Fondant Flowers And Size Of Cake?

Decorating By stacylambert Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 7:33am by Texas_Rose

stacylambert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacylambert Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:27am
post #1 of 4

I'll post two questions in one here. The first: How do you attach small, dried fondant flowers to the side of a cake? Would a dab of royal be enough or should I use toothpicks? I'm thinking of something like joelni's cake:

Secondly, I'm donating a cake to an event where they are expecting about 60 people. how big should the cake be (tiers, not sheet)? I know there are serving charts with wedding serving sizes, but is that realistic for other events as well?

3 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:15am
post #2 of 4

So far as attaching fondant flowers to the side of a cake... If you are attaching to fondant, then all you need is a little water, or fondant "glue" (little ball of fondant melted over night in a little water - slimy). If you are attaching to buttercream, then just use icing or the royal, either should work.

Here is the link to the wilton serving charts. Notice that one is for Party Servings which are 1 1/2" x 2" x 4" icon_smile.gif

http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/index.cfm

Here is a really good picture showing the cake sizes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=88648

HTH,
Pat

stacylambert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacylambert Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:07am
post #3 of 4

Thank you!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:33am
post #4 of 4

I attached dried fondant flowers to fondant with little dabs of buttercream. Some of them were kind of big, and it still worked perfectly. (it's the pink and red birthday cake in my photos) I've attached fondant pearls to fondant with buttercream also.

I bet it was hard to make that much icing come out that red...I have trouble with it getting dry and wanting to crack up when I try to make red fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%