post #32 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkyo

Where can you ge tthe 3 oz. cups.

GFS or any restaurant supply.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 3:50am
post #33 of 127

I use the 2 oz souffle cups with lid. I just got them yesterday at Sams.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 3:55pm
post #34 of 127

There are some wonderful ideas for doing shows on this thread! Thank you all so much for contributing.

I have been invited by a caterer (no charge to me) to be in his booth at the upcoming wedding expo to sell my cakes. He says there is no other cake vendors at the show so he's hoping by having me there it will attract more brides to his booth.

Neither of us have done a show and I've gotten some great ideas here. My question is do you bring forms for the brides to put their contact info on? Do you book weddings and tastings while at the show? Do you do any kind of raffle? Do you offer a discount if they book at the show? What incentives if any do you offer the brides?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 7:11pm
post #35 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

My question is do you bring forms for the brides to put their contact info on? Do you book weddings and tastings while at the show? Do you do any kind of raffle? Do you offer a discount if they book at the show? What incentives if any do you offer the brides?

The show usually provides a listing of the registered brides. I took a notepad and wrote down name, date and email address of the brides I spoke with (just because I'm anal like that!).

I have not booked weddings or tastings at a show .... if you have a successful and busy booth, you only have about 30-60 seconds per bride. Most will be there to gather info ... not many go to a bridal show with the idea of "I'm booking my cake today". Some do ... but not many.

I do not raffle. you might check with the show to see if it's permissible. Shows I have been in ask the vendors to donate something to the door prizes the show is giving away anyway.

I don't offer a show discount, but I know a photographer who does, and he only allows it "if you book within one week of the show".

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 12:47am
post #36 of 127

I haven't read through all of the posts, but I read several and I think most have really touched on most of the important things like displays, cards, photos, brochures, professional clothes, signs, comfortable shoes, samples, forks, etc...

Here's two things that I've learned from doing dozens and dozens of shows...

1. brides almost never remember where they got their samples from, so I pre-package mine with a sticker label on it with my business information. This way they can take them with them and eat them when their hands aren't full.

2. For some reason many brides think that if they only see 3 displays, that you can only do 3 designs! Not true of all of them, but unfortunately true of way too many!! So I always had 12-18 displays at every show. If you have a wide variety available, they look at them and know that you're very versatile.

Here are a few pictures of some shows I've done and the basic set-up that worked for me:
LL

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:39am
post #37 of 127

J-Pal, that's an awsome set up. Unfortunatly I will have a small space since I'm sharing it with the caterer who invited me. I will only have room for 1 display cake, but I will have a trifold with photos and my lap top with a slide show.

Thanks Indydebi for your tid bit on the show having the brides names. I guess I won't need my sign up sheet then. I'm kinda "tagging" along on this one so I don't have much info. On Monday I'm meeting with the caterer who invited me into his booth so I'll get more info.

I don't have brochures but I was going to print off a price & flavor list to pass out as well as my business cards. I was hoping to schedule some tastings while I was there too but after reading through this it doesn't look like it will work that way. I guess it'll be a learning experience!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:18am
post #38 of 127

I just did the big show (two days) last weekend...still trying to recover from it! I had about 10 cakes on display...I forgot who it was on here but someone posted they did a very tall cake to wow people at a show, so I did a 12 foot cake! People stopped from all over to see it! We had a slide show and about five books out of wedding cakes, and grooms cakes so people could look through them. I had a sign up paper for consultation with a ballot box for them to drop them in (got over 200 leads!) We brought everything in plastic containers so it was easy to pack up I had several photographers give me photos from weddings I had done so I had them blown up. I had "yard signs" made and chained them together..it worked out nicely! We gave out over 2500 pieces of cake! I agree, though, you dont get a break at all, so bring quick food you can eat and lots of water. And be comfy! My DH and StepSon cut cake, so I was able to talk to the brides, that was helpful! I actualy got two signed contracts at the show and have been very busy doing consultations, so it is very much worth it!

Good luck!!
LL

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 12:58pm
post #39 of 127

lorimoms, what a wonderful display.sounds like you did well. it is always nice to hear stories of shows, to know what to prepare for when new to someone else. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

donna

loriemoms Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:55pm
post #40 of 127

I was also surprised that I booked weddings at the show...I also only get about 20 seconds with each bride. I had brought some contracts with me and my little credit card machine and figured it couldnt hurt. One couple came to show, with cash in hand, to book a cake and a florist. They said I had the best tasting cake there, (they tried three different flavors) and I gave them a contract, they walked away, and came back with it filled in. I had a full consulation with them this week, where we went over the design and the other flavors and they were still very happy! The other couple's wedding is in about 2 months and they had been to a bunch of tastings, but didnt like any bakery they had talked to, and had resigned to the fact they had to have yecky tasting cake at their wedding. They tasted my cake and asked right away to book! (they are coming next week for a full consultation and design) But I agree, don't expect to book weddings at your show! A lot of brides won't even remember who they talked to, that is why we get names (and use the database used by the producer of the show) so we know who was at our booth. We drop them an email or a phone call (we put on our form asking which form of communication they prefer) and it refreshes thier memory!

