Long-Distance Delivery

Decorating By dbuesing Updated 13 Jan 2007 , 10:37am by boring

dbuesing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbuesing Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 1:47am
post #1 of 17

I just wanted to get an idea of how far you all are willing to deliver a cake. I have a potential wedding cake in August that's to go to a location 300 miles from my home.

1.) Would you do it?

2.) What kind of delivery fee would you charge?

16 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 17

300 miles? A 600 mile round trip? I wouldn't do it. If they want it bad enough, I would tell them they would have to transport it themselves. If you really want to do the cake, you'll have to charge a ton for the delivery, as you're talking a whole day of your life in the car! I wouldn't deliver it for less than a $100 fee.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 17

It would have to be a really big job to make it work it. You have a fragile cake, traveling about SIX hours in AUGUST!

Unless you have a refrigerated truck, I would say the transportation would be a nightmare.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 17

transportation at $1 a mile, thats a $300 delivery fee. If they wanted to pay it, depending on the cake i just might do it. Here the furthest i've had to go with a cake is about 70 miles.

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 17

I went a little over 200 miles once.. they paid $1 a mile.

dbuesing Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 12:03am
post #6 of 17

Traveling with cake in the August heat was something I was concerned about too...but if I do this, I am considering leaving with the cakes (unassembled, of course) in the middle of the night--when it's cooler--in order to get to the reception site the morning of the wedding. And cranking up the A/C.

People have really paid $1/mile? Wow! I was thinking maybe 50 cents a mile...

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 10:05am
post #7 of 17

well, when you figure 300 miles it is really 600 miles cause you have to come back. Hopefully that is mostly open roads.

tammylenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammylenz Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 10:36am
post #8 of 17

I see you are from MN. Where would you be traveling from-to? I am also from MN.

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 11:47am
post #9 of 17

I would find out what kind of facilities you would be setting up in..do you have a kitchen available to you to get everything ready? This can help you with your planning and decision as well. Definately would not charge less than a dollar a mile. That is a LONG freakin trip. But then again, what do I know. I am still waiting on my first wedding order. I cant WAIT!!! Good luck, let us know what you decide!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 17

I can't believe anyone would pay $300 for a delivery charge. I was thinking approximately 10 hours round trip (though it's probably more, granted). Still, that would be charging between $25 and $30 an hour to drive. I know I don't charge enough, but I also know I'd never pay someone that much. I also know that I'd think long and hard about taking on such a project. Only if I could make a fun trip out of it!

dbuesing Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 3:27am
post #11 of 17

tammy--

I live in western MN (Montevideo). The wedding is going to be in Omaha, Nebraska.

I used to work with the groom's mother. She offered to take the cakes down when they go for the wedding, as long as they're not hard to set up. I don't know how I feel about that, either--I'm too much of a control freak! icon_biggrin.gif

I guess I'll have to wait and see what kind of cake the bride wants...

tammylenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammylenz Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 7:31am
post #12 of 17

I hear ya on the control freak thing I am the same way. I guess if she is offering to take it down with her then I would accept it and instead of making a tiered cake maybe do one on a fancy cake stand so all she has to do is put the cakes in the proper place and she won't have to mess with tring to stack them.

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 9:00pm
post #13 of 17

oh gosh I dont know how I would feel about having someone else drive my cake down would she take the same care and leave in the middle of the night would she know how to handle the cake would she smudge it or put a finger print in it and then my cake with my name would be displayed I to am a control freak about my cakes and I dont think my nerves could handle it what kind of cake were you thinking about makeing what is there budget for the cake that could make a real difference because if its a 150 dollar cake and a 300 dollar delivery charge it may not be worth the cost and I personally would not drive all that way for under 300 and thats being resonable with gas prices the way they are i might charge gas plus a dollar a mile and my normal set up fees and for all of that so for me if i made a cake that i would sell for say 300 and then calculate in fees and charges the bride would be paying like 900 for the cake and for 900 dollars she could buy a stunning cake in omaha.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 2:22am
post #14 of 17

I'd say its there cake after its made I would give it to them and what ever happens isn't your problem have them sign for it when it leaves you and stack it with all the dowels you need. I have one in August that is going on a 6 hr drive and they are picking it up on there way. It use to bother me but not any more.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 12:08pm
post #15 of 17

I have delievered a cake from Australia to America and posted cakes to Canada and England from Australia. I take cakes from Sydney to Brisbane which is about 1000kms. I just recently sent cakes to Norway from Australia. The cakes that were posted to Canada I charged postage. The others were for family. Not sure I would do it for an order but have taken a cake from Sydney to Blackheath, not sure on the milage, this was an order. I have also posted a cake to Melbourne.

kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 12:21pm
post #16 of 17

Shit you really posted cakes fom Aus to canada.

Well i know i would'nt travel 300miles with a cake it's really flattered to be asked but it really isn't worth the stress and bother. If they want to collect it and travel, that far thats their problem if all goes well.

When i get married next year i will be travelling for about 8 hours from my house to scotland. and thats with my own cake i would never do it with an order, if it did go horribly wrong at least i would be able to salvage it. It will also help that 2 tiers will be fruit cake which is a lot easier to travel.

God luck what ever you decide.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 10:37am
post #17 of 17

I sure did post a cake to Canada and one to England and both were Fruit cakes the only type of cake that will carry that way. We also drove for 8 hours with a cake that had delicate ending on it with a pecular stand hence it fell backwards on to the frilling and it had to be fixed when we got there but that was all that happened none of the flowers had any trouble travelling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%