Trick To Outlining

Baking By scrump Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 3:09am by Happybug98

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:03pm
post #31 of 51

judydp
yes, the cornstarch will wipe off. I usually take a paper towel and lightly wipe them. I don't do anything with Crisco though. Maybe only to put on my hands before I color the MMF.
By the way, do you recall the price of the rolling pins at BB&B?

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:06pm
post #32 of 51

linedancer - can you tell me about this pearly making please?

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:12pm
post #33 of 51

I usually don't pay much attention to the cornstarch. I don't use very much, but on dark colors it will make streaks. I find as you roll it, that goes away. Then when you cut the fondant, cookies are not huge, so you really don't notice. As particular as I am, this is something that just doesn't bother me. By the time you add impressions, embellishments, luster dust, etc..It does not detract from the overall design of the cookie IMHO. If there is a little cornstarch left, you could brush it off with a dry brush, or use the criso if you wish. Now, if you were doing a cake, it could be a different story, but alas, I am not much of a cake maker, so I can't help with that.

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:35pm
post #34 of 51

linedance...Thanks, I might use a little dust of some sort, even though the napkin that I am copying is a matte finish. Actually, today, after I got away from it for awhile, it didn't seem bad. As you, I guess I am too much of a perfectionist....trying too hard. THANKS to everyone...

Quote:
Quote:

toleshed....By the way, do you recall the price of the rolling pins at BB&B?

linedancer said that they are $7.00 at BBB. Also, I assume that linedancer measures equal amounts of fondant...rolls it in a ball with the palm of her hands, then dusts it with pearl dust, etc. Goodluck! HTH

Happybug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happybug98 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:40am
post #35 of 51

JudyDP- I know that I have been out of the conversation today but I go a different direction than Linedancer just because like most of us we have self taught and asked lots of questions from different people to see what works best for us. I have never used cornstarch when working with MMF. I did forget in my earlier posts to tell you that I keep a very small can of Crisco that I only use for my MMF. I always work without gloves (I get better control but also because I am allergic to latex) and dip my hands into the crisco before I start to roll each new ball out. I use the small Wilton fondant rolling pin. I will say that it took me a little bit to get used to it. Also I usually roll a small amount of MMF on a sheet of wax paper. After rolled I run a very thin spatula under it. You can use a decorator knife. I have a small spatula that I got from Pampered Chef and it works perfectly. I run the spatula under the MMF prior to cutting it so when I cut it does not stick. After cut I stick the spatula back under the MMF and it comes out perfect. Like I said earlier it is all a matter of pereference and you will see what works best for you. The only time I have ever added anything to my MMF is when I am working with large sections to cover a cake and then I use powdered sugar prior to rolling the large section back onto the rolling pin. If you do not like to use wax paper you can apply a small amount of Crisco to a clean counter top and roll that way as well. This way the MMF will not stick to the counter. But you will still want to run the spatula under it like before.

Also one more thing if you are working with any of the luster dust you can use Vodka or Lemon Juice to mix in with the powder prior to brushing it on and it will not affect the MMF. I like the vodka better since it does not change the taste of my MMF. That is what I used to paint on my Goldfish that I posted earlier.

Jill icon_smile.gif

Happybug98 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:46am
post #36 of 51

JudyDP- I know that I have been out of the conversation today but I go a different direction than Linedancer just because like most of us we have self taught and asked lots of questions from different people to see what works best for us. I have never used cornstarch when working with MMF. I did forget in my earlier posts to tell you that I keep a very small can of Crisco that I only use for my MMF. I always work without gloves (I get better control but also because I am allergic to latex) and dip my hands into the crisco before I start to roll each new ball out. I use the small Wilton fondant rolling pin. I will say that it took me a little bit to get used to it. Also I usually roll a small amount of MMF on a sheet of wax paper. After rolled I run a very thin spatula under it. You can use a decorator knife. I have a small spatula that I got from Pampered Chef and it works perfectly. I run the spatula under the MMF prior to cutting it so when I cut it does not stick. After cut I stick the spatula back under the MMF and it comes out perfect. Like I said earlier it is all a matter of pereference and you will see what works best for you. The only time I have ever added anything to my MMF is when I am working with large sections to cover a cake and then I use powdered sugar prior to rolling the large section back onto the rolling pin. If you do not like to use wax paper you can apply a small amount of Crisco to a clean counter top and roll that way as well. This way the MMF will not stick to the counter. But you will still want to run the spatula under it like before.

Toleshed - if you are working with any of the luster dust like linedancer you can use Vodka or Lemon Juice to mix in with the powder prior to brushing it on and it will not affect the MMF. I like the vodka better since it does not change the taste of my MMF. That is what I used to paint on my Goldfish cookie that I posted earlier. Also, they carry the same rolling pin at Linens and Things and they are also around $7.00 for the junior size.

Jill icon_smile.gif

Happybug98 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:00am
post #37 of 51

Toleshed - if you are working with any of the luster dust like linedancer you can use Vodka or Lemon Juice to mix in with the powder prior to brushing it on and it will not affect the MMF. It will make your pearls look more realistic. I like the vodka better since it does not change the taste of my MMF. That is what I used to paint on my Goldfish cookie that I posted earlier. Also, they carry the same rolling pin at Linens and Things and they are also around $7.00 for the junior size.

