon_smile.gif

And if you're just starting out, hey... stick with what you can afford. If I could afford the Magic Lines, you can bet they'd be in my kitchen! LOL But until then, Wilton's pans do just fine.

And ditto on the 40% off coupon. If you have an AC Moore nearby, watch for specials. They've been giving out a LOT of 50% off coupons at the register recently, though they're usually only good for Super Tuesday or Saturdays. Still, 50% is a wonderful way to get multiples of the sets, and those can come in really handy when you need to bake a large tiered cake. icon_smile.gif

(Just FYI... if you are looking for a job and they're hiring, AC Moore also gives their employees 20% off everything... including coupons! I think I paid about $15 for my set of square pans a couple of weeks ago)

xstitcher Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:49am
post #4 of 21

Thank you JanH & DoniB for the great feedback.

I've been searching online to see if I can find Magic Line in Canada and so far no luck! I'll buy some Wilton pans from Michaels for the time being and the next time I visit the States I'll pick up some Magic Line pans.

Thanks again for answering my question!

Parm

xstitcher Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:52am
post #5 of 21

TO : DoniB

Thanks for the info about AC Moore unfortunately we don't have them here in Alberta!

I wish I was still living in the States ((((sigh)))

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:16am
post #6 of 21

Can you order from AC Moore online? I don't know if they ship to canada, but they often have 40% and 50% off coupons, even for online stuff. You can sign up with them at acmoore.com, and check it out. They send specials right to your in-box. icon_smile.gif

Just a thought!

xstitcher Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:08am
post #7 of 21

DoniB,

Thanks! I'll check out their website later tonight. I'm just finally getting the baby to sleep (don't know how long for though.....).

Have a great weekend!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:35am
post #8 of 21

You will never regret buying good tools. And pans and a good turntable are basic tools. Magic Lines pans are the best by far.

xstitcher Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:17am
post #9 of 21

Hi DoniB,

I checked the website and unfortunately they do not ship internationally. They do however let you join so you can get any instructional videos etc from them on-line. Thanks again for the info.

Parm

xstitcher Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:20am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

You will never regret buying good tools. And pans and a good turntable are basic tools. Magic Lines pans are the best by far.

Hi leahs,

I would love to buy the Magic Line pans but no luck so far finding some on-line in Canada and everywhere that I can find it in the States that will actually ship to us cost a small fortune for the S/H. I plan on going down to Houston within the next year so if all works out I'll pick some up when I'm down there.

On a side note, I have seen many pans for something called Fat Daddios. Are these any good?

Thanks again for everyones feedback.

leah_s Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:42am
post #11 of 21

Fat Daddios are getting mixed reviews. I do not like them at all and will never buy another one. Others on here, however, love them. They do seem to require a different baking temp, so that's makes them a no-go for me. I load up my oven and can't be bothered with one brand that needs anything special.

leah_s Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:44am
post #12 of 21

Looks like Amazon carries Magic Line pans. They ship to Canada, right? And I've picked up a few from Ebay.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:06pm
post #13 of 21

I have some Fat Daddio's (round) and have been very pleased with them.
I have a few MagicLine too.

I bought my square pans from www.cakepans4less.com and have been happy with them too. The only ones I don't like are the inexpensive Wilton ones with the rounded corners.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:44pm
post #14 of 21

Have you checked Into the Oven? I just ordered from them and they had the best deal I could find including shipping.

BUT, I am in the US.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:35am
post #15 of 21

I love Magic Line pans. I got some Fat Daddios for Christmas and I like them, too. But I think ML is the best.

xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:33am
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Looks like Amazon carries Magic Line pans. They ship to Canada, right? And I've picked up a few from Ebay.

Thanks for the headsup on Amazon. They do ship to Canada but they often have restrictions on some of the items. Hopefully these aren't one of them!

Thanks again to everyone for replying!

xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:06am
post #17 of 21

I was sooooo excited to go onto Amazon.com, especially since it didn't look like there were any restrictions shipping to Canada. I put 4 ML's in my cart went to checkout and got this msg:

*** We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination....:

I'm soooo sad now icon_cry.gif

xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 9:29am
post #18 of 21

I have 1 last question to ask you all on this topic.

I have found a site that will ship to Canada but I just know it's going to be high but I digress...

So the question is : If you were to order some pans and you don't have any to start with which ones would be essential to buy (size wise).

Thanks!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:25am
post #19 of 21

I would start with standard sized pans, and get 2 of each. What do you make most?

Essential round pans for me: I use my 6 inch pans all the time, as I like to make small-sized cakes. I also use my 9 inch pans constantly for everything from upside down cakes to brownies to tortes to simple cutting cakes. 8 inch would work in their place; I just happen to have 9's.

Two sets of 12 pan regular size cupcake tins.

Half sheet pans (but I get mine from restaurant supply stores).

xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:18am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

I would start with standard sized pans, and get 2 of each. What do you make most?

Essential round pans for me: I use my 6 inch pans all the time, as I like to make small-sized cakes. I also use my 9 inch pans constantly for everything from upside down cakes to brownies to tortes to simple cutting cakes. 8 inch would work in their place; I just happen to have 9's.

Two sets of 12 pan regular size cupcake tins.

Half sheet pans (but I get mine from restaurant supply stores).

I've just finished the Wilton 1 course so I have basically just done the 9" rounds so far. I just finished the first class of Wilton II and from my understanding we only do the 1 cake and it is going to be an oval cake and Wilton supplies it with the kit. Other than that I have a couple of 8" rounds but there the small ones I got ages ago and there just the 1-1 1/2" rounds.. I've got a couple of varying size cupcake pans from Wilton and that completes my collection!

Any help you can provide would be great!

Parm

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:07pm
post #21 of 21

I took the Wilton I class myself, and am starting Wilton III tonight (class II is offered on a night that I just can't take it, so I'll go back and take it another time).

From what I understand, we'll be doing a tiered cake, so I may to buy some new pans for that (awwww!) Actually I can cobble together some of the pans I have and make it work but you know...any excuse to go shopping icon_wink.gif

I do want to get some of the 5 inch magic lines pans - as I said, I really enjoy making smaller cakes. All of the detail, less to waste. I also need at some point to get some good 8 inch and 10 inch square pans with sharp corners - I have 4 inch and 6 inch ones.

I have several of the Nordic Ware bundt pans in various sizes and shapes, and while I adore those, I don't use them all too often. I also have to resist some of them because the detail does NOT come out as perfect as I'd like.

The reality is, of course, that I'm a total kitchen gadget junkie, so I have to tons of stuff, and barely need an excuse for another icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%