A little off subject, but I noticed a lot more show specials at our show this year...Davids Bridal is pratcially giving wedding dresses away, a lot of caterers are doing half price sales on certain items and photographers are doing free engagement photo shoots. I think in a whole, the wedding industry to starting to suffer. I noticed at the show most brides wanted to talk price more then design. It is formost on their minds, more then ever! so be prepared to answer pricing questions..a lot of them put a photo of a cake in my face and said "how much would this cost"

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 6:15pm
post #41 of 127

Thanks for sharing!!

indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm
post #42 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

A little off subject, but I noticed a lot more show specials at our show this year...... I think in a whole, the wedding industry to starting to suffer.

I wouldn't jump on that bandwagon too soon. "Yeah, I heard there was a recession, but I refuse to participate."

the inquiries I'm getting are for MUCH larger weddings ... 200-350 guests. Of the 13 inquiries I've rec'd this past week, 9 of them were over 200 guests. One indicated she planned to spend over $100 per person for her 200-300 guests.

My average in 2008 was 112 guests. I implemented a price increase a few weeks ago and no one batted an eye. My average invoice for a catering in 2008 was $1800 ..... so far, on 2009 bookings, it's $2850. That's an average of ALL bookings ... ranging from the $275 wedding cake to the $10,000+ catering.

I have a book (not with me so pardon me if I get the title a little wrong) about "Don't lead the charge to the bargain basement" and it talks about not reducing pricing as a first defense. A marketing guy I know who charges $15,000 for his services, advises NEVER to discount. It's ok to add value but NEVER discount. I've spoken to other marketing experts, who say the same thing.

I read that Tiffany never discounts and never has a sale and the value of their product/service is not hurt by that policy. As I said in another thread, who wants to join me in becoming the Tiffany's of Cakes? icon_biggrin.gif

Having actually lived thru the recession of the 70's (ancient history to most of you), what I saw was people will scrimp and cut back on daily living expenses, but a wedding/birthday is a special event and they tend to throw caution to the wind and "do it right". They view it as a once in a lifetime event and should be celebrated as such.

That's not to say they aren't going to be savvy about how they spend their dollar. They are looking for the best value for their buck.

You know ..... They're looking for the "Tiffany's of Cakes"! icon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gif

loriemoms Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:36pm
post #43 of 127

Oh I agree, I just raised my prices too..especailly on the party cakes. Some of my party cakes cost more then wedding cakes! And I am still turning away orders. I noticed I am getting the larger weddings as well, but many are thinking of cake for 150 and then sheet cakes for the rest (which is fine with me..easier to transport and less decorating and I dont charge that much less for a sheet cake)

Its interesting that you mentioned Tiffanys...My DH used to work for them and I have to turn the keyboard over to him, I thought you would find this very interesting! (and does support a lot of what you are saying!)That if you ARe the Tiffany of cakes then you should always keep thinking that way!

Anyway, here he is. Happy reading!

Tiffany, Cartier and Harry Wilston were THE jewlery stores for the ultra rich until the 1980's when Avon bought out Tiffany. Avon quickly realized they has no idea how to run such a high end company and put Tiffany up for sale. The management group that Avon had put into place at Tiffany bought the company from Avon and quickly expanded from one store to 14 stores in the US and 12 in other countries. Up to this point Tiffany had never been bothered by a recession because the rich always have money, in good times and in bad times. But when the recession of 1990 came along Tiffany had changed from trying to sell one $10,000 trinket to trying to sell 10,000 $50 trinkets. In good times their stock skyrocketed. But when the recession hit the $50 trinkets were cut out of everyone's budget, Tiffany's stock fell from $54 a share to $22 a share in one month and the distribution center was closing at 11 am each day because there was nothing to ship. I was downsized along with many others which is why Lorie says I "used" to work for Tiffany's. Even Tiffany almost went under when they tried to sell to everyone and compete on price. They are still around because the returned to serviceing their high end customers.

(PS From Lorie: And no, I don't have any diamonds, but he sure bought some beautiful glassware home from employee sales!!)

indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:46pm
post #44 of 127

Lorie-hubby, very interesting story! A great illustration of what happens when you try to be everything to everybody!

(And if my hubby worked at Tiffany's and I didn't have any diamonds, I'd be finding a special place for that vase! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

loriemoms Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:22pm
post #45 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Lorie-hubby, very interesting story! A great illustration of what happens when you try to be everything to everybody!

(And if my hubby worked at Tiffany's and I didn't have any diamonds, I'd be finding a special place for that vase! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

It really goes to show you how careful you need to be!!

My DH's defense: A 10,000 diamond from Tiffany with a employees discount is still 9800 dollars. Who can afford that! (which I dont mind the vases, they really are beautiful! We have some champagne flutes that he got for a I am afraid to use, they are like paper thin georgous crystal)

And he got to deal with people like Marlo Thomas and Elizabeth Taylor!

