Had To Say "no" Twice In 2 Days...

Business By indydebi Updated 31 Mar 2008 , 2:25pm by indydebi

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 13

I never got these calls before I moved into my storefront, so I guess it's just part of it....

Lady calls at noon and asks if I do birthday cakes. I say yes. She says, "Great. I need it today and i need it to say...." I interrupt her with "whoa whoa whoa, it doesnt' work that way. I don't have cakes stacked up in my freezer waiting for someone to need one. My cakes are custom made to order only." She said, "So you couldn't get one out by 4:30?" icon_eek.gif I laughed and said, "Not even if I DIDN'T have 300 cookies and a 4-tier wedding cake on the baking schedule AND 150 mints and chocolate seashells to mold and paint on the schedule for today." She asked if I had any other suggestions other than Walmart and Kroger. I said, "If you are wanting a birthday cake in 3-4 hours, then walmart or kroger are about the only ones who have cakes stacked up in their freezer for last minute sales."

Who waits until NOON the day of the birthday to order (ORDER!) a cake? Thank you 24/7 walmart environments!

Bride calls me yesterday wanting a wedding cake for next month. She says she knows it's last minute, but it's a small cake. I ask how many people. She says, "Well, it's just for the bridal party. We're going to have other cakes in the back and centerpiece cakes for the guest tables." I said, "Let me stop you right there. Due to reputation protection and liability issues, I cannot provide cake to an event where other cakes will be provided..." I then explain how I would be sued if someone got sick on the other cakes; how reputation is at stake ... what if the other cakes are bad? etc.

I also told her, "You will probably find that most decorators have that same policy. Since you bought centerpiece cakes, which are usually more expensive than just getting a regular wedding cake, you're probably looking to save some money. And since you're just wanting a token wedding cake, you might as well just call walmart ... I'm sure they have a small wedding cake in their freezer that they can slap together just for a small cake for the head table."

My sister was with me during that call and I asked her, "Did you understand why I did that?" (wanting to get a cake-civilian's reaction). She said, "Oh I understood perfectly! I never would have thought of it that way, but it makes total sense to me, once I hear you explain it!" I also told her it was a little irritating that this bride spent the bulk of her money on centerpiece and back-room cakes with someone else and wants me to just do the cake that I'm sure the thinks will be about twenty bucks!

Gosh, I think walmart shoujld pay me a commission on all of this business I'm sending them! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

12 replies
gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 13

LOL!!!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 13

Wow! You *should* get a commission from Walmart!! icon_smile.gif

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 13

I agree with you. Why would someone ask the best bakery in the area to do the cake for the Wedding party ( ok, they wanted the best cake for themselves and to heck with the quest ) why not have who ever they got the rest of the cakes from to do that one also.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 13

How Funny ! You go girl ! That was crazy !

JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 13

Hehehehe.... glad you took the time to explain it to them. That way maybe they won't try and sucker another independent decorator without the backbone and experience that you have into making their cakes! WalMart definitely has it's perks!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 13

Hahahahaha, Hey Deb, I didn't know your second job was in advertisement for Wallys. thumbs_up.gif Too funny, but sad to say oh so true.

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 13

I had a call last weekend (Easter) for two dozen cupcakes. She called me at 1:30pm on Friday and wanted the cupcakes at 6pm that evening. Not only did I have a major 3D birthday cake due, but I also had a tiered Easter cake for the next day...all of which I was working on at the same time. She didn't understand why I couldn't get the cupcakes out to her! I explained that I was swamped and that I would 'possibly' be able to get her cupcakes out the next day. She then asked, "Don't you have any frozen?"...Um, no! Who the hell does she think I am?!?!? Yup, that would be Wally World!"

Geez...if you want frozen cupcakes at the spur of the moment, get them at a grocery store for crying out loud...don't call a specialty bakery!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:42am
post #9 of 13

I get calls like that all the time....."no, frozen cakes just sitting around hoping to get sold" duh.

how funny!

melody

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:55am
post #10 of 13

Well, Debi, would tomorrow morning be too soon for a tasting? I'd really like to taste 8 different flavors and I AM getting a 200 person wedding cake. So tomorrow at 9am? you free? have all that cake ready for me to try? Oh and instead of the regular pinapple flling, I was thinking maybe a pineapple orange willing would taste better.

indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:57am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

Well, Debi, would tomorrow morning be too soon for a tasting? I'd really like to taste 8 different flavors and I AM getting a 200 person wedding cake. So tomorrow at 9am? you free? have all that cake ready for me to try? Oh and instead of the regular pinapple flling, I was thinking maybe a pineapple orange willing would taste better.

yeah no problem! Here, let me set my alarm .... for 10:30 a.m.! icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 1:36pm
post #12 of 13

oh man I hate that old "I Just need a small cake" Do people not realize that it takes just as long to prepare, bake and decorate a "small cake" as a big cake???

I get a lot of calls too for people who want a birthday cake like that day...I always want to ask if the person whos birthday the cake is for suddenly change their birthday cake?

Did you hear Geoff on Ace of Cakes the other week? He said they hardly ever do baby showers because they book up so far in advance, you have to know you are going to get pregnant to get a baby shower cake! hahha!

Tell them they can book their cake for NEXT year now!

indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:25pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

oh man I hate that old "I Just need a small cake" Do people not realize that it takes just as long to prepare, bake and decorate a "small cake" as a big cake???

I like the ones who think no border is less work for me. I ALWAYS tell them, "Oh you're going to make me work harder on this one, aren't 'cha?" When they get that surprised look on their face, then I explain how much extra time is involved to get those seams flawless (with no border) and how much extra time is involved to get the sides flawless (with no decor ... no scrolls, no dots, no nothing). It doesnt' change anything for me or them. I just want them educated on what's involved! Every single time, I see a look of amazement and a "I didn't know that!" come out of their mouth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%