How To Transfer Coloring Page To Cake

Decorating By dogluvr Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 1:23am by dogluvr

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 10

How is it done...to transfer a coloring page image to a cake. Other than using FBCT.......I have to make a Barney cake and see so many cute cakes here and would like to know how the transfer is done....I've always used the FBCT, but I want to fill this one in with the star tip.......thanks.

9 replies
dogluvr Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 10

also, does someone have a good barney page with just barney by himself.......thanks

dogluvr Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 10

anyone????

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 10

We learned one method of doing this in Wilton course 1. We taped waxed paper over the coloring book image and outlined the image in clear piping gel - if you want the figure to face a certain way, you'll have to do a reverse image. Then, you turn the waxed paper over onto the iced cake top, so the clear piping gel image goes face down on the cake. You are then left with a clear outline of the picture on the cake. You can fill the various areas with whatever colour of stars you want and outline the overall picture in whatever colour you want right over top of the clear piping gel. That's one way of doing it.

Other people use variations of a pinprick method. You can lay the color book page right on the top of the iced cake and poke tiny toothpick holes through the page and into the icing, creating the outline of the design in tiny pin holes on the cake. Fill in with stars and outline using the toothpick holes as your guide. Others prefer to lay the design on a towel (or similar softer item). Put a sheet of waxed paper on that. Put the color book page on top of te waxed paper and make toothpick holes all around the outline of the picture. When you lift the waxed paper off the towel, there should be indents on the back side of it everywhere you inserted the toothpick. Gently lay the waxed paper on the cake and smooth with your hand. The toothpick indents will press into the icing on the cake. Remove the waxed paper, and what you are left with is the imprint of the toothpick marks in the shape of the picture. Fill in and outline from there. Does that make sense?

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 10

On the bus and the turkey one I did I used the pin prick method. I transfered the image on the wax paper then pricked a hole around the edge and filled in the image from where the holes were. Hope this makes sense. Go to google and search preschool coloring pages of barney and lots will come up. the preschool ones are larger and not so much work. HTH

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 12:16am
post #7 of 10

I cut the image out, lay it on the cake and use a paring knife to "outline" that part, then I cut the picture apart and go around that until the picture is completely outlined and the original is pretty much destroyed....but my image is all outlined. hope that this makes sense to you icon_confused.gif

dogluvr Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 10

thank you for your responses.....they are certainly all good ideas.

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 10

Here's a pic of Barney by himself.

Step 1: Ice your cake in buttercream, let crust for at least 10-15min.
Step 2: Using a small writing tip (1 or 2), outline your image in black icing. Do this directly on the printed barbey image.
Step 3: Flip the paper over, black icing side down on the cake, and gently rub over the lines.
Step 4: Carefully peel off the paper. You should be left with a black and white outline of Barney on your cake.
Step 5: Go over the outline on the cake with black icing. Then just use a star tip to fill in the rest.

Note: Sometime, if it takes you too long to outline your image on the paper, the black icing will dry. And when you flip it on to your cake and genty rub, you'll be left with an imprint instead of actually transferring the black outline to the cake. Does any of this make sense????
LL

dogluvr Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:23am
post #10 of 10

yes, Marysmom......thank you very much. It does make sense....much more clearer now....and thank you for the picture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%