I always tell my customers when they order tiffany blue cake boxes that I have the expert in that blue color! (they are so afraid it will be carolina blue which sometimes they just dont want!)

indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:33pm
post #46 of 127
Quote:

My DH's defense: A 10,000 diamond from Tiffany with a employees discount is still 9800 dollars. Who can afford that! .....And he got to deal with people like Marlo Thomas and Elizabeth Taylor!

Oh heck, the Thomas-Taylor stories are worth WAY more than a diamond! icon_surprised.gif Awesome!!! icon_biggrin.gif

And my hubby works at a Cadillac dealership, but I still drive an old cargo van! So I guess I'm with ya, then! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

loriemoms Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:46pm
post #47 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

My DH's defense: A 10,000 diamond from Tiffany with a employees discount is still 9800 dollars. Who can afford that! .....And he got to deal with people like Marlo Thomas and Elizabeth Taylor!

Oh heck, the Thomas-Taylor stories are worth WAY more than a diamond! icon_surprised.gif Awesome!!! icon_biggrin.gif

And my hubby works at a Cadillac dealership, but I still drive an old cargo van! So I guess I'm with ya, then! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Elizabeth Taylor apparently is a super duper sweetheart, which is unusual in that world. It isnt just an act, like it is with many other of these famous people!!

Do you delivery cakes in your cargo van? I guess I should start another thread on this, sorry to hijack this! But we need a larger delivery vehical and I test drove some cargo vans and I was afraid the cakes would fall over in them! So its mini van looking I have been doing....

indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:49pm
post #48 of 127

yes, that's the purpose of the van. They travel great. I use my 18x26 baking sheets, lined with no-skid material .... no problems!

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:56pm
post #49 of 127

Lorie, FYI on the minivan...my odyssey does not have the most ideal level floor situation. The back folds down, but I have to strategically place and it get sto be a pain. I would love a cargo van....

PS...I will be moving to your world this week...can't wait to meet you!

Julia

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 11:12pm
post #50 of 127

What a great topic! Thanks for bringing this back to the home page!! icon_smile.gif I hope to one day be able to have a booth at a bridal show and this post will certainly give me some great ideas! icon_smile.gif

Keep 'em coming everyone!!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:15pm
post #51 of 127

I want to say that all these comments helped me set up a very nice booth at the show last year. I don't know if it was a combination from everything I did, but peolpe still remember me almost 10 months after the show. I'm still geting apointments and contracts from people who went to that show.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:22am
post #52 of 127

Very good thread! I will definitely refer back in the future! Couple of questions...About how much does it cost to get a booth for a run of the mill show?

Also should I wait until I have a substantial amount of actual wedding cakes in my portfolio before I do one? I don't know, do people ask how many weddings you have done? I've only made one wedding cake and I wouldnt want to look like a loser. I am just about ready to open up for business.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:44am
post #53 of 127

merissa, I think the cost depends on the area and the size of the show I have seen them from 200 to 1200 and I think some are even more.

I think you should have a gew cakes to showcase so i would spend some time making fummies and phtographing them. Then I woul dmake different dummies for the show.

I have never had anyone ask me how many I have done, but I had about 10 dummies before I started having tastings.

Julia

indydebi Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:47am
post #54 of 127

Cost can range from $100 to $2000 or more. Depends on how big the show is, etc.

I've never had anyone ask me how many cakes I've made. If you have dummies on display, they can see the quality of your work. It's perfectly ok to tell them (if they ask), "We're a new shop getting ready to open and thought this show would be a good launch to get our name out there!"

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:09am
post #55 of 127

When I checked into shows in my area (Boston) the cheapest was $995.
This is a great thread!
Jen...

Solecito Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:01pm
post #56 of 127

I think this post will be great as a "sticky"

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:50am
post #57 of 127

FlowerGirlMN thanks for all your info. OMG. You sure know your stuff. Can't wait to do our first Bridal Show. And also believe to go big or go home!!! Love the brown tablecloths.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 12:26pm
post #58 of 127

Yeah, I gotta start working on the dummies soon. Thanks again for the advice!

Solecito Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:55pm
post #59 of 127

I was wondering.
To all the girls who had made a original design cake (or dummy) for a bridal show: Do you allow people to take pictures of your designs?
I mean I know a lot of us take ideas from here and there, but sometimes inspiration strucks and we make a very original design. Is is ok with you that other people might try to copy them?

Note: I'm using this thread so all info stays in one place.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:03pm
post #60 of 127

No, no pics. I have a framed sign that goes in the middle of my display that says, Please, no pictures.

True story: I had a woman angling to get a picture of one of my cakes at a show. I smiled and said, be sure to get a picture of that framed sign. She zoomed in on the sign, read it and slinked off with a "sorry."

And no, I don't care if I lose business because of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%