Fondant Question-----Really Long!

Decorating By martmarg Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 10:31pm by Jazz2U

martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 9

I know there might be a lot of threads about this topic but with this site being down constantly it's hard to retrieve any info. I am not complaining, but it's been harder for all of us to get some info when we need it. Typically when we are having problems of some sort.
Anyway, last weekend i had a quinceanera cake order. Two tiers, 10" and 8", with a doll cake on top covered in fondant. Ok, so a week before the date I baked half of the cakes (I needed 2 of each for double layers). I used some springform pans that typically bake my cakes beautifully, but each layer ended up being like 2 1/3" in ht. I made the WASC recipe, well one the 10" sunk in the middle completely. I decided i had to make another one, and did so 2 days before I needed to put the cake together. Stored everything no problems. Made the fondant, no problems. So the day I was going to put everything together, the day before the party. I torted the cakes and frosted them. When it comes to roll out the fondant i had so many problems.By the way I made Toba's recipe posted on this site. I tried different alternatives to rolling it out.First it stuck to the counter then it tore, then it stretched. I wasn't rolling it too thin i made sure of that, Used powdered sugar and ended up using shortening and I think I might have used more than needed. Finally I rolled it on a piece of vinyl and that worked . Covered all my cakes wonderfully. I doweled the cakes and I decided to add extra dowels to my bottom cake and cut them a bit bigger so the top cake woudn't have to sit directly on top of the bottom tier because it was too heavy. It crushed the fondant. Fine was able to fix it. Next day the fondant on the bottom tier is even more wrinkled from one side. So I took the doll cake off and turned it to the other side and the cake kept settling and wrinkling the fondant. Drove the cake to the event place and the cake seemed to settle more with drive .

Somehow was able to fix but how do you prevent that from happening. What did I do wrong? How do you roll the fondant so that it doesn't stick and it doesn't break so much? For some reason this fondant was so stretchy. Was it the shortening? First time using this recipe. I've used MMF before and it's stretchy but for some reason this seemed even more? I don't know.

The person liked the cake and even called me to tell me how pretty it was but still I didn't feel comfortable with it. I don't have a picture to show right now. I will post one as soon as I can. Thanks for any input.

8 replies
ruthberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthberry Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 9

sometimes my MMF is amazing, beautiful, stretchy, and easy to work with. sometimes it's too dry and cracked looking.

my solution? I ordered satin ice.

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 9

I use Toba's with no problems. Was it still sticky after you kneaded in the sugar? Did you let it sit for at least a day? It is often too stretchy of you don't have enough sugar or it is too warm. I roll it to 1/4 inch thickness over powdered sugar. If i make the chocolate Toba's I roll it out on shortening because the chocolate makes it a little more dry. I stack cakes all the time with no problems...maybe your cake wasn't baked all the way or it was too soft? Without a picture it is hard to say.

martmarg Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 9

ercaann79....i did everything you mentioned and I still had problems. Mainly with the first rolling for the first cake. The next ones went a little smoother but the fondant was still sticky . I had to use sugar and shortening to roll and to handle it. thanks for responding to my post.
LL

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 9

Have you tried mmf?

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 9

I think the cake looks lovely... Good Job!

Jazz2U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazz2U Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 9

I use Wilton or Satin Ice fondant so I'm not sure it this will work but I put my fondant on the way I learned in my Wilton class. Use the Wilton measuring/fondant mat. I lightly coat it with grease. When I get the size & thinness I need, I slide my arm under the mat, lift it next to the cake & sort of get the side matched to the bottom of the cake, then lay it on the cake mat & all. I make sure it's going to cover the cake & then peel off the mat from the fondant. I was immediately in love with fondant after than. Still can't buttercream a decent darn cake though! It just kills me!!

martmarg Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you mommy_of_3_DDs!

Jazz2U--I don't have a Wilton mat but I used a clear vinyl mat. The kind you buy by the roll. It kept sticking to the counter and then I remembered somebody on here had mentioned that they used a vinyl mat and I just happened to have some in one of my teaching supplies ( i am a teacher) and used that and it worked like a charm but the fondant was still too soft I noticed and I don't know whether its from the grease.

Jazz2U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazz2U Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 9

That's a great idea using the vinyl sheeting/tablecloth type(?)! I'll have to try that! I go through about 3 a year & I'm just making cakes for friends and family!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%