Fondant Bow Topper

Decorating By akslice Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 4:58pm by akslice

akslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akslice Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know where a tutorial is to make a fondant ( or gumpaste) bow topper. I saw one on CC, but it's not fondant. I want to make one with the big loops.

6 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 7

When you say "big loops", what exactly do you mean? Extra wide loops? Extra long loops? Just wondering so we can give the advice that you need. Do you have a picture of an example that you'd like to duplicate?

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 7

Here's a link to one by cakd boss. Let me know if the link doesn't work.
http://www.cakeboss.com/fondantbowtutorial.aspx

ruthberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthberry Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 7

not sure which type of bow you are looking for, but this video served as my inspiration:

hope it helps!

shadow79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadow79 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 7

I have used the one from cakeboss.com that is referenced in the reply above. It worked great! For my "glue", I used the wilton candy. The last cake I did I decided to try and make the bow out of gumpaste instead. I don't know that will go back to using fondant for bows anymore unless I am wanting to save money on a cake. The gumpaste dries so much harder and it allows you to make the loops thinner for a crisper, cleaner look...just fyi if you are interested! Happy cake decorating!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 7

I can tell you how to make the bows I made for this cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1202024

I bought a 3/4 inch diameter dowel (wanted 1" but they were out). I dusted it with cornstarch and hung it up from 2 loops of curling ribbon (so it would be easy to take down). I rolled and cut a bunch of 5" long, 3/4" wide strips of fondant. I used a clay shaper to smooth the sides, and the wilton pattern wheel to make the stitching effect. I draped the loops over the dowel and gently pinched the ends together on each seperate loop. I let them dry for about 24 hours.

I made long, thin strips of fondant and wrapped them loosely around plastic lollipop sticks for the curling ribbon effect, and put them aside to dry.

Then, I melted 2 oz of white candy coating in the microwave. I put a sheet of waxed paper into a cake pan the size of my top tier, and made a small blob of candy coating. I made a circle of loops inside the pan, sticking the ends into the candy coating. If the ends seemed like they would stick out too far, I trimmed them with kitchen shears. When the circle was complete, I put another spoonful of candy coating on top of the ends, and then added the next circle of loops, again trimming the ends if they needed it. Then I added more candy coating to the center and stuck in the top loops, nearly upright. That was it...then I set it aside to let it harden.

For the smaller bows with two loops, I took two loops that I had dried over the dowel, trimmed down the ends with kitchen shears, and "glued" the ends together with a blob of candy coating, which hardened really fast. I trimmed off any excess candy coating. Then I rolled more 3/4" strips of fondant, added the stitch pattern, and cut them to fit the center of the bow. I used a plastic lollipop stick to form a fold or two in the middle to look like fabric that had bunched up. I wrapped them around the middles of the bows and let them dry.

When it was all dry, I painted the bows with a mix of pearl dust and lemon extract.

Hope that helps!

akslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akslice Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for your replies! I have a lot to practice! Those were exactly what I was talking about!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%