Sugarshack Adding Coffee Creamer To Water??

Decorating By snoopy3 Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 10:22pm by sugarshack

snoopy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snoopy3 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 6

I watched the sugarshack video on youtube. Why would you use coffee creamer in hot water, does this create the same flavor as adding milk, but then you don't have to worry about spoiling??

Just curious, as I am always looking at trying new things... or is to add flavor? I have read that if you use milk in your icing, you don't need to refrigerate. Although I have done this and sometimes I think that I can smell sour milk?! (maybe it is just me, not on the cake, but I can smell it when I have my containers out and and putting in pipping bags)

any insight??

5 replies
manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 6

I know that I do not refrigerate a cake where milk is used in the buttercream but I do refrigerate any icing that is left over for up to two weeks. I have never stored buttercream outside of the fridge so I don't know about a sour smell.

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 6

I don't know.....I think that SS can be the only one to really answer this question. I would assume it is for either a "creamier" taste or a milk substitute.

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 6

Only she can answer for sure, but I know that adding coffee creamer to things makes for a much creamier, more flavorful end product.

My grandmother actually clued me into using coffee creamer for a lot of recipes. I use it in my homemade skin on mashed potatoes and it makes them incredible! Even if I'm cheating and using instant, I'll throw a handful of powdered creamer in...coffee mate only though!

As far as using it so it won't spoil, I don't think that has much to do with it. Icing made with milk or even real cream won't spoil. The sugar prevents that from happening.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 6

It is because creamer is non dairy and you dont' have to refrigerate.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 6

The coffee creamer powder is mixed at a higher concentration for the icing than if you were making it for coffee to drink. So it is richer and creamier than milk, IMO.

But I am sure milk works too.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%