Jill icon_smile.gif

linedancer Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 11:31am
post #38 of 51

Happybug98 those are good suggestions. I also keep crisco on hand, grease my mats with it, so it leaves some on my hands to work the fondant. The reason I use a little cornstarch is because my rolling pin seems to roll it out better and not stick to the fondant. I never use gloves either.

I usually dust my cookies with dry luster dust. Once in awhile, I will paint with it, but usually use vanilla since we have an alcohol problem in my family and I don't want to take any kind of a chance. If I know, for sure, the cookies are not for my family, I will use vodka, and I think that it does dry faster.

Wow, everyone should be on overload with information, isn't it great that there are so many ideas floating around here?

Happybug98 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:24am
post #39 of 51

My computer froze last night when I was trying to make my post above so I did not know if it actually accepted it. I am sorry that it posted three times. icon_surprised.gificon_sad.gif

Happybug98 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:26am
post #40 of 51

Linedancer- Thanks for the info on the cornstarch I will have to try it next time. icon_smile.gif

linedancer Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:59am
post #41 of 51

I make a little dusting bag by taking a handiwipe (the kind of dry cloth wipes), cut it in half, put a little cornstarch in the middle and tie it up with a rubberband. You can clip the top off if you feel like you have too much handiwipe left. I usually give mine a haircut. You have a dusting bag that lasts a long time, is refillable, spreads just a little cornstarch and is fairly cheap, My Wilton instructor suggested it, and it works great.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:10am
post #42 of 51

I had a question. I didn't see it in the other posts, but might have missed it. I know you put the mmf on the cookie when it is warm. do you outline or even frost when it is warm too or do you let it cool first? thanks.

Happybug98 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:11am
post #43 of 51

Lovetofrost- I usually add my MMF after my cookies have cooled. I add all of my detail then. icon_smile.gif

Linedancer - What brand do you buy and where is the best place to get them? I just want to make sure that what I get is safe for food. icon_smile.gif

linedancer Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:05pm
post #44 of 51

Happybug98 - Handi Wipes is a national brand. They are made by Clorox. I cound not find out if they were food safe. I would think they would be better than a knee-hi stocking, which some say to use. Wilton makes a bag you can buy, that is more than likely food safe. But I did not like it. If you decide to go the handi wipe route, I probably got mine at Walmart, but they are readily available.

Lovetofrost - I know some folks here on CC like to put their fondant on warm cookies. But I usually bake around 10-12 dozen at a time. It keeps me busy just getting them baked. So I bake one day and decorate another. It lets me enjoy the decorating more and doesn't wear me out so much.

Happybug98 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:35pm
post #45 of 51

Thanks for the info. icon_smile.gif

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 6:44am
post #46 of 51

I finally got my cookies made, and just want to give a "special" thanks to Happybug98, linedancer, and toleshed for sticking in there with me. Thanks for ALL of the information! I couldn't have done it without your help. Everyone loved them. I posted a picture for you to see. Once again, "Thank You"!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:58pm
post #47 of 51

i have been reading lots about MMF and can't wait to try it (i plan on making a batch today infact-before i go to work) thanky happybug for all the great tips-i love making cookies and anything that makes it faster and easier is fine by me-also you mention rolled buttercream-what is that exactly and do you work it the same as the MMF? much appreciation form a fellow cookie-crazed-perfection-wanted fanatic (haha)

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:21pm
post #48 of 51

JudyDP, you did a great job on those cookiesc and that is the cutest pic! Looks like all things went well with the great advice you recieved!

linedancer Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:28pm
post #49 of 51

JudyDP, I agree with doitallmom, you did a great job. Hope you enjoyed it very much, and I am sure you got lots of oooh's and aaah's icon_smile.gif

Happybug98 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:57am
post #50 of 51

Judydp- Your cookies look great!! I would never believe that this was your first time working with this combination of cookie/cookie icing if it were not for this post. You have done a fabulous job and you should be very proud. I can only imagine over time what works of art you will create. Keep up the great work and definately continue to post your pics I look forward to seeing them!!! thumbs_up.gif

Happybug98 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:09am
post #51 of 51

MichellesArt-

Below is the recipe I use when making RBC. It is sweat like RI but you can flavor what ever your prefence is. I like the fact that with RBC it is soft when you bite into the cookie. As for applying it to the cookie I use Corn Syrup. You can either brush it on, use your finger or place in a plastic bottle if you do not like the mess. I usually apply my RBC after my cookie has cooled. As far as making the icing you have to have a heavy duty mixer with a dough hook. There is no way around this. Also it is more expensive to make than RI or Marshmallow Fondant.

1 C Karo (light corn syrup)
1 C Shortening (I prefer Crisco)
½ tsp Fine Salt (popcorn salt)- Walmart is the only place I have been able to find this.
½ tsp Extract of your choice (almond, lemon, orangeâ¦.your choice)
1 tsp Clear Vanilla Extract
2 lb Powdered Sugar

Cream together shortening and Karo. Add salt and flavorings and mix well. Switching to the dough hook on your HEAVY DUTY mixer, add sugar, one cup at a time until combined. Mixture will be extremely thick. Turn-out dough and knead using more powdered sugar if sticky â for at least 2 minutes.

Store in airtight container and/or Ziploc bag either at room temperature or the refrigerator.

If you see that the RBC seems oily after being in the Ziploc bag just add a small amount of Powdered sugar on your hands and knead it into the icing and that should help.

I hope this helps and Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%