I Need Help With This Icing Technique

Decorating By CSMoore Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 11:01am by debster

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 29

Okay everybody. I feel like a retard because I am putting too much thought into the below cake icing technique. This is my 2nd cry out for help. I've tried icing the cake with a spoon, knife, and spatula. I have to do this cake in 2 weeks and right now I am not confident. Will some please explain this technique that I call "icing a cake the old fashion way". I remember seeing cakes iced like this when I was a kid. It can't be this hard. Somebody please help me or tell me what you would do. Would you icing the cake smooth and then put a thin layer in certain places??? I am completely lost and don't know what people mean when they say make a swirl with the spoon to get this look. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks

Cmoore
LL

28 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 29

I actually haven't done it........so take my advice or noticon_smile.gif
It seems to me one would ice the cake thickly, then use a knife or spoon to 'swirl' it.
I really think you are putting much to much thought into this icon_smile.gif You say you have tried it, Do you have pix for us to see how it turned out?
I bet it's not so far off.

Ooohhh, oh, oh......just had a lightbulb idea: I wonder if it's the *icing*. A cooked type meringue might work for this method better.

crablegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crablegs Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 29

I would like to try this style also

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 29

It doesn't look "swirled" to me, but like the icing was applied very thickly and then a spatula or spoon was used to scrape off a little at a time.

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 29

It seems to me that to make the swirls and texture with the icing: just do all the stuff we've trained ourselves not to do, i.e. instead of keeping the spatula or bench scraper smooth against the cake and turning it on a turntable to get a perfect smooth surface, use an angled spatula (with the round tip) to curve and curl the swirls in the icing. If you could see my wrist movement right now, you'd understand- and the people who can see me at my computer would, too! Hope that helps some!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 29

. . . yup . . . I think you are over thinking it . . . why don't you just do a practice sheet . . . I would just spread the buttercream over the surface and then use the back of a spoon to make random shapes and swirls (short "c" shapes more or less, and some backward short "c" shapes until I got the effect I was looking for) . . . I'm pretty sure this is very simple . . . it seems to me this is the method my mom used to ice a cake (and she was no decorator shhh.gif but don't tell her I said so icon_lol.gif )

CSMoore Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 29

The customer wanted buttercream but I could use non-crusting bc..that may work a little better. I haven't taken any pictures of what i've done..i guess i should and maybe I am being to hard on myself...i don't know but i don't feel confident about how it has turned out

CSMoore Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 29

I wish I could see your wrist movement krazykat_14 because i really am making this harder that it is. I have done trial runs with and without cakes and put icing on the bottom of a sheet cake pan. The cake in the picture looks clean and neat to me like a stragty was used to design the look...almost like is was icing smooth and then small patches of icing were applied since most of the peaks or angles appear to be straight and clean, not curved. I've tried that and I still don't have the right wrist motion. I need for somebody to video tape doing this technique and send it to me!!!! I really wish!!

CSMoore Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 29

I wish I could see your wrist movement krazykat_14 because i really am making this harder that it is. I have done trial runs with and without cakes and put icing on the bottom of a sheet cake pan. The cake in the picture looks clean and neat to me like a stragty was used to design the look...almost like is was icing smooth and then small patches of icing were applied since most of the peaks or angles appear to be straight and clean, not curved. I've tried that and I still don't have the right wrist motion. I need for somebody to video tape doing this technique and send it to me!!!! I really wish!!

CSMoore Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 29

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:33pm
post #11 of 29

I have a carrot cake with cream cheese icing that I ice like this all the time. You don't need anything more than your icing and your spatula. Just put the icing on very thick and twist your wrist about 1/4 turn back and forth constantly while you are icing. You end up with kind of wavy looking icing. Then go back and throw in a little random swipe of the spatula here and there and.....voila! Does that make any sense, at all? icon_confused.gif The most important step is to learn to love the random nature of it. If you fuss over it, it will never ever look right.

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 29

Spread the buttercream on thickly, then with the back of say a dessert spoon (the rounded bit) press into the buttercream which will make an indent. Go all round doing this then take a smaller spoon if you want and just do some extra marks if you want different size markings.
Just press and twist slightly.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:41pm
post #13 of 29

I have done this with the back of a spoon...I so easy you will wonder why you gave it so much though!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:48pm
post #14 of 29

You Know What - it is possible the decorator cannot re-create this exact look. It is beautiful but I don't think it is a special technique. Just give it your best shot (a random look is easy) be neat about it and be satisfied with your effort. You'll do fine!!

CSMoore Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:49pm
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam7

I have a carrot cake with cream cheese icing that I ice like this all the time. You don't need anything more than your icing and your spatula. Just put the icing on very thick and twist your wrist about 1/4 turn back and forth constantly while you are icing. You end up with kind of wavy looking icing. Then go back and throw in a little random swipe of the spatula here and there and.....voila! Does that make any sense, at all? icon_confused.gif The most important step is to learn to love the random nature of it. If you fuss over it, it will never ever look right.

Jam7....thanks for the explanation..i can see it a little better now...I will give it another try tonight.

CSMoore Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:52pm
post #16 of 29

thats exactly why this has been difficult for me because i think its a technique instead of just doing it randomly...i can't wait to get home and try again with my cake dummy...i appreciate everyone advice...thanks a bunch and i'll let you all know how it goes and i'll post a picture of my trial run this

CSMoore Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 1:39pm
post #17 of 29

Okay everyone....thanks for all of the help!!! The cake turned out awesome and the bride loved it. Here are pictures.
LL
LL
LL

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:51am
post #18 of 29

CSMoore.. It turned out beautiful !!! The icing looks perfect ! So what did you end up doing to get it to ice that way ?? I also cant get that look and have always wanted to ! I have beeen reading and following this thread ! Congrats to you !

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:21pm
post #19 of 29

wow it looks awesome! do tell what you ended up doing! so pretty. i love the colors!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:26pm
post #20 of 29

Turned out beautifully!! Great work!

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:39pm
post #21 of 29

That turned out beautifully. I love the way it blends in with the table cloth. Very elegant. How did you end up doing it?

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:36pm
post #22 of 29

It's gorgeous! I love this look! It's a nice break from "smoothness" that every bride seems hung up on. I've going to try this look for my next wedding show.

Thanks for starting this tread. You did an awesome job!

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:50pm
post #23 of 29

Great Job!

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:26pm
post #24 of 29

Beautiful Cake and I love this look icon_biggrin.gif

CSMoore Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 10:24am
post #25 of 29

Thanks everyone. I really was stressing for nothing. All I did was make my icing a little thicker than normal after I did my crumb coat. Then I just packed it on really thick with my spatula while going around the side of the cake and holding my spatula upwards the long way...i did shoot for the same thickness all the way around.. This way by far, the easy wedding cake i've done...thanks to all of you for your help.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 10:27am
post #26 of 29

i like this style it's like.... low-maintenance cake! LOL

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 10:34am
post #27 of 29

wow I love it!!! Turned out beautiful!!!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 11:00am
post #28 of 29

Are you talking about the way they iced the cakes on the Betty Crocker commercials, way back in the days of old?

I would love to learn that, too!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 11:01am
post #29 of 29

Wow this is beautiful, I can see where I would have trouble with this since smoothness is pushed into my mind. I REALLY like this look, you did well!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%